Drive away awnings

Mickydripin

Hi Does anyone know of a good sized canvas drive away awning I do not mean the plastic type ones it sounded like a thunderstorm while sitting inside.

I had one of them Movelite XL awnings but it took almost all of the pitch with the guide ropes and with the winds in France we could hardley hear ourselvs talk.

I was so fed up with it I gave it to some campers.

I know that they can be heavy but I have a good payload so that should not be a problem

Guest pelmetman
We have a Suncamp Maestro HT, which is the traditional type awning, and as you say quite heavy:D.......But we see that as a plus point as we tend to use it when onsite for long periods;-).........We have started putting it up away from the van and winding out the Fiamma to meet it, this way we get a large covered area and with the windbreaks a great dog garden:-)...........We've had a few comments from the odd warden, but as long as I'm only covering my pitch whats the problem:D........I still take up less space than a tugger with an awning:-D 

Hi and thanks to you both for your feedback another question that I forgot to ask was what is the best way to attatch it to your motorhome my van is a low profile one and at five foot seven I would have a problem getting up there.

I do not want to attatch an awning rail like a caravan or carrying a ladder would be OTT what would be the best way.

Mike.

Guest pelmetman

The drive away we have comes with a flap of fabric with eyelets, I just tied some cord on and chuck it over the van a peg it down on the other side, a lot easier than messing around trying to get it in the awning channel, especially if you intend driving of site on a regular basis, we can disconnect in a few minutes:D

This is ours.

675211301_001-Copyweb.jpg.c539f0789a1ddbf7ff2d781716e82af9.jpg

We use a couple of extending poles (Wilkinsons clothes line poles (about £4 each from memory) and a couple of cheap dent removers (Homebase £1 bin !!!) that sucker stick to the side of the motorhome to hold the poles and stop them from moving / marking the paintwork.

Rgds

If you do get the 'canvas' type awning and also have a Fiamma awning on your van, I would imagine you can use a 'figure of 8' fixing kit to attach it to the Fiamma - you just wind it out a bit, attached the piped tape, then the 'figure of 8' which you push onto the piped tape and awning 'tunnel' at the same time, then wind the Fiamma back in snugly against the van .... that's what we do with our Movelite.

Thanks pelmet man.

I used to do that on my older van but I used long straps and in the night when the wind got up they used to vibtate and make a terible noise I supose using cord would stop that another problem would be me worring that it would chaff the paint work on the corners.

Thanks Tony .

I was not thinking of putting the awning that close to the van I would be using the tunnel flap that comes off the awning to fasten on to the motorhome.

Thanks Mel.

Your suggestion I think will work well as the wind out awning drops a bit so that I can reach and put the figure of eight thing on and then wind the awning back again.

I do not know how strong they are but when I have sorted which awning to have I will give that a try.

The Movelite that you have is a great sized awning and easy to put up apart from trying to get them straps across the floor level and the large amount of guide ropes.

but as I wear an earing aid when the wind blows I can not hear people talk and it is quite deaffining that is why I think a canvas awning would be better.

Thanks all: Mike

Archived