DIY ... what have you done to your van?

Mel B

As I do bits and pieces to our vans to make them more suitable for our requirements, it makes me wonder what changes others do to their van, so I thought I'd start this thread for people to post on. :-D

I'd appreciate it if this was kept as such and not turned into a "ooooo ... you don't want to do that" criticism type thread please. :D

So come on, let's be having details of your own projects ... who's going to be first ....

Guest Tracker

I built a locker in the loo between the toilet and the rear wall to take our folding chairs.

I fitted two small cup shelves (small shelves - not small cup - in case you were about to ask!) above each side of the bed.

I made a lift off box (with shelf on top) to hide the TV which sits on the top of the table housing cupboard by the door.

I fitted underlay and carpet throughout for warm tootsies.

Extra shelves in the bathroom cabinet at just the right spacing for the stuff we want to put in it.

Solar panel and regulator

Second battery

Lowered height seat boxes as the cab seats were too high with swivels

Appropriate height shelves in some of the overhead lockers.

And what else................ let me think now!!

Oh yes - a rear bumper - although I only fitted it someone else made it!

And an inverter!

The only thing I've done to mine is make a false bottom for a locker. I've stained it to match the rest of the locker and use it when abroad to keep my passport, vehicle documents and some cash hidden.

With all this gassing of sleeping campers malarky going on, one can't be too careful !

Guest 1footinthegrave

I must confess very few things, apart from a 2000 watt inverter, and extra lighting in dark cupboards, whilst converting all 16 existing ones to LEDs.( yes IH like their lights) But to be honest I never cease to be amazed at some of the astonishing bodge jobs we have seen when looking at others at dealers with a view to eventually replacing our van. Just love to see things like cheap screw in cup hooks ,bits of scrap wood as additional shelving, one we looked at recently even had ceramic tiles complete with grout behind the sink, not sure how good an idea that is, or how long before they fell off !

I would like to put in a flip down TV mount, , and a roof mounted sat dish, but I'm terrified of drilling holes anywhere never mind the roof, !

I fitted 2 extra mains sockets, after finding 'exact' matching ones on E-Bay, 1 in the kitchen area, 1 in the front of the bed box nr the cab (ideal for charging up phones/camera batteries.) (and yes i did get the finished job checked over by an electrician, my brother !).Ray ;-)

Nearly forgot, fitted a Stainless steel gas pipe in the locker with a 'knob' ,so no spanner needed to change cylinders, and a 500litre Back-Box onto the rear Bike carrier.

And did '20 minute' cut-off fix to CD/radio. nothing else planned .....yet.

Guest pelmetman

Considering how old our van is we have done very little to it.

One of the best things has to be the electric fire that my Dad put in when it belonged to him, it is the type that can go in an airing cupboard safely (low voltage).  Its great to take the chill off and is situated under the dining table.

Looking back we had the curtains lined and shortened (they were too long).  Made a lined curtain to pull across to separate the cab from living part. 

We had a new mattress and Dave made a headboard and kickboard that looks neat and gives extra warmth.

Lately Dave has made a shelf that fits under the overcab bed.  Also made a cabinet to house the laptop and all the other numerous gadgets.

Added extra shelving inside cupboards.  Put in extra electric sockets, there are never enough! 

Made us a notice board that is really handy for bits and pieces and oh yes very handy hooks to hang our clothes on when we go to bed.

Plus fitted several more shelves, new telly, turned the dinette into a U shape.

Sue 

I’ve done or had done some extensive mods to our Autocruise Sportstar.

Grab Handles added around the Van (Habitation entrance - internal, Washroom/Toilet)

Coat/hat hooks on side partition behind Cab Seats

Towel Rail under Washroom Locker

Garage Strip Lights – originally mounted almost down at Floor level, moved above Garage Doors.

Intermediate shelves fitted in overhead lockers (x 5)

Relocated Step Ladder fixings for over Garage Bed

Fitted Swivel Leg Table behind Passenger seat (similar to yours, but smaller).

Removed Curtain which screened off our Bed over the Garage. (more of an hindrance than use)

Additional load securing points in Garage.

Fiamma Grab Handle to Habitation Door (external)

Wheelchair Restraint Rails & Clamps in Garage

We had an extended version of the Autochair Milford Person Lift fitted on passenger side footwell.

http://www.autochair.co.uk/store/person-hoists-and-transfer-into-vehicles/milford-person-lift

Recently had major mods which has vastly improved access to Washroom Door for my wife.

Originally the Door opened towards us, door turned round to open away (towards rear of Van) & also the fixed panel made into a half Door, resulting in the whole of the Washroom front opening. This also required modification to the Washroom Locker

Work done by Coachbuilt GB @ Nuneaton, who we can highly recommend. Great job, more improvement than we anticipated & all finishes completely match the original.

http://www.coachbuiltgb.co.uk/

Next week having Towbar fitted & then a bespoke trailer (more of which when we take delivery in January) for my wife’s Electric Wheelchair.

A) I made & fitted full width curtains just behind the cab seat. The cab heater is useless to heat the whole van, so with just 2 of us, these cut the volume down ( & have heater on re-cycle air setting) Used when driving in winter - cab now toasty!

B) I fitted shelves into the back part of the wardrobe

C) I fitted a rope stay to the garage door to stop it smashing the 240V electric plug

D) I adapted the lounge area bed from a double to a single.

E) I adapted the table from a collapsing effort to a folding effort which now lives suspended under the bed in the garage due to a system of ropes & pulleys ( ex Merlin Rocket sailing Dinghy)

F) I adapted some voids for use as safes.

G) I threw out the ladder to the over-garage double bed - installed hollow steps - carpetted - which now store beer & wine boxes & other less important stuff!

More on the horizon - extra electric points, LED lights, 125 cc Mcycle in garage, etc etc

In the past nearly-three years of owning our present, venerable, old-dog of a 1992 Aryal Autostar A-Class motorhome (on a Peugeot J5, 2.5 turbo diesel base), we've fettled quite a bit -

Done myself:

Fitted additional twin-coil springs to rear suspension.

Replaced rear brake shoes, front brake pads, and brake fluid, and gearbox oil.

Modified air intake.

Replaced turbo air supply tubing.

Added 2 more mains plug sockets.

Added 2nd leisure battery.

Added clothes lines, inside and out side.

Changed all internal light bulbs for LED's.

All oil and filter changes, and air filter changes.

Repaired vehicle heater matrix and fan.

Repainted front an rear bumpers/valences.

Installed eternal courtesy light.

Installed electric fan heater.

Installed isolation switch for leisure batteries.

Additional piping/holder points for shower hose/nozzle.

Two additional shelves in bathroom.

Two additional fold-down shelves in lounge and bedroom.

Two small static shelves in bedroom.

Installed load separators in boot.

Designed made and fitted replacement, larger, sun visors.

Installed cab curtain track and custom made curtains (courtesy of Kathy and her sewing machine).

Fitted lighting inside overhead cupboards in bedroom.

Re-sealed roof joints.

Added u-shaped drip strip to side of MH above habitation door.

Added extra “fish-eye” side mirrors below the ordinary ones.

Added security bar closures on inside of both doors.

Added key operated security door cover/bolt thingies to outside of both doors.

Replaced vehicle battery.

Replaced starter motor.

Changed gas regulator and flexible pipework.

Changed routing of blown-air heating in bedroom to improve flow, plus give Kathy the ability to dry her hair using an attachment to it if we are not on EHU.

Fitted better closure fitment to fridge.

Sealed all airgaps behind fridge.

Fitted “lambstails” anti-mosquito habitation door curtain.

Fitted 5 shelves inside slim part of wardrobe.

Added additional TV aerial socket in lounge.

Amended a redundant “hole” under the floor of the MH to become a large, secure secret stash for valuables.

Repaired air-pump lumbar support for drivers seat (which was broken when we bought the vehicle).

Repaired heater fan motor switch (which was non-working when we bought the MH)

Added custom fitting drain-through duckboards in bathroom.

Removed rear ladder to roof (never used it, and it was in the way of where I wanted the scooter rack to be).

Two additional, fitted, lounge wall foam cushions (made, and covered, by Kathy).

Coathooks in bathroom (2) and bedroom (3).

Had done by others:

Big, roof-mounted solar panel, plus all the electrickery gubbins so that it charges both leisure and vehicle batteries.

Rear scooter rack and additional lighting bar.

Two further mains plug sockets.

Digital TV aerial and signal booster.

Reversing camera.

New tyres all round.

Two more 12 volt sockets, one at either side of the dashboard.

pelmetman - 2011-10-26 9:18 PM

Considering how old our van is we have done very little to it>

I'm not surprised, why bother, it's british. (lol) (lol)

Only joking Malc. No need to improve on perfection. :D

Not had it long enough yet to spot any deficiencies, but have fitted 1100 watt inverter for wifes hairdryer, had towbar fitted and A frame for car. Have to be very carefull about what I do in there as SWMBO is very fussy about the aesthetics inside the van to the point of obsession. Although I'm the one who has to do all the cleaning and polishing etc. :D Will have to have a think about things I can do to improve on it, all in the best possible taste, obviously. :D

Guest JudgeMental

Our Adria is tricked out Californian/Mexican sty-lee? wit all d wheels and suspension gismo's....

BIG double bed for d ladiessssss.......u git me!

Most important had the gross weight lifted from 3300kg to 3500kg nothing physical just a paper exersise ,but well worth it. Fitted a chrome rail in the wardrobe in front of the charger / consumer unit to stop the clothes draping over the unit cooling vents to prevent overheating . Shortened the awning winding handle by 6" so it easily fits into the locker opening to the locker above the cab area . Fitted a shelf above the fitted safe to offer up more storage area . From the Peterborough show we bought a black custom made carpet for the cab area more servicable than light fawn , and a pair of nice sheepskin lookalight cab seat covers .

fitted....

reversing camera

invertor

extra leasure battery

s/s exhaust end bit thingy

blown air outlet in garage

strap to garage door to stop door hitting side of van

various shelfs and clips to hold various things in garage

some things on garage floor for scooter to locate in and tie strapped down

blue neon lighting under the step

awning light

towel rail holder over sink

headlined front locker

light in front locker

blown air diverter on outlet in shower room

additional 13a plug

curtain to partition front dinette (when daughter came with us)

curtain to partition rear transverse bed (when mrs ips retires early and I still have drink left in bottle)

Reduced height of gas locker to give more ground clearance (after ripping the bottom off on first outing)

Modified metal bracket holding waste drain tap to give more ground clearance.

Modified waste drain pipe so it swivels down to empty & clips up out the way, you guessed - to give more ground clearance.

Fitted an RCD.

Fitted additional Mains & 12V sockets.

Fitted led strip reading lights to sides of cab.

Fitted rear view camera.

Fitted solar panel.

Fitted additional heating outlet under bed to keep condensation off aluminium frame of locker door.

I'll only do mods provided I can make the look like original equipment I take a lot of time with wiring following original wiring routes through the van even if it does mean a couple of days work and removing & replacing furniture.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Still waiting for this answer in reply to the question posed.

what have you done to your van?

Inadvertently wiped thousands off it's trade in value LOL :D :D

Well,initially I didn't think we'd done anything really..

but thinking about it,it's suprising just how much fettlin' you actually do...

2x mains sockets

2x 12v("cigar lighter")sockets..1-leisure battery..1-vehicle battery(Both handy for solar charger inputs)

External tv aerial socket(small household surface mounted type,located under wheelarch).

Dunlop air assistors (on rear).

Rear bumper/towbar(Towtal)

..and not forgetting the usual,linning out of the cupboards(to reduce rattles),and the use of telescopic curtain rods as "load retainers"(.. to stop stuff fally in your lap!)...

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-27 12:29 PM

Oh!?...you mean. I should've steered clear of that bl**dy great *eagle/wollf/Indian chief mural on the back?.... (lol) (lol)

(*delate as applicable!)

Added new LED awning.light as the single bulb one lasted two hours

Stainless steel step plates in cab entrance,

Reversing sensors and camera.

12/240v habitation air con/heating.

Trackvision sat dome

spare wheel and carrier.

extra 240v sockets but should have had extre 12v as well but will do later.

extra 95aph battery.

curtain around fixed bed and across rear of cab seats

3.5 mt Fiama zip awning.

Fiama cycle carrier.

Two covers for gas and fridge vents

I would like a better mattress for fixed bed as not as cumfy as one at home

And I still have a good payload not much more that I can do But I am sure that I will think of something

Looking at most of the posts the accessory shops are having a field day and they say there is a reccession on

Flipping heck ... gets you thinking doesn't it! Reading some of your stuff has reminded me of some of the things we’ve done/had done:

Done by others:

The chap at the dealers moved our leisure battery and solar panel from Rimor to new van, and also put on the bike rack I’d bought and taken with me. They also put on a Status directional aerial as part of the purchase deal.

Air-Ride air suspension assistance put on rear and a Fiamma wind-out awning (at Peterborough).

Alarm system

We’ve done:

Washroom:

Moved towel rail lower and put in a 4-bar closable clothes rail above it (ex-Rapido), put up rail of hooks, fitted mini soap dispenser, relocated toilet roll holder to sensible place as it was towards the rear of the toilet! Packed out shower enclosure studs which the securing straps press onto as they were forever coming undone when the side of the screen hit them. Replaced blown air outlet for one with a flap to save getting a burnt thigh!

Bedroom area:

2 wire racks/shelves for mugs, glasses etc, nets for magazines, Velcroed my slim style alarm clock under cupboard so I can see it when I’m laid down! Installed TV double arm bracket and securing points for TV, 12v power source and second aerial lead.

Front :

Light in front locker

Installed additional coat hooks

Secured awning winding handle in clips next to door

Stuck on a 6” square mirror near doorway

Put up kitchen roll holder

Secured tea/coffee/sugar containers, which came with their own ‘shelf’

Replaced original table with swivel leg type and new circular top

Made large removable work surface/shelf to go over steps up to rear bed

Made matching flip down shelf/surface next to dinette

Made removable extension flap to go at side of cooker

Put hooks on inside of wardrobe door to store removable extension flap and dish drainer

Garage:

Put in various hook/loop points, straps etc to secure stuff with/to including those for the spare wheel

Fitted large pocketed holdall from a suitcase on inside of large garage door to store lightweight stuff

Outside:

Awning light & new door retaining clips (twice!)

Hose onto fresh water drain tap

Fixed Gaslow bracket etc when it was moved from previous van to the new one

Straps to secure waterproof box under bonnet to hold tools - easy to get at/out of the way

Put headlight protectors on

Wind deflectors on cab door windows

Small rack in gas locker for hose and gas bits

General:

Installed reversing camera and screen

Put removable plastic coated wire racks in cupboards (so they can be moved if needed)

Made velour removable covers for all of the seating

Replace existing bulbs for LED ones where necessary

I use removable ‘clip on’ chrome rails where possible

Fitted removable rubber backed mats

Secured washroom ‘wall’ as a screw had been ‘missed’ when it was built!

There are probably some other bits I can’t remember at the moment!

Still to do:

Fit TV bracket in the lounge area so we can move the TV from over the bed and watch it there if we want (just need to get a couple of the ‘clip off’ bracket adaptors).

Put edging strip on ‘new’ dinette table once I’m happy with the size!

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-27 12:29 PM

Maybe ... if YOU did it! (lol) (lol) (lol) :D :D :D ;-)

Archived