Aires v camp sites

rupert123

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-07 11:07 AM

And as for quibbling over spelling – surely we should have progressed beyond that by now?

I wasn't quibbling over spelling, but correcting translation.

Aire is French for area. If people knew this, they wouldn't pluralise the singular.

derek500 - 2011-11-07 12:28 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-07 11:07 AM

And as for quibbling over spelling – surely we should have progressed beyond that by now?

I wasn't quibbling over spelling, but correcting translation.

Aire is French for area. If people knew this, they wouldn't pluralise the singular.

Well Derek, you really have problems. If the guist of my posting was not obvious, requiring you to provide corrections, then you have an even bigger problem.

Must go and check my grammar or that silly teacher will give me 100 lines on how to use aire or aires

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2011-11-07 3:15 PM
derek500 - 2011-11-07 12:28 PM
Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-07 11:07 AMAnd as for quibbling over spelling – surely we should have progressed beyond that by now?
I wasn't quibbling over spelling, but correcting translation. Aire is French for area. If people knew this, they wouldn't pluralise the singular.
Well Derek, you really have problems. If the guist of my posting was not obvious, requiring you to provide corrections, then you have an even bigger problem.Must go and check my grammar or that silly teacher will give me 100 lines on how to use aire or aires
Well I hope that cleared the aire:D

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-07 10:07 AM

I don’t understand why where should be for-and-against argument about this. It’s like arguing that red wine is good and white wine is bad – some people prefer one to the other and neither is wrong. Some people are prepared to pay £200 per bottle, others no more than £5 – so what, it’s their choice.

Ah come on its a good laugh!!! Ive just started coming back on the forum after the trip. dont let me down by being nice to each other.

Everyone knows campsites are for tuggers and people who wear white socks and sandles :-D 8-)

OOOH Im in for it now.

Never mind just landed back home for the first time since spring, got a case of Leffe to celebrate (Actually drown my sorrows of being back) Lets have it then!

Not only has the "aire" been refurbished, there is now a payment machine at the "aire" for parking. We noticed it 3 weeks ago as we were disposing of our rubbish before we left, nobody seemed to have any tickets from it looking at the vans around us. There isn't a big sign just the machine and a small notice, easy to miss. I think it was 10 euros or 7 euros out of season. The dump out faciliities are good even though there're about a mile away, but well signposted from the aire.

More car parking has been provided with a height barrier nearer the road bridge, so there's probably less fuss about the number of vans at the aire.

cheers alan

Guest 1footinthegrave
alan k - 2011-11-07 5:45 PM

Not only has the "aire" been refurbished, there is now a payment machine at the "aire" for parking. We noticed it 3 weeks ago as we were disposing of our rubbish before we left, nobody seemed to have any tickets from it looking at the vans around us. There isn't a big sign just the machine and a small notice, easy to miss. I think it was 10 euros or 7 euros out of season. The dump out faciliities are good even though there're about a mile away, but well signposted from the aire.

More car parking has been provided with a height barrier nearer the road bridge, so there's probably less fuss about the number of vans at the aire.

cheers alan

10 Euros plus the cost of the service point, that cannot be true, or they have developed a sense of humour, we have stopped there and ignored being awakened by the buses and traffic saying "well at least it's free" and it's very handy for to or fro from Calais. Methinks this could well the way of things to come in France, 9 Euro down at Le Torquet when last we stopped as well. While I've no problem with paying a few bob for the convenience, at these prices I'll be stopping on Municipals more and more,and getting a shower and elec thrown in.

Guest 1footinthegrave
peejay - 2011-11-07 6:20 PM

I've told you a million times not to exagerate (lol)

Its now €6 from April to Sept and €3 for the rest of the year.

Pete

Well if it's true, plus you have the additional charge to use the service point, it will be interesting to see what the French vanners make of it, not much I would imagine !

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-07 7:03 PM

Current details of the Gravelines facility are on

http://www.i-campingcar.fr/aires.php?ville=GRAVELINES

Stayed at the"aire" at the end of July and there were no signs of services, only directions to the services in town. Photo on French guide looks like this fascility. Even at the charge an excellent place to stay prior to the ferry. Have stayed at the port in Calias before and although ok a bit noisy with the ferries

Guest 1footinthegrave

Brand new service point ( Pay ) near the Gendarmerie well signed just over the bridge, maybe a half a mile from the parking Aire, at Rue de la Gendarmerie / Boulevard de l' Europe.

sshortcircuit - 2011-11-07 7:41 PM

Stayed at the"aire" at the end of July and there were no signs of services, only directions to the services in town. Photo on French guide looks like this fascility. Even at the charge an excellent place to stay prior to the ferry. Have stayed at the port in Calias before and although ok a bit noisy with the ferries

The 'aire' described on the website link I provided is an "aire de services camping-car" installed to provide fresh-water and waste-emptying facilities for motorhomes. The website entry makes it clear that (although it may well be possible to park nearby) the place where the Gravelines authorities expect motorhomes to stay is elsewhere at the Rue du Port.

This differentiation is made even plainer on the campingcar-infos website, where Gravelines has two entries, one in the "Aires de services publiques ou privées" section referring to the servicing facility at Rue del la Gendarmerie and a second in "Aires de services de stationnement" referring to the motorhome parking at Parking des Miaules, Rue du Port.

If it's to be believed by UK motorcaravanners that every 'aire' combines servicing facilities AND parking, there will always be the potential for confusion.

We came across a French 'aire' in October by accident, having seen a sign at the entry to a smallish town that we've no reason to visit normally. This aire (opened in July 2010) doesn't seem to be in any of the guide-books yet, nor on the aires websites. A newspaper article states that the aire's service-pedestal offers 100 litres of fresh-water or 1 hour of electricity via a €2 jeton. Waste-emptying is also provided. There's all-year-round free parking (maximum duration of 24 hours) for up to 5 motorhomes on attractive grassed areas with young shrubs and trees, plus free access to the nearby swimming-pool and tennis-courts. The aire is next door to a small Camping Municipal (open June to mid-September) where the 2011 charge for a motorhome, 2 adults and an electricity hook-up was €11.04 Presumably the local authorities don't see the aire 'taking trade' from the campsite when the latter is open and anticipate that it will attract touring motorhomes to the town when the campsite is closed. Nobody there when we visited and no tyre signs on the grass to indicate 'vans had parked there recently. The newspaper article revealed that the project had taken two years to implement and cost €12000, so it's likely to be a long while before the town gets a return on its investment.

We were at Gravelines just over a week ago and both aires are in operation. The aire de stationment by the river has a payment machine installed (3€ low season, 6€ high season), but French 'vanners said charge would not apply until signs were put up. Interestingly the 'vanners we spoke to were pleased a charge was to be introduced as felt would have more chance of finding a space. To be honest we would not object to 10€/night as it is a great place to stay. The aire de service near the Gendarmerie is easy to us, credit card operation so no problems there.

Hope have got the correct usage of aire and aires! Derrick you forgot to mention where your lovely new aire was; without publicity they will never have any visitors!!

robertandjean - 2011-11-08 9:21 AM

...Derrick you forgot to mention where your lovely new aire was; without publicity they will never have any visitors!!

I rarely forget and, once the aire gets into the books and on to the website I'm sure plenty of motorhomes will go there. In the meantime I'm going to remain selfish as being parked on my own overnight is exactly what I want!

Well personally I think that is much better, I hate feeling like a freeloader ;-) that wont break the bank will it?? I sometimes feel as if the French residents look on us as just one step up from the travelers (gypsies) !! if we want the French/Germans to keep providing these very handy stop off places we need to show a bit of gratitude :-) after all we get charged not much more and in some cases much more to park our cars to shop in this country.£4.75p for just over 3 hrs in Middlesbrough recently I was furious!!!

maggyd - 2011-11-08 2:59 PM

[show a bit of gratitude :-) after all we get charged not much more and in some cases much more to park our cars to shop in this country.£4.75p for just over 3 hrs in Middlesbrough recently I was furious!!!

That sounds cheap to us Southerners, in Worthing would have cost you £6.00

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-08 2:40 PM

...Derrick you forgot to mention where your lovely new aire was; without publicity they will never have any visitors!!

I rarely forget and, once the aire gets into the books and on to the website I'm sure plenty of motorhomes will go there. In the meantime I'm going to remain selfish as being parked on my own overnight is exactly what I want!

Is that the "LONG" and the short of it ! !

One of the main reasons for any forum is to share information. Everyone else seems only to willing to share aires, campsites, this is pathetic.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2011-11-08 3:24 PM

One of the main reasons for any forum is to share information. Everyone else seems only to willing to share aires, campsites, this is pathetic.

I think he is referring to, as I tried to be cryptic in the post above yours, LONG, we stayed there September just gone, lovely spot down the Somme area right outside the municipal site, but not to my knowledge detailed anywhere as yet.

Sorry, are you 'talking' to me? If so, perhaps you'd like to be more explicit as I haven't a clue what your comment is supposed to mean.

lennyhb - 2011-11-08 3:10 PM

maggyd - 2011-11-08 2:59 PM

[show a bit of gratitude :-) after all we get charged not much more and in some cases much more to park our cars to shop in this country.£4.75p for just over 3 hrs in Middlesbrough recently I was furious!!!

That sounds cheap to us Southerners, in Worthing would have cost you £6.00

There you go then ;-) I rest my case.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-08 7:07 PM

Sorry, are you 'talking' to me? If so, perhaps you'd like to be more explicit as I haven't a clue what your comment is supposed to mean.

Yes talking to you Derek. Cannot make it much clearer, 1Foot certainly knew what I was talking about. However not that important I guess as he has kindly told us where the aire is anyway.

Archived