Lock barrel for access hatch

AL68

I have an underbed locker that can be accessed from outside. The access hatch has two handles each with a lock. One of the locks is playing up, the key will not push home for the last 2 or 3 mm and hence will not turn and lock / unlock. I have tried penetrating oil but no joy, not quite true, it did work for a very short period but on reassembly it was back to square one. Does not appear to be rusty as oil exits as clean as it went in. Any suggestions? I have a source for a new barrel and key but delivery is quoted as months!

Thanks

AL68 - 2011-10-22 11:15 AM

I have an underbed locker that can be accessed from outside. The access hatch has two handles each with a lock. One of the locks is playing up, the key will not push home for the last 2 or 3 mm and hence will not turn and lock / unlock. I have tried penetrating oil but no joy, not quite true, it did work for a very short period but on reassembly it was back to square one. Does not appear to be rusty as oil exits as clean as it went in. Any suggestions? I have a source for a new barrel and key but delivery is quoted as months!

Thanks

After posting this I had another look at the barrel, the key would still not drive home and rotate untill I gave the barrel a tap on the side after which it worked fine. Now I am concerned that when it gets another tap it might revert to broken mode. I have tapped it and shaken it but it still kept working. I refitted it to the hatch and slammed the hatch a few times and it continues to work. Will it fail again????? Should I replace it???

If it is any help, I recently needed a new lock barrel for my Autotrail and got one direct from Autotrail with the same key as all my other locks for £10.00 + P&P and VAT all within 3 Days. If you phone them with ayour key number they may have one to fit. they do seem to be simiar on most vans.

I have just looked at my invoice it is a "Vecam barrel"

The Tel Number for Autotrail is 01472571000

Archived