What if?

nightrider

What if you were made redundant, how do you think you would fare? No chance of getting a new job, your savings if any, fast running out and then you find that your bills are mounting up and things are getting serious, what would you do? would it be a case of getting yourself down to the dole to register for work and make a benefit claim? I'm interested in what you might do?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knight of the road - 2011-10-16 3:12 PMWhat if you were made redundant, how do you think you would fare? No chance of getting a new job, your savings if any, fast running out and then you find that your bills are mounting up and things are getting serious, what would you do? would it be a case of getting yourself down to the dole to register for work and make a benefit claim? I'm interested in what you might do?

To give you a sensible answer, which I'm sure is what you want, I'd sign on immediately and claim benefits. You're obviously a man who has worked hard all of his life and paid taxes and if you found yourself on the dole you are entitled, both morally and legally, to get back some of the cash that you've paid in.

However, I would also be prepared to take a job that has less stature and less pay than what I'm used to. Future employers will be more impressed with someone prepared to do this than by a person who was too proud to lower himself and stayed on the dole for ever.

antony1969 - 2011-10-16 4:48 PMBang on a burka , claim to be gay and fake disability . Set up for life courtesy of our very generous welfare system . No need to worry no more .

Are you truly unable to work out what the above message says about you?

That anyone can think that being Muslim or gay would enable you to a greater claim for benefit shows an bigotry and ignorance that is simply breathtaking. As for faking disability, do you not read a newspaper or listen to the news? If you did you'd learn about the great  lengths that the authorities go to to weed out false claimants. And in the first place, when you start claiming you need very strong proof from a doctor that you are disabled and unable to work.

In the last week alone I've read about a man secretly filmed playing golf, a young man (in KOTR's neck of the woods) riding motocross races and, earlier this year, a couple also filmed running a stud farm! 

All of these people (and there are hundreds of similar cases) were claiming benefit and guess what? The three that I've mentioned and the vast majority of the others were white heterosexuals!

Before you now respond in your usual vein I'd be grateful if you'd prove me wrong and show me any evidence that wearing a burqa or being gay entitles you to any greater benefit privileges that anyone else.

The examples that I gave were all originally qualified to claim disability, because as I said earlier, you need strong proof. These cases are always about people whose health has improved but they deliberately chose not to inform the DHSS and continued to illegally claim benefit. 

The vast majority of disability benefit claims are made by the white indigenous population! 

knight of the road - 2011-10-16 4:12 PM What if you were made redundant, how do you think you would fare? No chance of getting a new job, your savings if any, fast running out and then you find that your bills are mounting up and things are getting serious, what would you do? would it be a case of getting yourself down to the dole to register for work and make a benefit claim? I'm interested in what you might do?

I should be able to answer this, been there, wanna Tee shirt anyone?

Sign on, with the job centre, check your mortgage policy for redundancy cover, apply for everything and if after three months of fruitless effort and a small fortune in postage you still haven't had a reasonable reply go out and take anything, it may not restore your earlier standard of living but it will stop the savings disappearing so quickly....... It also restores your feeling of self worth which most ex employees lose when suddenly thrown on the scrap heap.

Remember it was the board that F..** up and ruined the Company You know the same people who presented you with a gold watch for meritorious service and bonuses for exceeding your targets.

Look round is there something that you really wanted to do? Are you living in the right area to restart your life at 50? Remember you can't be made redundant if you are self-employed........ :-) 

Go to the Benefits Agency and claim JSA (Job Seekers Allowance). Circumstances are different for all of course but average payment is about £74.

A fortnight.

And that's for 6 months only. During that time you have to demonstrate and evidence your job seeking activity. Failure to do so can stop your benefit.

You cannot claim much else either - at this stage so don't build your hopes up for this that and the other - it doesn't exist.

Better to take the first available and doable job your offered. That's what I would do. That's what I used to tell the folk who were in my care too.

Martyn

Guest Peter James
francisgraham - 2011-10-17 10:24 AM
antony1969 - 2011-10-16 4:48 PMBang on a burka , claim to be gay and fake disability . Set up for life courtesy of our very generous welfare system . No need to worry no more .

Are you truly unable to work out what the above message says about you?

That anyone can think that being Muslim or gay would enable you to a greater claim for benefit shows an bigotry and ignorance that is simply breathtaking. As for faking disability, do you not read a newspaper or listen to the news? If you did you'd learn about the great  lengths that the authorities go to to weed out false claimants. And in the first place, when you start claiming you need very strong proof from a doctor that you are disabled and unable to work.

In the last week alone I've read about a man secretly filmed playing golf, a young man (in KOTR's neck of the woods) riding motocross races and, earlier this year, a couple also filmed running a stud farm! 

All of these people (and there are hundreds of similar cases) were claiming benefit and guess what? The three that I've mentioned and the vast majority of the others were white heterosexuals!

Before you now respond in your usual vein I'd be grateful if you'd prove me wrong and show me any evidence that wearing a burqa or being gay entitles you to any greater benefit privileges that anyone else.

The examples that I gave were all originally qualified to claim disability, because as I said earlier, you need strong proof. These cases are always about people whose health has improved but they deliberately chose not to inform the DHSS and continued to illegally claim benefit. 

The vast majority of disability benefit claims are made by the white indigenous population! 

Well said francisgraham.I can only add we sometimes see people walking about who are on disability benefit, and think they should get a job. But what if their disability is not bad enough to stop them DOING a job, but its bad enough to stop them GETTING a job when there are so many fully fit people applying for every real job.There are already millions unemployed, yet we are already seeing the Government taking away benefits in an effort to force people into non existent jobs.Last week I read the case of a young man (unemployed, not disabled) who was denied a crisis loan, went out to mug somebody in the park who fought back and was killed. How many more times does that happen,when the victim isn't killed, so it doesn't get into the papers?

Guest Peter James
antony1969 - 2011-10-17 7:11 PM

Francis , I haven't read your reply to my comment . You bore me , so I can only wonder at the delights you have wrote .

The truth is often boring antony.

So the gutter press has to make things up to sell their so called 'newspapers'

What if?..

Well,I'd probably pay a visit to the Jobcentre,to make myself known..and fill out any forms that were required(..or rather call the "free fone" number *-) ) and wait and see what happens...

...but having been made redundant on two occasions,in recent years,I must say that tales of the "benefit system" throwing money at you,like it's going out of fashion,are grossly exaggerated...

..and in both instances,by the time they'd fully processed everything,I'd already go myself sorted with work again anyway... :-S

(...and if you're self employed and in need of some assistance..well..you may as well be speaking to them in Klingon!.... :-S )

Straight to the Job Centre and claim Job Seeker's Allowance for up to 6 months, during which time you have to go in to see them once a fortnight and also possibly attend some seminars about how to go about getting another job. After 6 months, if you haven't got a job, you're out of luck and will have to use your savings to live on unless you haven't got any at all in which case you may be able to claim other benefits.

antony1969 - 2011-10-17 7:11 PMFrancis , I haven't read your reply to my comment . You bore me , so I can only wonder at the delights you have wrote .

I don't believe you, you've read every word and we all know it! But I'll sum it up for you in simple terms. You're a racist, homophobic bigot with the IQ of a goldfish. 

Frances , thanks for your comments . Thankfully in your school playground name calling session you didn't call me a liar and this I presume is because you know I tell the truth . Once again if it was not clear enough I haven't read your previous post .

It's easy to hide and be " brave " behind the internet and call names in the real world face to face I would imagine you are quite different .

antony1969 - 2011-10-18 7:08 AMFrances , thanks for your comments . Thankfully in your school playground name calling session you didn't call me a liar and this I presume is because you know I tell the truth . Once again if it was not clear enough I haven't read your previous post . It's easy to hide and be " brave " behind the internet and call names in the real world face to face I would imagine you are quite different .

OK, you're a lying racist, homophobic bigot. Is that more clear? It's very easy for people like you to, living in your paranoid, fascist, little world, to insult whole groups of people, I'm just insulting one and that's because he's posted racist, homophobic and bigoted lies.

Your reaction is typical. You can't offer one iota of proof for your wild and BNP-like allegations, so you bluster and lie again about how you haven't read my post! Yea, of course you haven't! ;-)

Ps I now realise that claiming you have the IQ of a goldfish is very insulting and I'd like to apologise.  

So, goldfishes, please accept my sincere apology, you are much cleverer than antony1969.

Wow! - True colours coming through here Francis.

Lovely example of ad hominem - "I label you something despicable so that I can dismiss what is said"

Yes very adult.

Meanwhile, tho' the article is in the "Mail" it is written by a Pakistani born Baroness and does highlight a problem that many have felt and realised is going on but the PC authorities sit on because it does not fit with their idealised version of reality.

The Baroness accuses these people of exactly the same tactics as you display.

Namely any sign of variation away from the party line and start shouting and calling the individual "Racist", "Homophobic", "bigot".

Which blow me down with a waft of left wing dogma!!!! – that is exactly what you do.

Personally I would have chucked in "Climate Change Denier" as well - you know - just to make Antony1969 look really despicable (lol) (lol) (lol)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2037172/Baroness-Shreela-Flather-Migrants-having-big-families-claim-benefits.html

Francis - you love labelling others so I am sure you will not mind my making an assumption about you, I see you as a small minded person, angry behind a keyboard with a "Wolfie Smith" mindset that is as funny now as it was decades ago.

And I think it nice that you talk to goldfish such that you can judge their intelligence. Not many people do that - for good reason of course. But I will let you find that out for yourself.

Shame we don't have a full time post labelled 'School playground' in parallel to 'Chatterbox' :-)

In reply to the OP (KOTR) perhaps I would now look round for a growth sector in the UK economy:-) And if made redundant set myself up as a re-employment agency, advice on how to claim benefits, downsizing and CV generation, I can see Dave and the Eaton boys providing lots more clients!

As for the Original Comment from Antony1969 couched in the usual 'Sun' phraseology', I do wonder why 'asylum seekers and part time Calais residents' travel 1000's of miles from home to live in a cold wet island where the chances of employment diminish with every bankers bonus paid. Rather than settle at the nearest Country to their own offering sanctuary.

CliveH - 2011-10-18 9:13 AMWow! - True colours coming through here Francis.Lovely example of ad hominem - "I label you something despicable so that I can dismiss what is said"Yes very adult.Meanwhile, tho' the article is in the "Mail" it is written by a Pakistani born Baroness and does highlight a problem that many have felt and realised is going on but the PC authorities sit on because it does not fit with their idealised version of reality.The Baroness accuses these people of exactly the same tactics as you display.Namely any sign of variation away from the party line and start shouting and calling the individual "Racist", "Homophobic", "bigot".Which blow me down with a waft of left wing dogma!!!! – that is exactly what you do.Personally I would have chucked in "Climate Change Denier" as well - you know - just to make Antony1969 look really despicable (lol) (lol) (lol) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2037172/Baroness-Shreela-Flather-Migrants-having-big-families-claim-benefits.htmlFrancis - you love labelling others so I am sure you will not mind my making an assumption about you, I see you as a small minded person, angry behind a keyboard with a "Wolfie Smith" mindset that is as funny now as it was decades ago.And I think it nice that you talk to goldfish such that you can judge their intelligence. Not many people do that - for good reason of course. But I will let you find that out for yourself.

Have you actually read this thread from the beginning? KOTR asked what we'd do if we were made redundant. Most people came up with a sensible answer. Antony1969 said that the best thing to do if you want to claim benefit is to say that you are a Muslim, or gay, or that if you claim to be disabled you will somehow be given immediate social security payments!

So here we have a man who thinks that being Muslim or gay is all that's needed to get extra benefits. And that the government will hand out money to people who simply say that they are disabled, when they're not.

So yes, you're right, I've showed my true colours. I detest racist, homophobic bigots who post out-and-out lies about groups of people that they don't like. 

And your example of the newspaper article is pointless and nothing to do with the subject. The subject, to refresh your memory was about what you would do if made redundant. Antony1969 claimed that certain groups of people would receive better treatment because they are gay, or wear a burqa or that claiming that they were disabled somehow automatically entitle them to immediate payouts!

His statement is a downright lie by a man who has previously proven himself to be a bigoted and ignorant idiot.

As for 'left-wing dogma' I consider myself right of centre. I support capital punishment for certain crimes, I'm a member of the Conservative party and am as opposed as much as most to more immigration. I am worried as much as most people about Islamist terrorism and I get as angry as anyone when I read of huge families, whatever their colour, claiming tens of thousands of pounds in benefits.

But none of this means that I will ever stop protesting about people such as antony1969, who can turn a simple thread about what we'd do if made redundant, into a racist and homophobic matter.

Let me ask you a question CliveH. Do you believe that putting on a burqa or being gay will automatically get you benefits to which you wouldn't otherwise be entitled?

Do you CliveH, believe that if you are made redundant that all you have to do is tell them that you're disabled and they'll immediately throw money at you?

His post was a vile slur on three different groups and I make no apology for once again showing up this man for what was a despicable post.

Guest pelmetman

This thread is showing all the signs of being a right old bun fight(lol)

But getting back to the OT, guess that I'm lucky8-) having never been out of work, not that the few hours a week that I do now in between holidays qualifies as a proper jobB-)

If I was out of work I'd take anything, as we have both done in the past.........I have even had 2 jobs at one time.......The work is there apparently or why would Polish be as common as English in Boston;-)
Or could it be that our benefit & health system is to generous to those who don't pay for it8-)   

Guest Peter James
Retread24800 - 2011-10-18 9:22 AM

I do wonder why 'asylum seekers and part time Calais residents' travel 1000's of miles from home to live in a cold wet island where the chances of employment diminish with every bankers bonus paid. Rather than settle at the nearest Country to their own offering sanctuary.

Because Britain has the least regulated employment market in Europe, making it the easiest country to disappear into the black economy.

For an example of how well the employment laws are enforced, take the legal minimum wage. We have had the legal minimum wage for ten years now. Do you know how many prosecutions there have been in that time. - Seven prosecutions - for the whole country, for the whole ten years.

Well we've just taken on 6 men and may be looking at a couple more in the near future, both for production and managerial posts, so maybe if any of you are unfortunate enough to be in a position where you need work, I may be able to help.

But then again, there are very few of you who have ever had a decent word to say to or about me so I wouldn't hold your breath, as they say, what goes around etc.etc. :D :D

For the record, I personally think Antony's comments were rather tongue in cheek, as opposed to being anything else, no doubt the majority of us have muttered comments along the same lines in the past without attaching any real malice to them.

One final thing though, will people please stop involving the BNP everytime the word 'muslim' 'burka' or 'immigrant' is mentioned, it really shows YOUR bigotry and ignorance, by tarring everyone with the same brush, as you have accused others of doing.

Peter James - 2011-10-18 10:15 AM

For an example of how well the employment laws are enforced, take the legal minimum wage. We have had the legal minimum wage for ten years now. Do you know how many prosecutions there have been in that time. - Seven prosecutions - for the whole country, for the whole ten years.

That is as maybe, however, there have been thousands of cases where penalties have been imposed by HMRC, and employers made to backpay the employees concerned, HMRC are a body and law unto themselves, they do not need the court system to impliment penalties and fines, thus the number of cases bought to court are extremely low and do not portray a true picture.

Criminal prosecutions therefore are only started as a last resort in the most serious of cases.

It IS a sad fact however, that a very large portion of the offences ARE committed by 'foreign' employers using illegal and/or underpaid workers, in extreme cases there may be a £10,000 fine for employing illegals, but if they have earned £50,000 before they are caught, the risk is often worth it to the employer.

It all depends on your circumstances of course, I was made redundant [or rather I put myself forward for redundancy ] 12 years ago after working for the company for 30 years, I received a lump sum which paid off my Mortgage and any other small bills I had and I have not worked since except for a bit of fruit picking for a season in Suffolk, I started to receive my Company pension on Redundancy {reduced of course] I have never claimed any money from the State and now I receive my full State pension as well as my private pensions and am in fact better off now than when I was working, I have a bus pass which is a great thing to have and use buses as and when I want, I will say that I know for a fact that if ever I wanted to earn a few bob there was always little jobs about and there still are not huge paying jobs but money earners none the less, I know of a local man to me who started to cut a neighbours lawn for a few bob once a week after being made redundant and now he has so much gardening work, etc that he has to turn work away, so don't get despondent, one door closes and another opens and often for the better.

Frances , With a name like you have I suppose its always been difficult to be a man but here's your opportunity , instead of hiding behind your screen and boring everyone on here with your childish , gutless name calling PM me and we can meet to discuss your obvious strong views on me as I am sure a man of your integrity and high moral standing would much prefer .

Archived