Snooper Ventura S6000

Part Time

Bought one of these about six weeks ago as a replacement for an aging TomTom and popped over to France. On three occasions it tried to directed me onto toll roads despite the "no toll roads" being checked. (there were acceptable route nationals available). It told me to do a "U" turn on a motorway and it takes an age to lock on from cold.There were a couple of other issues which I wont bore you with. Mailed Snooper with my concerns. First response asked for software version. Response to that was ask for serial number at which point I sent the entire Version details. Last response was that a new map was available FOR £85!!! Not a sinle issue I raised was addresed by them. So fellow travellers if you are thinking of changing or buying a Sat Nav DONT BUY A SNOPPER. :$

Guest 1footinthegrave
Hasn't this been done to death on many threads, the shortcomings of Sat Nav, oh and it's a little known fact that the famous flat pack furniture maker has been behind the developement of Sat Nav, you know the one " MFI" aka, made for idiots, by idiots, both mine went on Ebay and now my life is a little calmer. ;-)

Clearly the S7000 software didnt get transfered to the S6000. Alternatively any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong would be welcome. My main issue has been the appalling response from Snooper customer (dis) services. Oh and for the benifit of "one foot" I am pretty good at flat pack furniture!

Guest 1footinthegrave
No offence intended, what I meant to say was the manufacturers treat us as idiots, almost all of them to a man completely lacking in customer care, and I and many others think it is a flawed technology that no doubt in time may be sorted, but my experiences with both a Garmin and a Tom Tom were frustrating on occasions to say the least, this seems to be the case with all of them.

If you've not had the S6000 long sand Snooper are saying there';s a new map that they want to charge you for then I'd definitely go down the "Not Fit For Purpose" route under Sales/Supply of Goods Act.

Write to them and give them one more chance-copy to local Trading Standards

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-20 9:53 AM

Hasn't this been done to death on many threads, the shortcomings of Sat Nav, oh and it's a little known fact that the famous flat pack furniture maker has been behind the developement of Sat Nav, you know the one " MFI" aka, made for idiots, by idiots, both mine went on Ebay and now my life is a little calmer. ;-)

So this thread shouldn't be of any concern to you should it? So why do you feel the need to interject into what was a sensible debate. So butt out until we ask for your opinion into whether we should have a Sat' Nav' or not. >:-)

Part Time - 2011-10-19 5:49 PM

Bought one of these about six weeks ago as a replacement for an aging TomTom and popped over to France. On three occasions it tried to directed me onto toll roads despite the "no toll roads" being checked. (there were acceptable route nationals available). It told me to do a "U" turn on a motorway and it takes an age to lock on from cold.There were a couple of other issues which I wont bore you with. Mailed Snooper with my concerns. First response asked for software version. Response to that was ask for serial number at which point I sent the entire Version details. Last response was that a new map was available FOR £85!!! Not a sinle issue I raised was addresed by them. So fellow travellers if you are thinking of changing or buying a Sat Nav DONT BUY A SNOPPER. :$

Did you buy direct from Snooper, or elsewhere?

If direct, and they want £85 for up to date maps, I suggest you do as above, and tell them you want your money back because the unit they sold is out of date.

If you bought elsewhere, print off your e-mail to Snooper, and their reply, and take the Snooper plus the printed e-mails back to the store, and ask them to put things right at no cost to you.

It should not perform as you describe, though they do take a bit of getting used to and fine tuning before you reach a modus vivendi.

Despite 1foot's interjection, I have used a Garmin Nuvi in UK, France, Italy, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Germany and Greece and have experienced very few "bum steers".

You do need up to date maps, which will still be out of date here and there because roads get altered faster than maps are made. I suspect the bits of toll road it sent you down had been wrongly classified as non-toll, or possibly had previously been non-toll. Things change.

You also need to keep the routes fairly short, and review them with the aid of an up to date map to see if you like what the machine is trying to do. Then, insert waypoints to correct the route if you are unhappy. Remember, they are only navigation aids, not route planners.

If you let the machine choose the route, don't be surprised if it selects routes a human might not. It is brilliant technology, but underlying the routing options is only maths and logic which, depending on circumstances, may give funny results. For example, ours almost invariably wants to go through town centres in preference to using by-passes.

Why? Because, based on information buried in the map data, it assumes the speed at which you will drive down a given category of road. So if town centre x assumed speed is quicker than by-pass x assumed speed, which it often is, it will go for the town centre route. It knows nothing of rush hours, traffic light sequences, stalled cars, delivery vans double parked, pedestrian crossings etc etc. Once you know this, you can anticipate the likelihood and take the by-pass rather than following the machine.

However, providing the co-ordinates are correct, it will get you right to the door of almost anywhere in Europe you can reach by road.

Guest 1footinthegrave
peter - 2011-10-23 11:15 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-20 9:53 AM

So this thread shouldn't be of any concern to you should it? So why do you feel the need to interject into what was a sensible debate. So butt out until we ask for your opinion into whether we should have a Sat' Nav' or not. >:-)

Ah, nice, the friendly forums,I love it more and more.

Sorry I interrupted you with your sensible contribution for the guy " you must be doing something wrong" just classic stuff, that must have been a very helpful interject from you and he's all sorted now as a result. My interject was an attempt at humour,sorry if you did not get it.

Archived