Motorhome doormats - what's best?

Matrix Meanderer

Having just donated our outside door mat to an aire de service in Picardy (quick getaway!) I am looking round for a replacement mat. MH users seem to have such a variety of mats outside their doors so I am looking for advice on which mats perform best.

We have been putting ourt ex- mat on top of the black square 'jigsaw' mats which worked quite well but did not get all the mud off shoes. We usually leave shoes outside the MH and have separate indoor slippers (not least because Adria have thoughtfully provided cream coloured carpets inside).

So what do people recommend? Turtle mats? Ordinary door mat? Astro turf mat?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

A mat made of plastic outside the van ( so it can be hosed down) and a turtle mat inside the doorway.

In view of the terrible problems that Tracker has had ( see his post) with " wet, messy mats which have to be stored in bags" I would just add that we normally find that after rinsing the plastic mat under a tap we can just lay it on top of the turtle mat inside the van for travelling.

(simples)

;-)

Guest Tracker

In over 35 years of motorhoming we've never yet seen the need for an outdoor mat.

They get wet and messy and unless you leave them behind they need to be cleaned and/or put in a bag when wet and stored somewhere ready to get both yourself and itself messy all over again when next you want to use it.

We use a combination of newspaper on the floor sitting on an old towel to take off the worst mud and water with paper towels to clean shoes after the worst is off.

That way we don't get our socks or ourselves wet whilst the shoe or welly and waterpproofs removal ritual takes place.

The paper goes in the bin and the towels either hung in the loo to dry or washed if needed.

Better still go abroad for your holidays where it very rarely rains!

Works for us and is so simples!

Guest Tracker

In over 35 years of motorhoming we've never yet seen the need for an outdoor mat.

They get wet and messy and unless you leave them behind they need to be cleaned and/or put in a bag when wet and stored somewhere ready to get both yourself and itself messy all over again when next you want to use it.

We use a combination of newspaper on the floor sitting on an old towel to take off the worst mud and water with paper towels to clean shoes after the worst is off.

That way we don't get our socks or ourselves wet whilst the shoe or welly and waterpproofs removal ritual takes place.

The paper goes in the bin and the towel is either hung in the loo to dry or washed if needed.

Better still go abroad for your holidays where it very rarely rains!

Works for us and is so simples!

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2011-10-25 2:24 PM

We buy the samples from carpet dealers.

Our local guy sells them for charity at the staggeringly expensive price of 5p each. I give him double that of course.

Cheap enough to chuck every time you move on and reuse if it's dry too.

Martyn

So whenever we see an abandoned doormat sample on an Aire we will know it is not yours because you only use sites eh Martyn!

Anyone finding a used doormat sample on a campsite is therefore likely to be following in Martyns mucky footsteps!

Guest pelmetman

We have always used a rubber mat outside, when loading up to go we just pick up mat, turn it over so dirty side is now top side, by the time we get to next stop its dry and ready to put again.  Easy.

Sue

pepe63 - 2011-10-25 3:11 PM

If we're on a grass(muddy?)pitch,then we use one of these outside..

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/gardman-mudgard-mat-green

..and we just an ordinary "carpet" type mat inside...

We also use one of those. When we leave site if wet just put in the gas locker, if dry and clean , pop it in the loo, upside down , as the spikes can be a bit spiteful!!

PJay

Our Motorhome having the ubiquitous factor fitted carpet, we use a Astro turf type mat outside, takes the worse of anything off the feet, then in the door footwell I have cut to shape a a plastic backed coconut mat,one step up a rubber backed washable mat (Turtle mat), which is where we take our footwear off and if thay are mucky they are placed in a porpose positioned plastic bag, then slippers on.

pelmetman - 2011-10-25 2:56 PMWe have always used a rubber mat outside, when loading up to go we just pick up mat, turn it over so dirty side is now top side, by the time we get to next stop its dry and ready to put again.  Easy.

Sue
But, unfortunately, still at the last place you visited! :-DOr, if you do remember to take it with you, all the dirt from the top will have rattled into your shower tray - you do carry it in the shower tray, and not on the "lounge" carpet, don't you? :-D1 "AstroTurf" type doormat. Stays outside if ground gritty or wet. On departure, picked up, bashed on nearest tree to shake off loose stuff, and placed in plastic bin type bag, that goes in the boot (or "garage" if you want posh!). On arrival retrieved, and re-deployed.2 "Fitzwell" type coconut hair doormat (from carpet shops, sometimes B&Q, usually by the meter) cut to fit inside doorway. Other pieces cut to fit on the cab floor. It stays put and doesn't jam under the pedals, and it raises the cab floor by around 25mm, so reducing the effect of the overly high cab seats due to swivels.Not quite so easy, but it works a treat! (lol)

A prickly astro turf which is stored in the back locker we slide it under everything else, it doesnt seem to hold on to the dirt just a quick shake a bit of water on it soon dries. Oh and puppy pee pads are good for putting inside the door when its wet ou can stand on them while removing your shoes, they dont dissintergrate like newspaper, they are cheaper at the £ shop.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2011-10-25 8:39 PM
pelmetman - 2011-10-25 2:56 PMWe have always used a rubber mat outside, when loading up to go we just pick up mat, turn it over so dirty side is now top side, by the time we get to next stop its dry and ready to put again.  Easy.

Sue
But, unfortunately, still at the last place you visited! :-D
How did you know that Brian8-)..........Spooky...........not quite the last place we visited, but at least I know were it is;-).........and will retrieve it at Christmas:D

Dave 

all good replies, us we take em off at the door and stick em in the old morrissons bag.... put the slippers on job done.... next day bang em on the next doors van to clear the muck!!! (all tongue in cheek that comment) (lol) for you posh uns... sainsburys bags.... never get there myself :-S

jon

Matrix Meanderer - 2011-10-26 10:14 AM

Thanks to all for the helpful and entertaining advice.

Looks like a Turtle mat inside and a slab of astro turf outside for us.

I'll also chain the new outdoor mat to the garage door so that I cannot leave it behind again!

You can always add it to your 'check-list' before you leave a site - assuming you have a list.

( I started a list after I accidentally left my wife behind).

;-)

Guest Tracker

Many years ago when most vans had a rear entrance we twice drove off and left our step behind.

Fortunately one we returned for and it was still there and the second we replaced with one that someone else had left behind in a remote spot near Ullapool!

The cure was so simples - tie a nylon cord lanyard to the step and to the rear bumper and we never lost a step again!

There was one occasion when a following police car flagged us down to tell us that we were towing our step along the road and very kindly suggested that we might like to not let it happen again due to danger to other road users should it come adrift. What a nice man!

The step survived OK but is now 2" lower and needed a fresh coat of paint!!

Memories eh!!

Towing a doormat should at least clean it nicely but we have not yet tried that - has anyone else yet?

PJay - 2011-10-26 10:27 AM

You can always add it to your 'check-list' before you leave a site - assuming you have a list.

;-)

Are you still married Malc????

I'll ask.

malc d - 2011-10-26 2:54 PM

;-)

I'll ask.

You remember where you left her, then?

B-)

Robinhood - 2011-10-26 3:05 PM

malc d - 2011-10-26 2:54 PM

;-)

I'll ask.

You remember where you left her, then?

B-)

Yep.

She's in a little box on the dashboard, with a book of maps - to save me buying a Sat-Nav.

:-|

Archived