Window Seals Sticking

Birder

I used to use talc which works extremely well but have now switched to Thetford seal lubricant which is designed for the rubber seals on their toilets but works brilliantly on window and door seals as well. Take care when using silicon lubricants to make sure they are just silicon and not a petroleum based lubricant with added silicon.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Olive oil wiped lightly on with a cloth, and also use it on the loo seal / blade, Forgive me Colin but no need for expensive thetford stuff.

Sorry, but please to not use olive oil, it oxidises and polymerises to a hard varnish...just look at the stain under your bottle on the kicthen shelf, a b****r to remove!!

It is fine for the loo seals short term as a lubricant if you do not have any silicon lubricant but does not last as long as it washes off much quicker and if nt dries up. It wil also affect the seals over time whereas the silicon will protect much better. ( I don't care what Thetford say - its not ideal)

Most caravan centres sell a much cheaper equivalent to the thetford lubricant in small bottles. One bottle will last you a life time for only a couple of quid.

The ideal is french chalk or talc for the window seals as it is dry and will not attract dirt and grime. Next best is silicon polish applied to the window as I mentioned.

Guest 1footinthegrave
There you go then, this "tip" I read somewhere else just goes to show you can't take everything as gospel. Many thanks for that I'll stop using it immediately. :-(

Colin Leake - 2011-10-22 10:31 PM

I used to use talc which works extremely well but have now switched to Thetford seal lubricant which is designed for the rubber seals on their toilets but works brilliantly on window and door seals as well. Take care when using silicon lubricants to make sure they are just silicon and not a petroleum based lubricant with added silicon.

Tried this but it collects dirt on both the window and seal as well, particularly if you have the windows open, this gets transferred to anything that touches it i.e. curtains, clothes, so have reverted to the tried and tested caravan method from the seventies when acrylic windows first came out and this 'problem' started to raise its head. Found nothing to beat French Chalk or talc!

Bas

Before you spend any money check this, I thought that my vans window seals were sticking [ HYMER ] as one in particular became difficult to open ,I tried talc silicon lubricant etc and none worked, I then discovered that the window Perspect had moved slightly in the top catchment ? hinge, and was in fact fouling the frame, a gentle tap or two with a rubber mallet realigned the window and Hey Presto problem solved.

Archived