Fitting a towbar

mrs w curry

Fitting a towbar  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If its an Alko chassis and it comes to the back then fitting a towbar is not such a big engineering job. Unlike cars, towbars fitted to motorhomes do NOT have to be type approved. But you still need a fitting that is properaly engineered.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-04-29 9:05 AM I think that last line should read "legend in his own mind". (lol)[/QUOTE] However, Dave, he's not claiming he shares your own exceptional powers - leaping tall buildings at a single bound, repairing trailer towbars with just your teeth and a screwdriver (as seen at Peteborough!), etc., etc. Let hime dream on . . .

No Mel I only do hero stuff at weekends, the rest of the time I'm just an all round good guy and legend in my own lunchtime. To get back to towbars though, If you have an Al Ko chassis which extends to the back of the 'van then Al Ko do their own towbar to suit. Otherwise it will have to be a purpose made unit and unless you are an experienced towbar designer and fabricator you won't be doing it yourself. There are several companies dotted around the country who will make you a towbar to suit. Towtal for one. D.

• 2 months later...
Hi John, I believe that current legislation forces thoses with motor cars to fit a tow hitch manufactured by an aproved manufacturere and tested to a laid down standard. Each towbar design is tested and becomes "type aproved" for that particular application. Joe blogs is not any more permitted to manufacture his own 1 off towbar. However with motorhomes Joe blogs IS allowed to make his own one off for himself or anyone else. But should it all go pear shaped and an accident occour then you could be prosecuted under the Construction and Use regulations. In summary make sure you use someone who is competant and able to make your towbar for you. The one on my Scout I designed and was made by Newark vehicle Bodies. Its very very simple, I had the vehicle chassis extended through the rear GRP moulding to support and tough reinforced rear bumper to which the tow ball is fitted. I hasten to add that the chassis work was done before the body was fitted by Autotrail. Good luck C.

Guest peter
When a new car is launched the manufacturers have to have the towbar type approved as well as the car. If the manufacturer does not submit the towbar for approval one cannot subsequently be fitted. As there will be no train weight shown on the V.I.N plate. Some cars cannot be fitted with a bar because the makers did not think that anyone would tow with it.

• 2 weeks later...
John, I had a bar fitted to our Autocruise Valentine, which has a rear door and electric step, by Towtal at Fenton, Stoke on Trent, 2 weeks ago. I arrived at The works at 09.00, stayed with the vehicle and was on the road at 14.30. The bar was made to suit the vehicle, fully painted and wired. It is very neat, does not create any problem for the entry door, and the electic step is still in place. The rear steadies were removed, and brackets incorporated into the bar frame to refit the steadies. A very good job, and I would highly recommend their work. Ken

I have just had one made by Denvic engineering Kidderminster it cost far less than other manufacturers and fitted one saturday morning took them 3 hours. I have a rear storage compartment and they made it to suit. I can recommend there workmanship. Pete

Archived