Putting camper out of action during the wintermonth!

Clementine

May I please have your advice again.

Further to our manual (i.e. you remember the salt in the water tank?) we must keep the camper on the level at all times. The question is, what if everything is winterised, i.e. fridge turned off, watertanks empty can we park it on a slope for 4-5 months? Any advice on putting the camper out of action would be also appreciated. (It's a Trigano Tribute).

Thank you in advance for your always very useful help and advice.

Why can't you park it on a slope? never heard of that one before, if you do park it on a slope for a long period I would put blocks at each wheel to stop it rolling and leave it out of gear and the hand brake OFF, that way nothing can seize on, make sure the water pipes are drained of water as far as you can, leave taps open to help prevent damage in the event of freezing, pull the fuse from the water pump system to prevent the pump running when stored, make sure the water pump is empty of water as that can freeze , too.Check your toilet cassette is empty and yours may have a reservoir for flushing so that will need draining too. Leave cupboards open for air circulation, and off course the fridge door, dampness in the air can be a problem if you leave clothing or bedding in the van so ventilation is important as well.Beware of vermin ,Mice etc .they love a nice warm van to sleep in in Winter, best wishes Malc.

Clementine - 2011-10-22 11:06 AM

May I please have your advice again.

Further to our manual (i.e. you remember the salt in the water tank?) we must keep the camper on the level at all times. The question is, what if everything is winterised, i.e. fridge turned off, watertanks empty can we park it on a slope for 4-5 months? Any advice on putting the camper out of action would be also appreciated. (It's a Trigano Tribute).

Thank you in advance for your always very useful help and advice.

Perhaps the level at all times bit is referring to your fridge, some fridges do not like not being unlevel and give trouble in use, never had a problem myself though as our Electrolux works fine whatever the level.

Agree with all the advice above and I also can't see why the van needs to be parked on the level when laid up.

However, I'd suggest you try to use the Tribute at least once a month if possible. Not to sleep in, but to go out for the day, or just a decent drive. You can manage without filling the water tank, just use a couple of bottles for making tea etc. Taking the van for a good outing every so often will do it the world of good, in my opinion. That's what we do through the winter.

I put ramps under our wheels so that we are on a slope !!

The water and snow drains off and no standing frosty puddles.

OTOH

Are you sure you want to winterise it too much ??

Think of all those uncrowded places and beaches you can vist, A flask of coffee and a sarnie away from the crowds !

Best time for M/homing

Rgds

Clementine - 2011-10-22 11:06 AM

Further to our manual (i.e. you remember the salt in the water tank?) we must keep the camper on the level at all times. .....................

If this is a direct quote from the manual, and is without further qualification, it is clearly illogical, and impossible to comply with. "At all times would", after all, include while driving, which would appear to limit your travels somewhat! :-)

Coachbuilt Tributes have prominent Luton overcabs but flat roofs aft, that would seem to me to benefit from being parked "nose-up" rather than level, to minimise puddling on that flat area.

PVC Tributes should be as unaffected by incline when parked, as the vans on which they are based.

However, leaving the vehicle parked for 4/5 months without moving it, unless under cover, would not be a good idea. Apart from any other consideration, if you do this, you are likely to find the batteries flat what you come to start it and use it. You are also likely to find that the tyres deteriorate from standing in the same spot, that the brakes are rough and uneven from rust on the discs, and possibly that the clutch drags at first. You will also find the gearbox stiff and "notchy", because oil has drained away from many of its moving parts. Unless the weather is foul, and the roads covered with salty slush, I would say drive it at least monthly and, if you postpone this due to bad weather, take it out as soon as the weather improves. These vehicles are built to drive, not to stand around, and do not generally respond well to being left static for long periods.

I have parked on a steep drive for years one you have to keep the handbrake applied. ( very steep)

I have never had any problems until last year when it was a very cold winter.

Some water although i though drained blew the bends leading to the hot water heater.

This year i drained on the level so that all the water was expelled.

it was an expensive lesson. as they dont do the fittings for my heater anymore.

I alway keep the vehicle and leisure batteries on float charge as the cold can really wack a batteries voltage down.

I dont use the M/H charger as it tends to boil the batteries.

You live and learn

We have a drive which slopes down from the road and reverse the camper in so the rain would run off the back nicely, we then put some air-ride suspension on the rear which raised the rear up and made it level. :-( So now we put some old wheel ramps under the front wheels to create the slope again .... *-)

Other things that tend to get overlooked, if you have them, are water traps below the sinks and shower outlets. I forgot about them and had one below the sink crack one winter. If you cannot drain them do what I do now, add antifreeze to them. I use Halfords Double Concentrate screen wash, undiluted it provides protection to - 40 * C.

Brian B.

Guest Peter James
I would add don't put a blanket over chairs, matresses etc to cover them up. Because that will encourage vermin to get underneath the blanket to make a nest. Take away cushions, pillows etc that they could nest underneath.

Archived