For Daniel the Editor

johnnerontheroad

Thanks,

And yes it is a shame when someone posts something on a forum without checking the facts.

Just so you all know what's really happening with the Mobility supplement:

We haven't cut Mobility and don't intend to stop publishing it.

It's a great supplement and full credit goes to Jonathan Lloyd for producing the content for Warners for so many years.

We have however changed the way we deliver it - there is a reduced pagination printed version, which has been posted to all subscribers - for free

The extended version can be read following the link below - again for free,

You can also download it for future reference if you like - again for free.

http://www.browse-and-read.co.uk/mmm-mobility-2012/mmm-mobility-2012.swf

Thanks

Daniel

Guest Tracker

I note that the originator of the grumble drives a 24 ft Winnebago plus trailer and whilst I don't draw any conclusions from that statement I wouldn't worry too much about one disgruntled writer bitching about how hard done by he is, nor all the other band wagon on jumpers?

At the risk of being awfully non PC it seems to me that the disabled in this country get a pretty good deal all round and I wonder what gives them the right to expect preferential treatment all the time at the expense of the rest of us?

That is not to say that I resent subsidising the various disabled benefits because I dont, and indeed I am truly thankful that I don't need any financial help to enjoy my chosen holiday mode, but it strikes me that a little more gratitude for what is available that has to be paid for by others would not go amiss?

Perhaps I ought to go out and buy a flak jacket now, but meanwhile I will await the incoming fire!

Tracker - 2011-10-19 4:33 PM

I note that the originator of the grumble drives a 24 ft Winnebago plus trailer and whilst I don't draw any conclusions from that statement I wouldn't worry too much about one disgruntled writer bitching about how hard done by he is, nor all the other band wagon on jumpers?

At the risk of being awfully non PC it seems to me that the disabled in this country get a pretty good deal all round and I wonder what gives them the right to expect preferential treatment all the time at the expense of the rest of us?

That is not to say that I resent subsidising the various disabled benefits because I dont, and indeed I am truly thankful that I don't need any financial help to enjoy my chosen holiday mode, but it strikes me that a little more gratitude for what is available that has to be paid for by others would not go amiss?

Perhaps I ought to go out and buy a flak jacket now, but meanwhile I will await the incoming fire!

No flack from me Rich, in fact totally agree. I have no problem with people who do not much like MMM, I do not but my wife does so we suscribe. All this stuff about objecting to describing people in a certain ways sometimes goes a touch over the top. If someone is unfortunate to say loose a leg they are handicapped or disabled. I am now an old git so compared to a fit young git am handicapped, I have no problem with that just the way it is. Why do we need to 'tip toe' around this stuff the terms are not insulting or racist, look the meanings up in a dictionary. If anyone has a disability then it is unfortunate and giving them some help is fine by me but for goodness sake why do people find the term somehow insulting?

Tracker - 2011-10-19 4:33 PM

INCOMING!

In the current financial climate it is the less well off in our community that suffer when there are cuts to be made. I think not being able to walk or see is a high price to pay for so called benefits. Comments such as those quoted is the same as parking on a designated disabled bay-which I hope people on this forum do not indulge

It seems to me that many of those who are disabled in this country get a very generous deal indeed, but some are never satisfied and expect more and more concessions.

I have a relative who is registered disabled due to 'mobility problems'. They get a new car every three years, including maintenance, tyres, tax disc etc - and it costs them nothing. They also have a blue badge with which they can park just about anywhere for no cost. Ordinarily, I would have no issue with this. In this case though, one of my relative's interests is hill walking - but only up to a mximum of about 12 miles or so! This amounts to benefit fraud.

Sadly, the benefits system is so generous and so badly managed that it will always be open to abuse by the selfish minority.

Guest Tracker
yeti - 2011-10-19 6:48 PM

In the current financial climate it is the less well off in our community that suffer when there are cuts to be made.

Absolutely right. It is always the less well off that pay the highest proportion of their income in taxation of all forms and it is these same people who are penalised in having to pay more for electricity, gas, oil, phone, insurance and many other services simply because they do not have a bank account or access to a computer.

A 10% rise in energy bills when you only have under £100 a week is catastrophic whereas when you have £400 a week income the same 10% rise in energy costs is nothing more than an irritation.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of the people running the utilities to provide their services to the less well off at the same rates that those with an education, a bank account and a computer pay?

And if it is beyond their ability or will then maybe it is time that the politicians legislated for some social justice because, as we all know, self regulation and weak or toothless regulation does not work.

So if it costs a bit more to provide these services by less 'efficient' means than direct debit the rest of us will just have to subsidise it but I don't think that is so bad because according to how the dice are tossed and the cards cut any of us could just as easily have ended up struggling to survive.

kedavi - 2011-10-19 7:32 PM

It seems to me that many of those who are disabled in this country get a very generous deal indeed, but some are never satisfied and expect more and more concessions.

I have a relative who is registered disabled due to 'mobility problems'. They get a new car every three years, including maintenance, tyres, tax disc etc - and it costs them nothing. They also have a blue badge with which they can park just about anywhere for no cost. .

Sorry kedavi

But please check your facts before posting - they DO NOT get a new car - FOR NOTHING.

Using the Motobility scheme, as a minimum a Car is paid for by the users Mobility Allowance, but more often than not the User will have to pay an additional "Advance Payment" & an additional Monthly supplement. The Advance Payment" is not refundable at the end of the lease period. So then another "Advance payment" & monthly supplement apply.

Very few cars without the "Advance Payment" element can accomodate a occupied wheelchair or unoccupied Power Wheelchair, so many physically Disability users will require a much larger vehicle than a physically able user.

Although we opt not to use the Motobility scheme, adaptations to our Motorhome, necessary for my wife's disability needs (not to meet VAT Zero rating requirements), costs were more than twice the VAT Zero rating saving on the Motorhome when new. & it does not stop there as many physically disabled conditions continue to deteriorate necessitating further changes / modifications in the future.

Before this thread deteriorates, can I suggest that those with strong comments about 'how good' disabled people have it, think about this one question:

Would you prefer to be disabled and NEED help to do things but get lots of 'benefit payments' to be able to pay for the help/facilities/vehicle etc you need, or would you prefer to be able bodied enough to do what you want WITHOUT NEEDING help and not get the 'benefits' ... I certainly know which I would prefer.

Remember, people don't CHOOSE to actually have a disability ....

:-|

Well said Mel. My god there are some biggoted and insensitive so and so's on this forum. Do they think that everybody on here is fully able bodied? Perhaps a little forethought wouln't go amiss before pressing the submit button after typing such unenlightened views based on prejudice and jealousy with no factual merit whatever.

Well, I've just been on the MHFun website and found that Jim has 'closed the thread'. I assume he isn't happy with some of my 'true' comments and suggestion that members who have been making untrue statements about the supplement etc should apologise for their inaccurate postings. Regardless of whether it is a magazine, or a person, some of the things said were very unfortunate.

I find the 'closing' of the thread very disappointing especially since, when Jim was having a hard time when the membership fees were brought in, I actually took the time to support Jim's decision ... it appears that I can't do the same in this case ...

:-(

Archived