Site near London

Geoff Tuckley

Newtonside orchard in old windsor.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=9542

Its a pleasant 1/2 hr walk into windsor and train from windsor to I think paddington is 20mins or so.

Nice enough site allthough its on the heathrow flight path but you dont notice it after a while and no flights at night 1st ones about 6am. Some good local pubs / takeaways etc oh and you must visit windsor farm shop about 10mins walk form site. other than that I think you are looking at the two CC sites cant remember there names but i think they are prob similar distance so train needed wherever you stay. windsor at night is great some lovel;y cafe / bars / restaurants particularily the ones under cover in the old railway station "Bar one" being really good for cocktails and nice food. hope thats of help.

PS-ignore the reviews from pre may I think the issies have been resolved as no probs at all with the facilities when we were there 6 weeks ago.

The question has been asked (recently) before, and there were a number of suggestions.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19462&posts=8

I would still stand by Abbey Wood, which I've used several times for similar purposes, with regular transport that allows late evenings (or even early mornings!) in London, and has numerous routes into cental London with a reasonably-priced day travelcard (£7.30 I think) that covers rail, buses, tube, DLR, etc.

Check for LEZ compliance, however.

Crystal Palace Caravan Club site.

Abbey wood Caravan Club site. both open to non members, super sites , easy access to central London from Crystal Palace by bus which stops outside , Abbey Wood is our favourite, train station 10 minute walk away , get a ticket that covers the railway, buses , underground and Docklands light railway ,great way to get around, but you MUST be aware of the London Emission Zone be sure your vehicle complies BEFORE you go as it can cost a lot of money if it doesn't.

Oooh last post on the other thread puts me off Abbey wood a bit "electric fence" and talk of "Dubious walk" etc. Dont like the sound of that, whereas Winsdor is a very classy place with no probs that I know of day or night. daughter lives and works there and doesnt report any probs when they go out at night. And still only a short train ride to london.

We always stay at the CCC Crystal Palace site which is open until Jan 12th. The bus stop is not directly outside the site but is less than 10 minutes walk. The no3 bus will take you directly to Westminster, Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus and terminates at Oxford Circus in about 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on time of day and traffic). If you have bus passes you may use them - if not the nearby newsagent sells day tickets which you can buy in advance and have stamped for the day you wish to use them. You may also get off the bus at Brixton and catch the Victoria Line tube - the station is opposite the bus stop. The no3 runs between every 4 and every 12 minutes throughout the day (and into the night).

ips - 2011-10-26 2:10 PM

Oooh last post on the other thread puts me off Abbey wood a bit "electric fence" and talk of "Dubious walk" etc. Dont like the sound of that, whereas Winsdor is a very classy place with no probs that I know of day or night. daughter lives and works there and doesnt report any probs when they go out at night. And still only a short train ride to london.

.....a bit overplayed, I think. :-S (The site does have an electric fence, but is hardly Stalag Luft Thamesmead - I think it is largely dictated by the topography of the site, and the fact that much of it is wooded and on different levels, hence it is simply the easiest way to secure it).

The walk from the station to the site is approx 600yds, and largely residential streets, so I really can't identify with the "dubious" comment. (The walk from the bus is less than half that!). For anyone who finds it "dubious", being anywhere in London in the evening is going to be challenging ;-).

I will admit that the immediate surrounds lack decent pubs or evening entertainment (frankly, Greenwich on the bus is the best option), but if you want to spend your time in London, and have the option of returning to site as late as you wish, then that is of little consequence.

Abbey Wood is fine, short walk to station straight into town.

Maybe Wyatts Covert in Denham, approx 1 mile to Mainline to Marlybone.

We regularly stay at both of these sites in winter months just to get out in the motorhome for

a few days.

We actually live in London.

Andy & Clare

Guest JudgeMental
crystal palace ( about 2 miles from us) the Crystal palace triangle is within walking distance and full of decent restaurants etc... Just what you need after a hard day in London.......

ips - 2011-10-26 2:10 PM

There is an electrified fence around Abbey Wood site , I don't know why as we never experienced any problems whilst there and the walk to the station is fine, we have done it at all different times of day and night, again no problems, We were not too keen on the bus ride from and to the site at Crystal Palace as often the bus was full of black youths who were very noisy, sometimes drunk and sometimes under the influence of other substances or so it appeared to us. they never actually caused us any problems but my wife did feel a bit intimidated so we started to use Abbey Wood and prefered the journey into Central London more, main reason I guess was that on the train if there ever was any problems, one could at least move away and into another carriage unlike a bus where one is more contained. We are not nervous people but do prefer to avoid trouble where possible.

Guest JudgeMental
Please ignore the pig ignorant daily mail reader above...... The Crystal Palace area is fine, and also the Brixton area which you will pass through on the bus (Shock! HORROR!!). :-D

JudgeMental - 2011-10-26 6:52 PM

The Crystal Palace area is fine:-D

........................but, unfortunately for us Eddie, it is fully booked!

We have an appt in London on Sat 3rd December and wanted to arrive on the Friday as we need to be at the appt in the morning. Oh dear booked, never mind...............

Then looked at their diary and ALL of January, February and half of March (1 type of pitch) are already full.

I wonder if there is some refurbishment going on and some pitches are closed or it is just REALLY popular?

I suspect the latter.

Rgds,

bolero boy - 2011-10-26 8:01 PM

Then looked at their diary and ALL of January, February and half of March (1 type of pitch) are already full.

I wonder if there is some refurbishment going on and some pitches are closed or it is just REALLY popular?

...as referred to further up the thread, Crystal Palace closed from 2nd Jan (to Mid March).

But Stalag Luft Thamesmead (sorry, Abbey Wood) appears to have space on night of 2/12 (if you're man enough (lol) )

JudgeMental - 2011-10-26 6:52 PM The Crystal Palace area is fine:-D
........................but, unfortunately for us Eddie, it is fully booked! We have an appt in London on Sat 3rd December and wanted to arrive on the Friday as we need to be at the appt in the morning. Oh dear booked, never mind............... Then looked at their diary and ALL of January, February and half of March (1 type of pitch) are already full. I wonder if there is some refurbishment going on and some pitches are closed or it is just REALLY popular? I suspect the latter. Rgds,

It's always worth phoning the site direct though. Sometimes the computer booking says no... and there are pitches available.  

vindiboy - 2011-10-26 5:39 PM

There is an electrified fence around Abbey Wood site , I don't know why as we never experienced any problems whilst there and the walk to the station is fine, we have done it at all different times of day and night, again no problems,

My understanding is that its there to protect the storage facility rather than the campsite.

David

Robinhood - 2011-10-26 8:14 PM

...as referred to further up the thread, Crystal Palace closed from 2nd Jan (to Mid March).

Robin, thanks for this, but you are going to have to help me as I can't find your reference to the closure in this thread or the linked one further up.

All I can find is this from Mel Wood - 'We always stay at the CCC Crystal Palace site which is open until Jan 12th'.

Of course, I am due an eyesight test................

Rgds,

caravan club sites book states, Abbey wood open all year. Crystal palace states opening dates 18th March-02Jan12 . I have had no problems at either site but do check your route Crystal palace is within the London LEZ zone by half a mile check you are ok at www.tfl.gov.uk/lezlondon

bolero boy - 2011-10-27 11:03 AM

Robinhood - 2011-10-26 8:14 PM

Robin, thanks for this, but you are going to have to help me as I can't find your reference to the closure in this thread or the linked one further up.

All I can find is this from Mel Wood - 'We always stay at the CCC Crystal Palace site which is open until Jan 12th'.

Of course, I am due an eyesight test................

Rgds,

Sorry, my post should have read

...as referred to further up the thread, Crystal Palace IS closed from 2nd Jan (to Mid March).

I was referring to Mel's post (though I also realised he'd got the slightly wrong date).

We have stayed at Chertsey a couple of times. Its a nice site with a friendly warden right on the river. Not sure about train access though as we stayed in Chertsey and didn't go any further. Its open all year round but hard standings only in winter which need to be booked as it was always busy when we went. And it sites outside the LEZ area so no need to worry about your emissions unless, of course, you drive through London to get there.

Hi

Do you need Full services? If not there are several C-L C-S sites OUTSIDE the LEZ (dont get me started on that one!!! My Diesel Yank Bus is banned) Chertsey is a nice site (CCC) but the station is a good 20+min walk.

Walton on Thames is only a couple on hundred yards form the station but closed from Oct 30th

Aside from That Willow tree farm Hersham;;;;Lossie Nursery an Langley Park :::Home cottage Farm @ Iver. I guess a good google will show if they have stations close?

pete

Archived