Poor radio reception - whole stole the ariel?

graemepd

ips - 2011-11-03 11:35 AM

Hi

I have no probs with the ford radio fitted and we have a jack plug thing in the glove box to plug mrs ips netbook and dvd player into for more volume. It isnt as good as the sony DAB fitted to my Ford Kuga but it does the job ...... well it would if the reception was better. Will defo have a look at connection etc as advised.

Thanks

Just a thought.

At a m/h Dealers today having a bike rack fitted so whilst waiting took a wander round to view the vans on sale and noticed a few on the Transit chassis.......and each had the aerial mount on the n/s door mirror like yours.

The aerial base mount and mast is a bog standard Ford which are fitted on the Focus, Ka, Mondeo etc.......in other words, plentiful! I have a Focus car and the aerial works fine. Easily pick one up from your local scrapper for a couple of quid.

As its mounted in the plastic housing of the mirror it's also worth checking it's properly earthed because if it isn't, you won't get a decent signal.

• 2 years later...

Just jumping in this a bit later.... I've recently purchased a Bailey Approach Autograph 745 with what has previously been described here as poor radio reception. This has been back to the dealers this last week and they 'checked' the radio inside their workshop and managed to pick up all the local radio stations, just not the obscure ones!!! I take it they meant Radio 1,2,3,4.... etc. as I also can't pick these up outside my house or on the move.

So, I have been back now for a couple of days and the curiosity has got the better of me and so I have tried a simple test that they could have done but quite clearly didn't. I removed the aerial by unscrewing it completely and guess what? The radio sounded no different to when the aerial was connected. This tells me that the connection to the aerial isn't made properly. So what now? Do I call them again and risk another 160 mile round trip? Do I call Peugeot (a 60 mile round trip)and get them to sort it? Or purchase one of these electronic, stick to the windscreen aerials as advertised on ebay for under £4 and fit this myself?

I changed the 'Media unit' fitted in my van and put in a JVC Dab+ unit :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KW-DB60AT-Double-Stereo-Built/dp/B007K5XTUQ

it came with a 'windscreen stick on' aerial, which i didn't think looked very promising. But after fitting the radio and the aerial I am very Impressed with the performance of both of them.

So don't dismiss a stick on Dab aerial, it might suprise you. And is less vulnerable than wing/ mirror mounted ones. Windscreen mounted Dab aerials have a built in 'powered' booster (mine did anyway).

Ray

Hi Folks,

We bought a 2012 Autotrail, Fiat Ducato chassis, last month. When we left the dealer's site the radio reception started to fade - it had been alright on the dealer's site and when we tried it during the (10 mile) test drive. On most of the 150+ mile drive home reception was non-existent however occasionally in parts it was perfect.

I should say we have suspicions that the head unit had been changed shortly before we collected the van.

At home the reception was very poor, suspecting the aerial which I believe is in the LH door mirror like the Peugeot's, I pulled the head unit out and tried a "test aerial" (metal coat hanger) - reception was significantly better. Checking the lead from the aerial I found that the center pin of the connector at the radio end was plastic! I don't know if it had been manufactured this way or if there was originally a metal coating on the pin and it had been damaged when/if the head unit was changed.

I obtained a replacement connector from a local car accessory shop for just over £1 and fitted it - this involved cutting the existing connector off and stripping the cable as per the guidelines in the diagram supplied and fitting the connector (push fit - no soldering) level of difficulty about the same as fitting a 13 amp domestic plug. Since then we've been away twice, driven about 700 miles and the radio has worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Hi I have a Boxer based A class and the raido was rubbish so I replaced it with a DAB raido and an extending ariel that sticks to the outside of the windscreen with a receiver on the inside. We lost the signal in some of the scottish glens but most of the time it was fine.The raido has a usb port so ipod or phone can be played and charged at any time.

Regards David

Halfords do a neat windscreen Ariel with built in booster (and its cheap)just fitted one in my caravan in the drinks cabinet UPC roof and reception is very good just make sure you connect the earth screen to the radio case I use the electric Ariel connection to power it so when the radio is off so is the booster. John. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same problem with our 2009 Ducato.The original is just a wire in the passanger door mirror.

So I have fitted an external rubber duck (Aerial ) on the nearside wing panel the coax cable then runs down the engine bay , this is extended with an extention cable (3m) from Amazon (£3:00 approx)

This then enters the cab area via the battery box in the cab floor, then back up through the dash.

Good Radio reception in rural areas at last !

we bought our first motorhome new in 2008 on fiat ducato base, and right from the off we had very poor reception on the radio, after some months of putting up with this we returned to the dealer, who upon inspection found that no ariel had ever been fitted,( BIT OF A SHOCK ) the dealer was indeed very embarrassed by this and acted immediately, and an ariel was installed on the metal frame just to the right hand side of the windscreen and this had a clip at the top to hold in place, ,problem solved, so you guys wouldn't have the same problem would you, would you, !!!!!! not sure if it was the dealer or manufacturer who missed this when installing the blaupunkt radio, camera and sat nav

we bought our first motorhome new in 2008 on fiat ducato base, and right from the off we had very poor reception on the radio, after some months of putting up with this we returned to the dealer, who upon inspection found that no ariel had ever been fitted,( BIT OF A SHOCK ) the dealer was indeed very embarrassed by this and acted immediately, and an ariel was installed on the metal frame just to the right hand side of the windscreen and this had a clip at the top to hold in place, ,problem solved, so you guys wouldn't have the same problem would you, would you, !!!!!! not sure if it was the dealer or manufacturer who missed this when installing the blaupunkt radio, camera and sat nav

on our duetto the aerial is at the front high up near the roof. It slowly unscrews itself i presume in high winds. Each time by luck it has fallen in front of the windscreen and lay in the bay where the windscreenwipers rest. Tempted to super glue it in.

We now only put it back when parked up.

Archived