Kindle ???????

hymer1942

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, we';ve just bought one -on the recommendation of some fellow motorhomers we met whilst in France a few weeks ago......

Quite impressed,and we bought the 'upmarket' version, which included the wifi/3G connection. Whilst this added somewhat to the cost (about £50 in effect) it gives total flexibility of use, and no further costs for internet to download direct to teh Kindle, or to use the various websites which can come up particularly in Reference/guide books.

We also - again having seen theirs - bought the more expensive cover, which included a light which pops away into the front cover...this is very good, although the screen (B&W only) is clear, but when in less good light or if one of you wants to read in bed, it helps a lot.

we have found for purchasing books, it's useful to use the main computer simply to see whats available (there seems to be almost literally 1000'sof books for free or ridiculously cheap) and then buy them from that, and they download to the kindle within a minute or so. Some, i think, you can also get 'free samples' to see if you want to buy!

My wife who is - and will be - the main user is very impressed. Most of teh 'Lonely Planet' guied are available, and I'm hoping that in timne the Michelin Guide Verts for France etc will become available, plus other travel guides.

Go for it!!!

Barrie - We have the Kindle with the keyboard +wi-fi, but now looks like they only have that one with 3G. Not sure that you need 3G for all that extra price, as you just download via wi-fi before you go on holiday etc.

But they are great and do read better than books, and a lot easier and lighter, the new ones do not have the keyboard so think that is why they are smaller. So the answer for me is go for the new lighter one with built in wi-fi.

BUT the main reason for replying is, take out the insurance which covers accidental damage, as when we were on holiday, I fell off my bike which had the Kindle in the panier, and yes it broke. When we got back home we took it to the retail shop where we bought it from and they replaced it straight away, no hassle.

What was also brilliant was when I logged back into the Kindle account ,it re-downloaded all the books back onto the New Kindle.......

Guest JudgeMental

There are 2 new versions out, a top of the range colour one, the kindle fire, (only available in USA at moment)

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2

and a new smaller, lighter, faster version @ £89 ( 6 inch screen)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0051QVF7A/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=14098327796&ref=pd_sl_6mxs193w5_b

add these to the 2 existing models and it is getting more confusing not less!

I like the new cheap one, as easier to carry in the pocket on a train etc...

Hi and thanks to all for replies, for some reason I thought there were lots of different makes. Eddie I am going to the States in about 5 weeks, if I buy the colour one there will it work excactly the same as one bought here, because that would seem the way to go. Barrie

hymer1942 - 2011-10-18 7:35 PM

Hi and thanks to all for replies, for some reason I thought there were lots of different makes. Eddie I am going to the States in about 5 weeks, if I buy the colour one there will it work excactly the same as one bought here, because that would seem the way to go. Barrie

We've got the original 3G / Wi-Fi version (ie the more expensive one). We've found it a real advantage abroad when no wi-fi available for our laptop (international data roaming costs are exorbitant), but the 3G Kindle provides an alternative way to get on the net, check and send emails for free anywhere there is a mobile phone signal. Even used it to surf and check mail in the Caribbean earlier in the year. Yes it's very slow and clunky for using on the net, but extremely handy nonetheless.

Regards the new colour model, currently only available in the States - I'm sure it will probably come to the UK at some point, but in the meantime what about any warranty issues? Also, got to be able to sort out a conversion adapter for charging - and the colour one needs much more charging (the existing 3G model can last up to a month). Still might be worth considering, but think I'll hang on till it's available from Amazon UK.

hymer1942 - 2011-10-18 7:35 PM

I think the 'Kindle' is merely the trade name applied by the Amazon product, and there are 'e-book' readers from other manufacturers, including i believe SONY.

Looking at the Amazon website, it seems the new (cheaper) version does not have a keyboard, which I think (having asked my wife's advice!) may restrict the ability to search for items easily ( I dont know if there is a touch screeen, but it doesnt say anything about it on the site). I see it is also available with Wifi/3G at extra costs, which make it add up to much the same price as the original Kindle.

The usefulness of wiFI/3G is quite important if you want to be able to download books or updates, or use the limited internet facilities when abroad, and I felt the extra cost at the outset well worth this..

I too have taken the additional warranty/insce, which is something i would not normally consider. I do think that for some £30 or so, on this occasion wellworth it, as it is an item which could well suffer a mishap, and this seems to be borne out by earlier comments, and also those on the website.

I am sure there will be further developments, and surely an obvious one would be to include full web access plus e-mailing!

As to the use of the US colour version in the UK, I would assume since it is effectively powered by re-chargable battery the only thing whihc would change would be the mains lead - though one assuem that with a colour screen it would use more battery power. I am advised by my wife that she is very content with the black and white screen, whihc after all is what most printed books are!

Just a reminder for those who are interested in getting the Kindle due to its internet capability when abroad, it is NOT guaranteed to continue to be FREE. I would therefore you only get one of the wifi/3g versions if you want it for downloading books etc as I wouldn't put it past the Kindle people to find a way to restrict it to this sort of use only, here or abroad, at some point, as it must be costing them to have a 'free' web browsing facility available to owners.

It would also be useful if someone with a wifi/3g version could take some photos of their Kindle when they use it for web browsing so that those considering it can actually see what it is like 'in action'. I've seen the Kindle in the flesh and as a demo, but NEVER yet seen the wifi/3g version to play with.

Mel B - 2011-10-18 8:51 PM

Just a reminder for those who are interested in getting the Kindle due to its internet capability when abroad, it is NOT guaranteed to continue to be FREE. I would therefore you only get one of the wifi/3g versions if you want it for downloading books etc as I wouldn't put it past the Kindle people to find a way to restrict it to this sort of use only, here or abroad, at some point, as it must be costing them to have a 'free' web browsing facility available to owners.

It would also be useful if someone with a wifi/3g version could take some photos of their Kindle when they use it for web browsing so that those considering it can actually see what it is like 'in action'. I've seen the Kindle in the flesh and as a demo, but NEVER yet seen the wifi/3g version to play with.

I'm not sure how a photo would help!

What I can tell you is web browsing with a kindle should be a last resort as was to me couple of days ago when my pute wouldn't connect, unless you have masochistic tendancies.

In my opinion there is no reason to think that Amazon might drop the ‘free’ 3G facility, after all you pay a £50 premium for the privilege, also it enables customers to continue to download content in the absence of WiFi coverage, quite lucrative I imagine.

The browser is a little ponderous but is fine for emails and things like weather forecasts etc when abroad when it costs an arm and a leg to use the mobile.

As a book reader it is brilliant, and if you travel abroad I would recommend the 3G version, plus you get the use of an extra cupboard when you leave your book collection at home, I have the i-campingcar Juin2011 PDF aire file loaded on mine so have the details of the French aires with black and white photos, how cool is that?

pkc - 2011-10-18 9:59 PM

plus you get the use of an extra cupboard when you leave your book collection at home, I have the i-campingcar Juin2011 PDF aire file loaded on mine so have the details of the French aires with black and white photos, how cool is that?

and also it weighs a lot less than a pile of books.....

Do you have a website link for the PDF file you quote?

colin - 2011-10-18 9:30 PM

I'm not sure how a photo would help!

What I can tell you is web browsing with a kindle should be a last resort as was to me couple of days ago when my pute wouldn't connect, unless you have masochistic tendancies.

For the very reason I've stated, it would be good to see what it is like. *-) You've described what it appears to be like, but you can't beat seeing it for yourself and, as I've explained not being able to see one 'in action' in the flesh, being able to see a photo of the web browsing etc facility in a photo is the next best thing. Simples! :-D

Mel B - 2011-10-18 10:41 PM

For the very reason I've stated, it would be good to see what it is like. *-) You've described what it appears to be like, but you can't beat seeing it for yourself and, as I've explained not being able to see one 'in action' in the flesh, being able to see a photo of the web browsing etc facility in a photo is the next best thing. Simples! :-D

I think you've completely missed the point, a photo would look little different than one of my desktop screen apart from being bw, a video might convey some of the awkwardness.

colin - 2011-10-18 10:47 PM

Mel B - 2011-10-18 10:41 PM

I think you've completely missed the point, a photo would look little different than one of my desktop screen apart from being bw, a video might convey some of the awkwardness.

Colin is spot on concerning the value or otherwise of a photograph of the Kindle 3G surfing online. Without doubt it is a bit fiddly to use, but hey it does provide useful access to email etc without any data charges (at the moment). I do take Mel's point that unlimited free world-wide data roaming is not guaranteed to last for ever. But I suspect Amazon are working on the basis of assuming most folk won't bother with the hassle, slow speed and general clunkyness to do much surfing. Nonetheless, it is handy for checking the weather forecast when abroad. B-)

Bought the 3 g version a couple of weeks ago for husband. He loves it. Got ours from Tesco, got double club card points, so a little discount?? I think it is worth the extra £50. for the 3 g version, if you travel abroad a lot. You can also get daily papers on it, which works out cheaper than buying at 2+ euros a day, and a lot more if travelllng farther a field

PJay

The Kindle is brilliant although I don't necessarily agree that the wi fi version is worth it. I bought one and have hardly used the wi fi bit because you can load enough reading material on to it to last a year (even if you read 4 books a week!). If you're keen to read the papers every day then that's a differnt matter.

Apparently it is possible to hack into the operating system and use them as a dongle connected to your laptop, if too many people do this the free 3G could easily get restricted. I was tempted to buy one for this reason alone although I'm not impressed with the tacky construction compared to our Sony ereader in it's strong aluminium case. Haven't looked at the new smaller ones yet, from photo's they do look a lot better and the price very good.

Hi Keith,

Go to http://www.icampingcar.fr/ then click on the box that says "cliquez ici pour visiter le site" then click on ' Téléchargez gratuitement les aires de services évaluées par i-Camping Car ' in the PDF box, a new page will download where you have to enter your surname ‘nom’, and first name ‘prenom’ plus your email address then click send, ‘envoyer’.

Go to your inbox and click on ‘Telechargement gratuitement to download the zip file.

Just for Mel B, I wouldn't go to this trouble for just anybody :-S

A couple of photos of the I-campingcar PDF, (two birds with one stone Keith).

the photo does not do the screen justice, sorry about the glare from the flash in the centre of the screen.

I had to reduce the size and quality to download to this site, but it give some idea of the resolution available.

Undeniably clunky, and not really meant for serious browsing, but it suits my simple tastes, with this and my Ipod touch + hotspots no need to spend a fortune on keeping in touch with the Grandchildren and the rest of the world.

Recommended.

1814618559_P1000943(600x400).jpg.746756f9c2f539d7b28bef224d6336ca.jpg

160951269_P1000944(600x400).jpg.87f0f18fa5f62c2bb5e5a63db1e0847f.jpg

Looking at the link to amazon.com it seems the new kindle fire will be launched as wifi only, hopefully a 3g version will be added later. We have the standard 3g kindle and have recently come back from a tour of scandinavia and we found that access to some websites like bbc news were unavailable or pared down to a basic rss feeds especially in norway. But it kept us in touch with what was happening at home cause most sites were charging for wifi. Success with gmail was sporadic and we gave up in the end and reverted to sms.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2011-10-18 9:24 PM

colin - 2011-10-18 8:42 PM

The kindle fire is in reality a notebook with limited functions, you can get colour on it, but at expence of battery life and it may not be as kind to the eye.

That should be tablet not notebook :$

The reviews of the "fire" have said the same. Also it is not a true book reader as screen reflective so no where as good a reading tool in sunlight etc...

Archived