Jump to content

What's lurking under your Status 315?


Tony Norton

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

You motorhomers with an engineering background who are into a bit of DIY probably won't run into anything like this, but those who rely on so called "professionals" will, and probably have, although they are unlikely to realise it.

 

We recently purchased an 11 year old motorhome which was fitted with a Status 315 aerial. Having had good results from a directional aerial I decide to fit a Status 540. That went well and, by the by, we are pleased with results. Step 2 was to remove the 315 and fit a blanking plate. Not a difficult job, worst part being the removal of the "I don't want anyone to see the crap job underneath" adhesive. When all said adhesive and the 315 were removed the damage done to the roof by the original fitter can be seen in the attached picture.

 

I'm not pointing the finger at the motorhome manufacturer, or any supplier in particular, because I've no way of knowing who fitted it, but it's odds on it was one those so called "professionals".

 

The purpose of this missive is to warn those who don't do their own jobs, don't necessarily expect that your chosen fitter will do a 'proper' job.

 

The damage shown in the picture is a result of: -

 

(a) trying to drill a much larger hole than was necessary using, I guess, a 19mm drill or thereabouts, instead of a hole saw, which snatched in the hole. Hence the odd shape, the Vesuvius like lift of the panel and the cracking of the fibreglass and: -

 

(b) drilling pilot holes for the fixing screws and banging in the self-tappers without first relieving these holes, using a 90 deg rose bit, with the resultant cracking of the gelcoat.

 

I would hardly ever trust anyone else to fit such items to my van, particularly if its being done at a show where the supplier has limited facilities available. Solar panel are a case in point. When I fitted mine, to a previous van, I used deck glands where the cables went through the roof. Your average solar panel fitter probably doesn't even know what a deck gland is, so he drills a couple of holes through the roof, shoves the cables through and filles up the holes with mastic/silicone sealant.

 

Sorry to go on, but I get really p****d off with £x for the bit of kit plus £y for fitting attitude.

 

Just a word to the wise.

 

Cheers

 

Tony Norton

 

 

658854929_Roofdamage2.thumb.jpg.d4cc6bb6df6496c334183d2ac7bcd387.jpg

47675447_Roofdamage.thumb.jpg.634388df42d4f8ece4148d3c3cb4bb8c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I share your sentiments Tony...

..having seen how poorly routed(..drum tight and chaffing!)the cables to our alarm and reversing sensors were,it makes me wonder as to just what's going through these "professionals" minds...?!?

 

....it MUST be just down to lack of expertise/know-how...because in a good many cases,it doesn't take any longer to do a job right,than it does to bodge it!.. *-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Peter James

I bought my new van from a main dealer. It was already ply lined as it was a cancelled order for which I got a discount. I found the ply lining was held by self tapping screws, which of course cut through the rust proofing and leave metal fragments inside the box sections, one screw had gone straight through the floor and into the spare tyre.

Its a far cry from the self builders who carefully stick the panels on with sickaflex to avoid any rust traps..But I have since seen adverts from firms who ply line a large van in 20 - 30 minutes so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...