Discover Leisure in trouble?

francisgraham

ips - 2011-10-17 3:01 PM

It was a very good buisiness before discover took it over, and the staff very helpful, and always was a very busy place

As was chorley branch formerly "Barrons" bought a few new caravans off them and loads of stuff in the past it was allways a good dealership .... until.. :-S

As was 'Mendip Caravans', near Weston-super-Mare, until Discover got their hands on the business a few years ago. We used to go regularly as it was only 10 minutes up the road from us. The original firm provided excellent service when we purchased a caravan from them. Good trade-in and after-sales experience.

Most of the staff appeared to change after Discover acquired the business and what a hopeless lot the new ones were, in our opinion. We were tempted by a rather nice used motorhome they had in stock, but the staff just didn't have a clue - so in the end we didn't purchase. Nonetheless, sad when Mendip was closed down - I still moan to this day every time I drive past.

And another thing - I always thought the Discover website was awful. When we were looking to buy a MH I was interested to investigate what vehicles they had at other sites. I wrote a polite and constructive note to the MD suggesting the website wasn't helping me identify a suitable van. Reply from a PA thanking me and advising they were 'just in the process of re-developing the site'. Never saw it improve significantly after that, however.

Sadly, I was not at all surprised by the final outcome last week.

Very sorry for all folk directly caught up in the unpleasant mess.

Rayjsj - 2011-10-19 9:50 AM

Spike,

let us know when you get your van back, and what you had to do to get it. Ray

Hi Ray,

Will do.

Not sure about the actual number of vehicles stored there, but I recon that it would be in excess of 100. Thinking about it, I wonder if there are any cars impounded there too? We had the habit (like many others) of driving up there in our car, and leaving it in our space until our return, which we did this just one week before their demise. Had this occurred one week later our car would now be inaccessible to us, and that would have been a major problem as my wife uses it mainly to drive to her place of work, and given that our MH insurance specifically stipulates the MH cannot be used for this purpose we would have been well and truly stuck.

Got a telephone call toady and I quote: ‘Discover Leisure has gone into administration and is going to close down. You have a van on site, so you have to come here and take it away’. I explained that I can only come at the weekend, to which he replied sorry, only open during the week 9 till 5. Have taken his number so as to make arrangements for during the week, I’m not impressed >:-(

with regard to cars being left at Discover, we always leave our car at the Cassoa storeage facility when we go to Spain for 6 weeks. Therefore:-

As a number of people go away and do not want TV or Internet, so that than can "really get away" then there could be some nasty shocks in store when they get home if they have stored at Discover Leisure.

This could also apply if people have taken a few weeks package holiday and their van is in storeage.

I personally cannot think of any way of alerting these unlucky souls and maybee an alternative point of contact ( relative/Friend) needs to be left for any one who stores on a similar commercial facility.

It makes me so angry >:-( when these company directors treat us like trash. No wonder there is a lot of mistrust around.

mike 202 - 2011-10-19 4:38 PM

with regard to cars being left at Discover, we always leave our car at the Cassoa storeage facility when we go to Spain for 6 weeks. Therefore:-

As a number of people go away and do not want TV or Internet, so that than can "really get away" then there could be some nasty shocks in store when they get home if they have stored at Discover Leisure.

This could also apply if people have taken a few weeks package holiday and their van is in storeage.

I personally cannot think of any way of alerting these unlucky souls and maybee an alternative point of contact ( relative/Friend) needs to be left for any one who stores on a similar commercial facility.

It makes me so angry >:-( when these company directors treat us like trash. No wonder there is a lot of mistrust around.

I feel the same way; imagine coming home from your hols to be greeted with that kind of news! The other problem is that some are not able to park their vans on their drive and will find themselves with the dilemma of being forced out of Discover with nowhere to go. If it’s possible I’m going to leave some info about the alternative site that I have found with the receiver, though I don’t suppose they would be interested in helping anyone.

To be honest, I feel a bit apprehensive about going for mine, fearing that it may have been vandalised. That being the case can’t see anyone taking responsibility.

We were away last weekend so i'd picked the van up on Thursday!!

we received a phonecall off a friend who'd visited there on Sunday to go to the shop to find out that it had gone into Administration.

I'm going to see a new storage facility in Leigh tomorrow. If i think that it's suitable I'll post the contact details on here. ;-)

Guest Peter James
Ina - 2011-10-17 4:21 PM

We live about 10 minutes walk from the Coppull branch, had a walk up there yesterday afternoon. There was a security guard, when he saw us walking towards the shop he started shouting to attract our attention (he appeared to be sat in a parked car). Told us they closed on Friday, but said he didn't know anything else, wouldn't even let us walk any further towards the shop entrance. Don't quite know what he thought we were going to do :-S

Apart from that we saw a few people drive in and out again.

Ina.

Sounds like he is doing his job.

Good News I think, he's keeping your van safe until arrangements are made for you to collect it :-)

Otherwise it could have been vandalised or stolen.

Archived