Preventative winter freezing

Mickydripin

Hi I noticed an item in either the cc mag or the MMM mag that prevents your pipes from freezing during the bad weather but I have lost it,

It connects to your water system and draines down the last dregs that cause all the trouble.

Has anybody used it is it easy to fit and has it been sucsessfull.

I saw that today in MMM. It's basically a tap to shut off any water at the tank or pump outlet and another on a tee piece that you connect a small 12v compressor to. You then open the fawcet taps in turn whilst switching on the compressor and opening the tap to allow the system to be pressurised , thus purging the system of water. What it did not mention is that you should also press the toilet flush button as this pipe will also contain water. Do not start the compressor until at least one fawcet tap is open or you water pipes will explode under the pressure.

You could assemble all these standard water and air fittings yourself with no problem and it certainly wouldn't cost the £48 or so that it is being marketed for.

Yes, I saw it too, and had a similar reaction to Peter. How pipework reacts to ice depends on the type of pipe used. Rigid pipes may be affected (joints disengaged or pipe split) but the flexible reinforced hose type pipes should be OK as they will expand to accommodate the ice. I'm also doubtful about the ability of air pressure to displace water up the last, vertical, section of pipe that leads to the tap. I think the water would merely splutter and bubble back down, letting the air pass by. So, reduced water in pipes, and that may be sufficient to prevent ice damage, but it will depend somewhat on how level the pipe runs are. My reaction, FWIW, is that the "time honoured" method of draining the tanks, opening all taps with the pump off, and driving around for a while, is likely to be at least as effective, and much cheaper. Besides, vans need their monthly "walk" to keep them in good order through the winter. So, two birds with one stone?

I drain the water tank and the boiler with the taps open and thats it. Have had no problems to date and we had a very harsh winter last year. Been away in very cold weather also and used the water tank and waste tank just as normal and also had no probs.

I do the same as IPS, but also leave the water boiler valve open, then run the tap with the pump on for a few seconds. The hot water tank then seems to dump a bit more water out. The toilet flush does not seem to do anything though, if you see what I mean. :-D

Archived