Kindle ???????

hymer1942

I found mine extremely useful in France this spring; I have 'bookmarked' the french weather forecasting site so that we can easily and cheaply get a 5 day forecast for the area we are in/are going to.  I used it to email home instead of phoning (which was brilliant because 1/2 the time I had 'no service' on my moby!)  I copied our documents onto it instead of hard copies.

The only hiccough was when I 'crashed' it by being too impatient and not waiting for one command to action before inputting the next (think dial-up but about 10 times slower).  I was left with just the login/password screen but it couldn't actually log me in!  However, because it crashed whilst in 3G mode it flattened the battery very quickly, I left it to totally run out of juice and then recharged it.  It was then back to normal (I had thought I might have to contact Amazon to re-boot) and all my books/documents, etc were intact.

The simple lesson for me was not to expect it to perform with any speed at all whilst in 3G mode!

BTW, I bought a simple 12volt charger from amazon which works perfectly I think it was about £3.  It is advertised as a mobile phone adapter and there are plenty to choose from on line.

The charger/adapter that I bought is LUPO Micro Auto USB in-car charger for Iphone, ipad, iphone 3.gs  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really like the kindle and read a lot. My wife bought me the 3G version as a present as we like to go to some remote places and we're planning on travelling a lot more. While on holiday this year we had a bit of a shock with our bank balance (my fault, forgetting to do some transfers ) but i could access our bank internet account and check on a few things and sort out some stuff, so it proved useful.

Hopesy - 2011-10-19 4:09 PMI really like the kindle and read a lot. My wife bought me the 3G version as a present as we like to go to some remote places and we're planning on travelling a lot more. While on holiday this year we had a bit of a shock with our bank balance (my fault, forgetting to do some transfers ) but i could access our bank internet account and check on a few things and sort out some stuff, so it proved useful.

You're braver than me then; I've never accessed my bank using the Kindle as I'm unsure of how secure it is.  Do you have any details of what, if any, security is on it?

pkc - 2011-10-19 12:19 PM

Just for Mel B, I wouldn't go to this trouble for just anybody :-S

A couple of photos of the I-campingcar PDF, (two birds with one stone Keith).

the photo does not do the screen justice, sorry about the glare from the flash in the centre of the screen.

I had to reduce the size and quality to download to this site, but it give some idea of the resolution available.

Undeniably clunky, and not really meant for serious browsing, but it suits my simple tastes, with this and my Ipod touch + hotspots no need to spend a fortune on keeping in touch with the Grandchildren and the rest of the world.

Recommended.

Hi there, I would feel confident about poading the PDF to my laptop and this would serve as 'drill down' data to support the locations/names which I have on my Tomtom.

However, I have not yet connected SWMBO's Kindle to the PC to browse the file structure (MTMLW, more than my life's worth!!!).

Any clues as to which folder a new PDF would need to be loaded? Are books just PDF files?

Many thanks.

Hi,

No books are not PDF files, they are in the native Kindle format.

When you connect your Kindle to the PC via the USB port you will see 3 directories,

Audible for Audio books .

Music. for MP3 files.

Documents , for books, PDF files, Newspapers, etc..

Just drag he PDF files across from the PC to the document directory, they will show up on the home screen with a pdf prefix.

Guest pelmetman
The 3g kindle is on my Christmas list purely for the free email facility:D...........the fact that you can read books on it is just a useful add on:D.......As wifi abroad can avarage 5 euro a day and I need to check them daily, so it soon mounts up.......As Mel say's it not guaranteed to continue, but on balance I expect to get my moneys worth:D

Guest 1footinthegrave

To make a comparison of this to a "tablet" or "netbook" is way off the mark if for no other reason that you will not find such a device that gives you weeks on end of battery life, also the e-ink technology really is like the printed word with no backlight in the device, if you want to have just about the best replacement for a traditional book,BUY IT. My Wife said before I bought her one she would never be able to give up regular paper books, she has had hers about six months now, she thinks it's fantastic, so much so she barely looks up to pass the time of day with me. BUT, browsing the internet is a woeful experience, and I don't think they did them selves any favours including this functionality,except for you to buy books on the move,and as for a colour version, what for ? I thought the printed word was on plain white paper. Buy it as an electronic book, and you will be blown away with it, my view forget the Internet capability, it is as someone else said a clunky experience,and a bit fiddly and lack lustre to say the least. The latest one £89 is a steal, oh and it's nearly Christmas,what other excuse do you need ;-)

Oh and to Pelmetman, you should get a "3" network phone, checking my gmail in France ( only when I have too though ) costs very little. And trust me, text input on the kindle is not something that comes easily.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-10-19 7:07 PM  Oh and to Pelmetman, you should get a "3" network phone, checking my gmail in France ( only when I have too though ) costs very little. And trust me, text input on the kindle is not something that comes easily.
Thanks 1 foot, I have a 3 phone as well and got my knickers in a right twist trying to download email*-)...........I was kinda hoping it might be simpler with a kindle:-( 

Hi All

I wish I had read this thread last week as I have just bought a normal Kindle from Amazon for my beloved's birthday on the 8th November, I have not seen it yet as I had it delivered to my Daughters office.

I have sourced seven of her favourite authors books from Amazon for £1.99 each, and my Daughter is downloading them for me/her.

I decided on the ordinary kindle as I like a lot of members did not think the extra cost of the 3g was worth the spending, from my wife's point of view as she is only interested in reading, but from my point of view would be handy whilst away on holiday to read my emails instead of coming home to 5000000 junk mails.

I also looked at some of the extras to buy for the kindle,cover, light and charger but I hope that the charger plug that connects to my Ipod usb lead will also do for the kindle.

Still if it's any good I can always hint for Santa to bring me a 3G for Christmas.

Terry

Guest 1footinthegrave
Junk mail used to be a real pain when I used Hotmail, I now use Gmail and have done for six months, result, hardly ever any junk mail, I digress, There are numerous car charger USB adapters that will do the job if your likely to run out of charge whilst away, mind you my Wife used hers constantly on our last 5 week tour of France with no need to re-charge, that will be different with wireless enabled though if left on all the time by mistake.

Guest JudgeMental

IMO the kindle is for reading books......

if you use your 3G mobile phone abroad you canteather it to your laptop and surf the inter web that way. just make sure you have payed the £15 monthly charge (T mobile) and have unlimited internet :-S

we struggled for a couple of weeks this summer with frustratingly bad wi fi connections on sites, until ! discovered that this works perfectly well with decent download times..If you dont have a 3G phone it is very slow....

Guest 1footinthegrave
I agree with Judgemental, but this tethering malarky is a minefield depending on the network you are with. I use 3 and you can only do this on a specific monthly price plan, ( not sure about Europe though) but definitely not on PAYG, boo hoo..............

Guest pelmetman
Right todays dumb question?.....3G.....I have a 3 phone does that mean I have 3G?......or do other people ie Vodaphone have 3G as well?:-S

pelmetman - 2011-10-19 8:07 PM

Right todays dumb question?.....3G.....I have a 3 phone does that mean I have 3G?......or do other people ie Vodaphone have 3G as well?:-S

AFAIK all networks have 3G caperbility, mind you half the time you can't get it.

p.s. 3 have biggest 3G network but when (as is often) you can't connect at 3G it uses Orange network

Guest 1footinthegrave

Your phone may or may not have 3g capabilty that is down to the specific phone model you have, not the network, they all have 3g,but you would see this on your signal strength meter on most if not all phones.I have a nokia N73 which is excellent, combined with the three network which astonishes with it's amazing 3g coverage, far better then the other networks I have found.

Mind you I do wonder if we are all slowly getting our brains slowly cooked with all this wi-fi stuff !

pkc - 2011-10-19 6:18 PM

Hi,

No books are not PDF files, they are in the native Kindle format.

When you connect your Kindle to the PC via the USB port you will see 3 directories,

Audible for Audio books .

Music. for MP3 files.

Documents , for books, PDF files, Newspapers, etc..

Just drag he PDF files across from the PC to the document directory, they will show up on the home screen with a pdf prefix.

Many thanks.

Thank you 1footinthegrave, that link about the kindle was very helpful. I have just decided that I will buy myself one. I think they look very cool for an ereader, especially scanning in your instruction manuals for your camera's etc. Not sure about scanning the passports though!

pelmetman - 2011-10-19 8:07 PM

If you have a 3 Mobile network phone, then it is 3G as 3 is a 3G network so only allow 3G phones to use their sims, try putting a 3 Mobile sim in a2G phone and see the result, alternatively try putting a 2G sim in a 3Mobile phone and see the result.

Bas

Morning all, got the kindle last night and all is well except for some reason will not accept debit card, keeps coming up with no account, and however many times I input the info it just says the same thing.

At the on it says CREDIT card but surely that is Debit as well. Help please. Barrie

Hello again, all sorted, asked for a call back on customer help, got one in under 2 mins, how about that for service. It was my fault I had not waited long enough last night with the result I had tried to set up 2 accounts. Thanks again for all your input, my other half seems well pleased with the Kindle. Barrie

Archived