UNDERSLUNG GAS TANK

BENJIE

Hi,

Clive, I wonder if you can help me. I was looking in to changeing fro Gaslow refillable 2 x 6kg to an underslung tank, giving more capacity and the use of the gas locker for extra storage. Problem seems to be that because I am not very mobile I would not be able to easily access the on/off valve directly on the tank. This I think is a requirement for travelling on Ferries or the Chunnel due to safety procedures,understandably. Are you aware of any sort of remotely activated solenoid valve or any gismo that would get around this problem and satisfy the authorities?

cheers

derek

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think what I came across in September should be a warning both to anyone with one, or contemplating having one. A bloke with a 2008 reg van with under-slung twin gas tanks had one of the securing brackets give way as it had completely rusted through, he was lucky in so much that he told me he had only just pulled away when this happened, but instantly heard a bang and a scraping noise from under his van as the front of one of the tanks dropped to the ground .

A very worrying time as he could smell gas escaping, but could do little about it, whilst he waited for a recovery vehicle. He was subsequently taken to a garage, where not having any command of the language, he had to just leave it to them to it, how did I come to know this ? well I parked on an Aire and took a stroll, as I passed his van the smell was very strong, so concerned was I that I asked if he knew there was a very strong smell of gas, he then went on to tell me what had happened. After crawling under his van it was obvious they had done just a bodge job just to get him back on the road.

I urged him to turn of the isolating valves, and seek other assistance, his reply was that he was catching the ferry back the next day, but needed the gas on for the fridge ( well it takes all sorts ) so would get it done back in the UK. At that point I thought your on your own mate, and I left and moved my van as far away from his as possible, and kept my fingers crossed.

So in short I would urge everyone to check their brackets, and for new installations surely stainless steel brackets would be the way to go.

I can certainly recommend Autogas 2000 in Thirsk. I have had work undertaken there before and they are very good - reasonable too.

I am taking my van there at the end of October to have my underslung tank removed, undersealed (to protect the powder coating from stone chips then rusting) and, at the same time, replacing the powder coated steel straps with stainless steel ones.

We have been on the tunnel and ferries with the underslung tank and they were both satisfied with me turning off the isolation valve where the feed comes into the van.

david

ps should have added that if you speak to Chris at Autogas he will know if it is possible to install a remote shut off valve.

Hi David. I have just had mine taken off and sorted as you describe by Autogas 2000 on 18th October.

MTH had fitted it with the cradle on top, instead of it carrying the tank and the tank was suspended by the straps.

New brackets from chassis to hold the cradle, now straps only retain the tank on the cradle and do not support it. In the process they have been able to lift the tank higher as well.

In the process they found that the safety cut off valve in the tank was also faulty so they replaced it.

Great Job. We stayed overnight at The Dog and Gun two door away to let the rubber paint crust before driving any distance. Pitch with EHU £10 and great people and food in the pub.

derek pringle - 2011-10-26 10:46 AM

... I would not be able to easily access the on/off valve directly on the tank. This I think is a requirement for travelling on Ferries or the Chunnel due to safety procedures,understandably. Are you aware of any sort of remotely activated solenoid valve or any gismo that would get around this problem and satisfy the authorities?

Good point..

Although we don't have a refillable set up(yet!)..I'm always curious about how you go about "isolating" the tank..

Can a "remote" shut-off valve(be it manual or solenoid operated),which maybe up to several mtrs away from the tank,still really count as an "isloation" valve..? :-S

The cradle used to mount the tank is on most occasions mounted with the tank hanging on the steel straps. This is not that unusual and you will see many lorry fuel tanks held this way. I gave my instalation a good coat or two of white gloss house paint to keep rust at bay and this included the tank as stone chips quickly apear on the tank attacking the red paint. Hanging a rubber mud flap just in front of the tank is a good thing to do as this provides a stone barrier.

I do not know of any remote shut off valve that would satisfy the tunnel regs. This would need to be on the high pressure side and the only remote valve I am aware of is made by Truma and is for the low pressure side. So mount the tank so that you can access the manual shut off tap. Make a mechanical extension if necessary with the turning end just tucked behind the motorhome skirt.

None of it is rocket science if you are a good basic engineer, much more technology in a washing machine"". BUT it is gas so safety is paramount. If you do it yourself at least get it checked by a gas professional.

C.

Clive - 2011-10-28 5:11 PM

I do not know of any remote shut off valve that would satisfy the tunnel regs. This would need to be on the high pressure side and the only remote valve I am aware of is made by Truma and is for the low pressure side.

The main shut off valve for our fixed tank is difficult to access so I asked Truma about their GS8 remotely operated shut off valve, they told me that it was suitable for the high pressure side. However I must say that the published specs indicate differently.

Andy

In that case, if you intend to continue, write to them making plain what you want to do, and that their valve would be exposed beneath the vehicle, and ask them to confirm in writing whether the valve is suitable.

What someone says, and what they are prepared to put into writing, are sometimes a little different! :-)

Brian Kirby - 2011-10-29 5:37 PM

In that case, if you intend to continue, write to them making plain what you want to do, and that their valve would be exposed beneath the vehicle, and ask them to confirm in writing whether the valve is suitable.

What someone says, and what they are prepared to put into writing, are sometimes a little different! :-)

They did confirm by email that the valve was resin sealed and suitable for my proposed use, and that it would operate at 'bottle pressure'.

Andy

Clive,

Thanks for the reply,seems a no go unless you can get down to access the valve directly on the bottle then. By bringing it close to the skirt of the van would still leave things very awkward for me. One issue being I thought the idea of keeping controls away from van sides in case of side swipe in an accident was a great idea. Just thought that there must be something as a lot of people must be in the same position as myself.

again, thanks for the great advice

cheers

derek

"One issue being I thought the idea of keeping controls away from van sides in case of side swipe in an accident was a great idea. Just thought that there must be something as a lot of people must be in the same position as myself. "

Yes you are correct and this was a consideration that MTH Autogas (when they were trading) used to raise. It is the reason that when I fitted the bulk tank to our previous Autotrail Scout that all the fittings were on the inside. I made that short extension to the tank shut off valve so i did not have to remove the cover. I still had to lay alongside the van though and put my hand up to turn it.

The gas tank on our present van is professionally fitted and all the gubbins is on the outside of the tank under a cover which protrudes through the side skirt. I never saw it until it was finished!.

1169095178_Concordegastank.jpg.a2d02c8dc602addc24156a08e4cb27a9.jpg

Well

It was the main UK importer of the motorhome having got the kit from Germany. Its how they do it over there. Similarly the German vans do not have nor do their regulations require gas drops at potential gas leak points like ours do in the UK. So I drive carefully.

C.

Archived