Banner Energy Bull 180Ah - to vent or not?

arthur49

I considered golf buggy batteries in the following thread but after deliberating I thought I'd go for Energy Bull 180Ah as it will just fit.............I think!

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25309&posts=8

Spoke to Tayna before ordering re venting provision ........"none". Phoned Banner UK this morning "battery is centrally vented" What happens to the hydrogen gas given off during charging I asked "Don't know" was the answer but she went to ask.............Answer "could stick a vent tube into the side corrugation if I wanted........."

My conclusion - manufacturers, suppliers (and converters) play down the need for venting to an unsafe level. Energy Bull is not 'sealed' or 'maintenance free'.

Its not going to be easy to create a 'box' round battery which I could vent........or am I unduly concerned re venting? (Battery facility is behind drivers seat. Existing factory fitted Numax CXV27MF100Ah Sealed Leisure Battery is not enclosed completely nor is there venting through floor!)

Arthur

I have Banner Energy Bull 100Ah batteries to which I have fitted vent tubes. They are over a year old so the new ones may have a different design of vent, but on mine the vent hole is at one end. The problem is that it has what was described to me as a blow-back preventer which means that a 'standard' vent tube fitting can't be used. On request Banner supplied a special fitting for the vent hole.

Andy

You need to vent the batteries. Either a well ventilated box to the outside world or a vent tube. Probem with the banner 180 Ah is it may not be fitted with centralised venting so special caps have to be used with a string of tubes between them all. I do not know if the caps it comes with have fittings for vent tubes.

hindenburg.JPG.00cee2314f5b885b521a5f17572825da.JPG

Archived