Getting fuel in Germany ... Maestro Debit Card

Mel B

I started a thread a while back about our planned trip to Germany and our abandoning it due to difficulties in being able to payfor/obtain fuel. For those who don't want to read the thread (see link below), basically for Germany ideally you need a Maestro debit card to be able to pay for fuel as we had problems this year using our UK cards.

Germany thread

Fortunately we have finally got our sticky little mitts on a Maestro card!

We have a savings account with Yorkshire Bank and as it had a better interest rate for a year which is coming to an end hubby rang to see what we need to do about it and he was told that he should have been issued with a Maestro card when we took the account out as that is the way that we would be able to draw money out ... so they've sent us one! So for us ... problem solved so long as we put enough money in the account before we go away.

Sooooooo, if anyone has a Yorkshire Bank account, savings or otherwise, they SHOULD be able to get a Maestro card from them without difficulty.

:->

Barney123 - 2011-10-20 7:45 PM

Hi, I also have just come back from Germany, and have used Lloydstsb both Mastercard and Visa Debit cards in fuel stations and shops with no bother at all. So why the panic ?

No panic ... read my original thread and you'll understand the dilemma we had.

I sympathise with Mel on this one. I don't have much expereience of buying fuel in Germany as I try to avoid doing so, entering with a full tank (and about 20 ltrs in extra cans) usually bought in Luxembourg or Austria. BUT I have found some German supermarkets, - big and small, - unwilling to take Visa or M/c and preferring Maestro - or cash.

I've tried to get a Maestro card and have pressed MaestroHQ for details of isssuing banks in the UK. Yorkshire bank is one of about 6 banks, none national, that are on that list. To set up an account and get a card, one has to attend the bank in person (money laundering rules apparently). But as far as I recall, most were "oop thar" and at least 300 miles or more away from us down yer in zummerzet..

If I could get a Maestro card from a local bank I'd jump at the chance, and if anyone can help me, please tell.

I notice a lot of Germans still use cheques but I don't fancy opening a € account in Germany just to get some.

We have had a Meastro card for years with our Y.B account O.H. always uses his for fuel when in Germany that leaves the Visa for drawing cash. I must admit though I very rarely offer it to pay for goods I prefer to go to the cash machine its less hassle for me then I can remember my pin in a calm unrushed way *-) ( a sign of me showing my age) It comes to us all!! there are times when I put in my card and my mind goes blank!!!! I would hate to have it rejected over there.

Maestro no advantage in Germany or anywhere else we have been. Never had a problem with Visa in Germany for fuel but on occasion in shops, we always ask in supermarkets before shopping. Would not bother us much having to pay cash on occasion and certainly would not leave the country if it happened once. Out of interest we did run into a problem in France two weeks ago when for the first time in four years a fuel station would not take our cards at an automatic pump but next one up the road was fine.

Germany is Germany: it has its own way of doing things and is generally very conservative in its outlook, especially with money. The scar of pre-war hyperinflation is still etched into their psyche, although they are much more relaxed than they were. Traditionally, they have looked askance at almost any form of credit, and were probably the last country in Europe to adopt credit cards. Many are still suspicious of them and don't like them.

This is in sharp contrast to France, where "plastic" was very rapidly adopted, more quickly even than in UK. However, most French credit cards are fee paying, and are liable to be withdrawn if the holder breaches their credit allowance. Other countries fall somewhere between. I have in the past been offered discounts in Italy to pay in cash instead of by card.

But surely, that is one of the reasons we travel? To see what other countries are like. When we find they are different, we merely need to bend a bit to adapt. Wouldn't it be rather boring, on the whole, if all were the same? There'd be no point whatever in going anywhere else at all. Then, you'd never have the pleasure of sticking your fork into a great, fat, steaming, wurst of some kind, and being rewarded with a jet of juice straight into your eye! You know it's all fun really! :-D

One thing I forgot to mention before, when hubby was doing some casual work at the University recently registering students, a German student turn up at the next desk and wanted to use his German bank card - as the girl hadn't seen one before hubby had a look and realised it was a Maestro card so got chatting to him whilst his paperwork was being processed. The student said it was a nightmare as the German banks charged for just about everything ... as the transaction cost to him was going to be fairly high for him to use his card, he wanted to just pay the minimum he could and pay the rest in the future when he had a UK bank account.

As I said on the other thread, we experienced difficulties and, as we go off the beaten track more than a lot of folk do, we didn't feel comfortable at not being prepared for them by having enough cash, or access to it, in order to enjoy a holiday in Germany, hence our decision to go back into France (which we thoroughly enjoyed). But rest assured we will be going to Germany next year ... fully prepared!!! :D

Further to your previous posting about Debit Cards in Germany, you mentioned obtaining currency from ATMs.

We found that this was not possible. We had to walk from the mini bank with ATM in the shopping centre into the commercial district to a large branch where we were able to obtain cash over the counter without any difficulty. It was a long hot walk (for me at least). I was then able to buy the guide book and birthday card I wanted.

From then onwards we made sure we always had sufficient cash for shopping.

We very much liked Germany, but not the fact that to travel distances we had to be on the Motorways. We tried country travel but in 4 hours had covered only 70 miles. Not very good progress to return to UK. We also liked the Stellplatz which were situated so close to town centres. We will definately return.

Joyce

We have used our Visa debit card at ATM,s all over Germany including small villages along the Mosel! I always keep a record in my diary are first withdrawel was at Trier next Burgan next Breisach, Saarburgh, and Stenay oh and I forgot Fussen.

You are best thinking ahead and make sure when you visit the larger towns top up your cash we always end up bringing money home as I like to make sure we always have enough for any unplanned expenses, that way you have always euros in for your next trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Mel B - 2011-10-20 6:43 PM

I started a thread a while back about our planned trip to Germany and our abandoning it due to difficulties in being able to payfor/obtain fuel. For those who don't want to read the thread (see link below), basically for Germany ideally you need a Maestro debit card to be able to pay for fuel as we had problems this year using our UK cards.

Germany thread

Fortunately we have finally got our sticky little mitts on a Maestro card!

We have a savings account with Yorkshire Bank and as it had a better interest rate for a year which is coming to an end hubby rang to see what we need to do about it and he was told that he should have been issued with a Maestro card when we took the account out as that is the way that we would be able to draw money out ... so they've sent us one! So for us ... problem solved so long as we put enough money in the account before we go away.

Sooooooo, if anyone has a Yorkshire Bank account, savings or otherwise, they SHOULD be able to get a Maestro card from them without difficulty.

:->

Thanks very much for your informative post. We plan to go to Germany Sept 2012 and will now make arrangements accordingly.

This is what, IMO is what these forums are all about - letting people know your experiences whether good or bad.

Thanks again and glad to hear Lily is OK now.

Regards Cleo :-)

Archived