Gas bottle swap again.

misty

When we sold our Rapido we kept the gas bottles as we didn.t know what van we would get next.but the bottles are too big for the new van .(to us) an A/S Executive.dose anyone want to swap our 13kg FULL propane bottle for a FULL 6kg propane OR our HALF FULL bottle for an EMPTY 6kg bottle now thats not a bad offer is it.

..as I suggested on your other thread(,..which did get slightly side tracked :-S ),as you don't seem to be having any takers,it may be worth just trying to source a 6kg bottle from the likes of your local recyling centre(you may have to throw 'em a fiver ;-) ) or your local small ads? ..and maybe keep the big 'un in reserve..? (..gas bbq at home,maybe?)

..and Sods law,you'll change you van again in a couple of years...and that one'll probably use 13kg bottles?!? ;-)

If you have no luck with your swap of battles AND IF you have an external Barbi point on your van do this, fit a regulator to the 13 kg bottle and connect a gas hose to it, connect the other end of the gas hose to the Barbi point with the male connector and put gas INTO the van via this, This way at least you will be able to use up any surplus gas you have.,then you may find a Calor outlet that will swap the empty !3kg bottle for a 6 kg, we can do that here in Southampton ,swap I mean.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ah the great Calor bottle can't swap that size for that size swindle, it would be interesting to know just how many folk ever get their rental deposit back from Calor for the bottle they can't swap ! !.

Barbecue outlets are not designed as gas inlets.

There have been concerns over recent months that caravan users are misusing BBQ point gas outlets as inlets. This has been brought to the attention of and discussed by the NCC, the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club.

Prior to September 2003, the LPG pressure was 37mbar for Propane and 28/30mbar for Butane.

Since this date, with the introduction of EN1949, the fixed working pressure of LPG has been set at 30mbar and appliances within the caravan set at a maximum pressure (pmax) of 35mbar. If an LPG propane cylinder is connected to the BBQ point and the gas fed into the 30mbar system at 37mbar, this could over-pressure the appliances, in turn producing a "flame envelope" larger than it should be. This could then generate bad combustion that may lead to Carbon Monoxide gases escaping into the caravan.

It is important on the grounds of safety, that this unsafe practice is brought to the attention of caravan users, as they may be unaware of the consequences.

New caravans built to EN1949, should display the warning label shown here, inside the BBQ flap.

gasoutlet.jpg.af1820e34895e9fd08adce73eccbd29b.jpg

Point taken, In my Hymer 2003 reg, I have bottle regulators on my Calor bottles.I removed the bulkhead regulator and auto change over kit for simplicity ] and regularly change from propane to butane, [different regulators] and also often change to bottles of different Countries, ie. Spain,France etc with no problems, I have checked out the rating plates on my appliances and the blurb in the handbooks and all say between 37 and 28 milli bars is OK so there is NO problem putting gas into the system through the Barbi point and lots of folks do exactly this when on Spanish Camp Sites as you can borrow a Spanish bottle when there and just pay for the gas used, I would add however if you are in anyway unsure about doing this, don't do it.

Archived