Bathroom Washbasin

Hilux

Can anyone help in proviidng some info on where I might get a washbasin top.

We have a 2003 Pilote Galaxy and the sink has split around the plug hole. It happened recently in Italy, so with some Araldite and Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (Yes, that is what the product is called) all was fixed. However, a new sink is needed as the repair will not last forever.

My first call was to Pilote and, hold on to your hats, it would be £392. That is for a sink top alone which is a corner fitting measureing 380mm along both staright sides along the wall with a 1/4 circle front edge.

My next call was to Cak Tanks. They have one which might fit which measures 390mm along the walls at about £38. A much more reasonable price, but still not quite right.

I have considerd having a sink made or fitting a slightly smaller one from Grasshopper Leisure. This sink is just 360mm along the wall edges, so would require building out slighly with a spacer.

I have also tried the Caravan Panel Shop who also do the 360mm version.

Any other sugegstions out there would be gratefully received.

H

A picture would help, if you can post one.

In the meantime, as it is a corner basin, why does it matter if the replacement is a little smaller, or larger? I assume it may butt onto something else, but as you describe it as a quadrant at the front, it is difficult to visualise how that might work.

Otherwise, the larger one seems preferable as it would cover any marks/fade where the original had been.

Final thought, if it has cracked around the waste outlet, could you cut it on the crack line a hole saw, and then insert a larger waste outlet (possibly a normal domestic one with a proper trap), with an adaptor to fit the original waste pipe?

Thank you Brian.

As for "quadrant" I meant sector, with the angle between the radii being 90 degrees. (one quarter of a circle)

A larger waste hole is one of the options I have been considering. However, this would leave a ridge around the waste socket. Not an ideal solution, but probably tolerable.

A slightly smaller basin would be OK, but as you say I would have to stand it off the walls by about 20mm otherwise it would not cover the semi circular front of the corner cabinet below the basin.

Regards

H

Then, all other things being equal, I would think the slightly oversized basin would offer the better solution. Assuming it has the required downturn at the front, it would surely be neater, easier, and more effective, to pack between the rear of the downturn and the top (presumed) frame of the cupboard below, where it would be out of sight, in preference to trying to achieve a neat, waterproof, highly visible, 10mm wide, seal between the rear of the basin and the wall. Hope this helps.

Thank you for sending details.

B1 and B2 I have seen and they are similar to others at about 355 to 360mm along the straight edge.

B3 is also interesting, but at 430mm is quite a bit too big.

I am now waiting for CAK to get back to me as they have one at 390mm, which is not in stock. Hopefully it will be OK.

Regards

H

I had that problem in our rapido. So I took it out and put a couple of layers of glass fibre and re-fitted the plug fittting and it was as new again.

Archived