motorhome carpet.

deerhound

My motorhome carpet was not used very often by previous owner and hence great condition, but after 4 days of almost constant rain last week it is starting to suffer, I found an advert on ebay that copies the original (no price given) but given that it is not great size would it make sense to purchase decent carpet and cut to suit myself? or should I go for carpet that is bound on edges? Thanks for advice. :'(

Hi Deerhound,

I would ditch the original carpets and get a Turtle Mat.

The beauty of them is when they get grubby you put them in the washing machine :-D

And they really do work! We have 2 long runners down the centre of our MH and a smaller one cut in two to fit the doorstep. They also improve with washing so don't be afraid to wash them regularly.

They always have a stand at the MH shows if you want to get a bargain price and save postage.

They may seem expensive but as they really do work I view them as excellent value for money. To me something is only expensive if it doesn't work!

Keith.

Guest pelmetman

Hi Deerhound

Can't quite get my head round the fact that after a few days of constant rain you are thinking of getting a new carpet!!

We have been motorhoming for over 20 years in the same van and have the original carpet. 

You need to look at getting some good runners that can be put in the washing machine after a trip.  We bought some rag rugs many years ago which are great, are light to carry and stand up well to continued washing.

Sue

Guest Tracker

Old towels and newspapers are very good at taking up excess water and mud in that order.

The only time wet gets in is on feet or wet weather clothes - and the ruddy dog who likes a good shake as soon as she gets indoors - which is where more old towels come in handy.

Sure it is a bit of a faff each time but cheaper and easier overall than buying new carpets and whenit is dry everything returns to normal - well whatever passes for normal in our lives.

Three years ago I bought a good quality carpet off cut from a local carpet store and fitted it myself and we have fitted carpet on underlay throughout the van and in every locker.

Not to everyone's taste I know as many folk prefer cold lino which is easy to clean or ill fitting loose mats which can be shaken out, but fitted makes the van warmer and a bit quieter on the road, is easy to vacuum clean and is very nice underfoof for lounging and nocturnal perambulations.

Thanks for information, I lifted the original carpet but floor was too slippery, problem is colour of carpet which is dark green and shows slightest bit of dirt. My idea was to put original carpet away and use somthing disposable. The park I was on had water running through it several inches deep and each time I was going in and out it was not only water but fresh mud! spent while last night hoovering and then carpet shampoo, seems to have helped a bit. Will go for this type as advised. Thanks again. :D

Guest Tracker

When conditions are that bad we tend to go elsewhere as there is little joy in wading through mud. Did the site not have any hard standings?

A waterproof washable outside door mat on which to remove wellies might help but you will then need a strong plastic bag for it to keep everything else clean when not it's in use and somewhere to store it.

In really bad weather we have a weather proof mat outside to take off shoes before entering. In general to preserve the original carpet we have a separate bound carpet just inside the door to take the bulk of the wear and provide an area to take off external shoes etc. All we need now is a full proof method of stoping the darn thing moving with the pile of the carpet all the time. I bad weather we cover this with a copy of the Telegraph. All this has always worked well for us.

james,

I cannot quite work out what you've been doing in 4 days to need a new carpet from one you describe as in 'great condition',

Was it not possible to turn the van around to the lee side of the weather? Do you have an army of dogs with big feet? Did you have to keep going out in the wet, I'm puzzled and it seems others are too?

However like others we too use newspaper and each page that gets soaked we remove ... or we stay in and avoid it all.

art

We had these on the Steps of our previous van & they were good for getting mud off before entering the van. (plus if travelling in rain, that washed them FOC.)

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-clean-step-cover.html

Unfortunately they won’t fit the slide out step. (blade style) on our current Autocruise.

Cheap bound-edge Carpet Runners @ B&Q in various widths (60cm x 180cm from ~ £20)

We also have their Carpet sheet gripper, sold to use under carpets on laminate flooring, but I can’t find it on their website.

Since selling the Autosleeper (UK and fitted carpet!) we've had continetnal vans (no carpet, vinyl flooring),which we find much more hygenic and very much easier to keep clean.

For winter use, we have a couple of carpet strips which we had madeup and bound from left over carpet when re-carpeting our flat. This works admirably.

We also have a turtle mat (or equivalent) just inside the door. When encountering bad weather conditions, we use newspaper (Telegraph works well!!) 2 or 3 pages thick over this, whihc takes up any dirt and mud etc on the bottom of the shoes/boots. Ourside we put one of the smallish 'holey'rubber mats where you wipe your shoes and the dirt etc goes onto the ground below, and which we can wash off under a tap if necessary.

Mel B - 2011-10-21 8:01 PM

Colin

Do a test with a strip of the 'hook' part of Velcro on the top of your carpet - if it grips you know it will do what you want so just stick it to the back of your mat and it should solve the problem.

Did try that but the carpet still seems to,have a mind of it's own. Thinking of trying carpet tacks!

Colin Leake - 2011-10-22 11:43 PM
Mel B - 2011-10-21 8:01 PM Colin Do a test with a strip of the 'hook' part of Velcro on the top of your carpet - if it grips you know it will do what you want so just stick it to the back of your mat and it should solve the problem.
Did try that but the carpet still seems to,have a mind of it's own. Thinking of trying carpet tacks!

Staple some bungee cord to the mat and the front step?, or try 150mm iron dowels as used in the roofing trade :-)

Archived