How much to ship stuff to Canada?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

This is a work related question:D........and knowing the forum has people from all walks of life:D........Has anyone experience of shipping furniture abroad??.....I'm getting inquireys about sending stuff abroad, and the prices I've been quoted are a fortune8-)......We've just done a job for a customer who was moving back to France, and initially we didn't think I'd get it done before she moved, after getting quotes to ship across the ditch and falling through the floor8-) I pulled my finger out and got them done and delivered today:D

Now have possible order for an insurance company in Canada.......anyone know a reasonable price company for shipping furniture?   

pelmetman - 2011-10-25 7:27 PMThis is a work related question:D........and knowing the forum has people from all walks of life:D........Has anyone experience of shipping furniture abroad??.....I'm getting inquireys about sending stuff abroad, and the prices I've been quoted are a fortune8-)......We've just done a job for a customer who was moving back to France, and initially we didn't think I'd get it done before she moved, after getting quotes to ship across the ditch and falling through the floor8-) I pulled my finger out and got them done and delivered today:D

Now have possible order for an insurance company in Canada.......anyone know a reasonable price company for shipping furniture?   
If theres a bob or two to be made throw them in the back of my camper and I'll deliver them.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2011-10-25 8:31 PM If theres a bob or two to be made throw them in the back of my camper and I'll deliver them.
That was my default plan for the french job after DHL quoted £389 per parcel x 58-).......a 800 quid job costs nearly £1600 too send too France8-)

Dave, you need a good Freight Forwarder. Your in a good place for competition over there. Try looking for someone in the Immingham & Hull area. I can make some inquiries for you over in Manchester if you wish. Would need a couple of days to get best prices.

Would need size and quantity and weight.

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-10-25 8:44 PMDave, you need a good Freight Forwarder. Your in a good place for competition over there. Try looking for someone in the Immingham & Hull area. I can make some inquiries for you over in Manchester if you wish. Would need a couple of days to get best prices.Would need size and quantity and weight.Dave
Thanks Dave:D............Currently its not an definite order;-) as I put the delivery back in their court........But if the order does come off it would be for 16 parcels 24"x 17" x 16" weight about 10kg each:D 

Would be smarter to say put it all into one crate if poss and send as one item.

DHL 5 item's = 5 rip offs

One item = 1 rip off

Have you no mates doing a courtesy and goodwill call to Hamilton. (lol)

All sizes to be in metric now.

Friend off mine paid £1350 for a car to be shipped from Boston, Massachewsetts as Kenny would say.

Dave

Over here we have a man with a very large van that will take anything back to the UK and also bring anything back to France for £65 a cubic metre. He has just taken to the UK a Quad Bike for someone in Blackpool and brought back a guitar for someone in the Dordogne so the items vary considerably. His email address is vortextransport@orange.fr. We have no connection with Vortex Transport only as a satisfied customer.

Guest pelmetman
Thanks for that link:D.........I've saved it in case we get an enquiry from France..........I don't know how DHL justify such extortionate prices8-) 

I make it 680 quid to ship your 16 boxes to Canada with FedEx economy, if you double up the size of boxes (tape two together to make one so only 8 boxes) it works out at just 543 quid approx.

There may be cheaper logistic suppliers who will quote even cheaper. DHL 3 day if you have a contract could be much the same price or if you find the right Agent to arrange the shipping.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2011-10-26 7:15 PMI know nothing of this lot, they were they first just at the top of a "Google" on "freight uk - Canada". http://tinyurl.com/6ety3m4 However, on the face of it, much cheaper than you have found to date.
Thanks Brian:D........Just tried there online quote form and had quotes from £682 to £19008-)......In the mean time I've emailed them the "Bone idle Pelmetman option";-).......I grant them a one of licence to copy my designs, ie they use a local upholsterer to copy my designs and I get a royalty:D..........seems sensible to me.

Guest Tracker

Just a quick word of advice Dave.

When you are going to do a runner it's best not to advertise it to all and sundry - and specifically this dubious bunch of people (well mostly people although I have doubts about some!) on the forum at least!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-10-26 8:28 PMJust a quick word of advice Dave.When you are going to do a runner it's best not to advertise it to all and sundry - and specifically this dubious bunch of people (well mostly people although I have doubts about some!) on the forum at least!
It's alright Rich we wont be doing a "runner", as our van is not fast enough:D but we hope to do a "slower"by 2013 or earlierB-) 

Archived