medication for extended stay in Europe

jackie owen

Our GP will only issue 1 month's supply of medication for us, so going away for many weeks as we do is a problem. This summer, to renew my prescription, I went to a doctor, at a cost of 23 euros. When I went to the pharmacy, I showed them my "repeat prescription" and they confirmed that I could purchase the medication without going to a doctor. So, when my husband needed some more medication, I bought them from the pharmacy. On our return I applied for a refund only to be told that as my husband did not visit a doctor I was not eligible for a refund of the cost of his medication.

I thought I was saving the system the fee for the doctor's visit, but in the end I am left well and truly out of pocket!

Jackie

When we went away for well over a month to Australia with breaks in Singapore there and back, we explained this to our GP practice and they happily made sure we had enough of our medication.

Ours is not serious but my wife has regular tablets to take each day. I am not aware that the "rules" are different for travel in the EU compared to anywhere else?

In fact our practice has posters on the wall encouraging people to make sure they organise extra medication if they are going to be out of the country for extended periods.

May i suggest that it would be worthwhile sticking your ground and demanding a Prescription for the medication you need. It could be that you had a "jobs-worth" administrator in the loop rather than someone who knew what they were doing.

Without knowing any details it is possible your medication may have a limited shelf life and therefore having it for a longer period is not possible.

We have had no problems with our GP in getting extra supplies for our long trips away, in fact when we lived overseas we could get up to a year at a time. My wife was allowed to keep her 'medication' in the fridge so it did not become invaild. Alhtough we visited a local health centre for administering it, she always carried her own 'supplies' as some of the places we were in did not have them.

Guest pelmetman

Our Doctor will give Dave two months worth of medication as long as we are going abroad.

However, if we are holidaying in the UK he will only give one months worth and we have to register at a local doctors where we are staying.  

SUE

We find that most Prescription needs are available over the counter in Spain and Portugal where we are regular visitors ,just produce the tablet box or medicine bottle at a Pharmacy and they will have an equivalent and it doesn't cost much, our GP will generally give us enough of our needs for our trips anyway but it is good to know that it is available to us over the counter anyway. I would never dream of trying to recoup the costs from the NHS on return home.

Guest Tracker
pelmetman - 2011-10-19 5:12 PMOur Doctor will give Dave two months worth of medication as long as we are going abroad.

However, if we are holidaying in the UK he will only give one months worth and we have to register at a local doctors where we are staying.  

SUE
Yes Sue - we were told this a couple of years ago which is why we never holiday in the UK no matter where we are going if you get my drift!I would hate to see the incredible hulk without his medication - it don't bear thinking about do it !!!!

jackie owen - 2011-10-19 10:06 AM

Our GP will only issue 1 month's supply of medication for us, so going away for many weeks as we do is a problem. This summer, to renew my prescription, I went to a doctor, at a cost of 23 euros. When I went to the pharmacy, I showed them my "repeat prescription" and they confirmed that I could purchase the medication without going to a doctor. So, when my husband needed some more medication, I bought them from the pharmacy. On our return I applied for a refund only to be told that as my husband did not visit a doctor I was not eligible for a refund of the cost of his medication.

I thought I was saving the system the fee for the doctor's visit, but in the end I am left well and truly out of pocket!

Jackie

We had exactly the same problem last Winter when we were in Portugal. Now although we are in the French Health System we have been told that this year we have to go to a Doctor in Portugal before we can claim the costs back from the UK Health System. I think this is because of the reciprocal agreements that have been made in the EU. We have even got a Top-Up Insurance in France as well but it makes no difference we STILL have to go through the UK system.

I am now able to re-order my prescription online from my surgery. Either I, or a family member or friend, can pick this up from the surgery or local Pharmacy. Last month I asked for 2 months supply, for holidaying abroad & they supplied without question.

A thought?-

If you have this facility, and if you have internet when away, then it should be feasible for you to order online, get someone to pick up & post the prescription to you by arrangement? I don't see why there should be a problem doing this unless posting is an issue.

Archived