DIY ... what have you done to your van?

Mel B

Only done a few jobs on the Hymer so far, mainly repairs, but thought you may be interested in how it all began for us. Our first experience of camping was in a converted people carrier which I did myself. Loved it so much, decided to move up a few steps up the ladder. See some snaps I took of project here: http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/pcspike/van%20conversion/ It was all great fun. Just click 'Slideshow' on the page.

..just remembered another,rather strange "mod" I carried out...

The bottom track of the tambour door to the loo was very fragile,with it being just a brittle plastic section(..creaking and flexing if you stood on it)..so I took it off and(..now this is the strange bit!)filled the hollow underside with isopon body filler...making it a solid section. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Robinhood - 2011-10-27 7:25 PM

LordThornber - 2011-10-27 7:14 PM

I put a piece of polystyrene in the drinks cabinet to stop the glasses rattling.

Err, that's it

Martyn

.....not to stop the flasks banging together, then?

;-)

Priceless

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2011-10-27 7:00 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-27 12:29 PM

Still waiting for this answer in reply to the question posed.

what have you done to your van?

Inadvertently wiped thousands off it's trade in value LOL :D :D

Maybe ... if YOU did it! (lol) (lol) (lol) :D :D :D ;-)

Just goes to show you know nothing, I've actually added thousands to the value as I have meticulously hand painted mine with Hammerite to stop it going rusty.

Hi, Not strictly DIY , but had Cruise control, bike rack and reversing camera fitted from new,

Later addition was Camos Crankup dish for tv, done professionally again.

True diy, fitted a battery powered Alarm similar to shed alarm

and a towel rail in the shower room.

also a few tweaks to acces voids to hide passports etc

minor mods to leisure power to provide 12 volts for ham radio gear, and a bracket to carry the mobile whip on nearside wing mirror

Changed reading lights for led versions to save power. Obtained freestanding 40 watt solar panel to aid battery, this is freestanding on the roof when parked up and lead run down via rooflight to charging point.

thats about it.

Tonyg3nwl

1footinthegrave - 2011-10-27 12:29 PM

Still waiting for this answer in reply to the question posed.

what have you done to your van?

Inadvertently wiped thousands off it's trade in value LOL :D :D

In a lot of cases this is undeniably true. That's why I don't go in for personalising it too much. One mans idea of good taste is anothers nightmare.

Put sheepskins on the cab seats and had air suspension fitted. Oh and fitted glass holders each side of the bed so have somewhere to drop our teeth in at night. :D

I must say I admire BGD and the work he has put into refurbishing his older motorhome. Shortage of funds does concentrate the mind, as we remember what we have tackled when we were young and energetic.

This is our list

Brian

Fitted Nature Pure filter and soap dispenser (type that goes in counter) which necessitated removing sink.

Removed plate underneath M/H to give access to tank/water hose which is filled in gas locker door. The hose was too short and the door had to be held open. New hose supplied by manufacturer in Italy but still shorter than we like. A lot of laying on his back for a 70+.

Fitted bracket for TV backed by a stainless steel plate made by a friend to wall of shower room..

Fitted replacement LED lights supplied by manufacturer as several of original ones failed! This was a lot of work as fitted under drop down bed and spacers - 4" across had to be made as the replacements were deeper. Whilst he was at he also rerouted some of the wiring to a safer position.

Traced and linked up cables provided for TV points and also put in a switch as we had 2 TV points.

He turned around outlet sockets for mains in the frame as the cables were then not being bent so much.

Last year he fitted an additional mains outlet and we both wished it had been done sooner.

Fitted a long screw thread rod to a small locker door in shower rm. The pins that should have held the door in place kept falling out together with contents of locker.

Joyce

fitted Fiamma soap dispenser to mirror in shower rm.

fitted old radiator towel rail to very high level shelf in shower rm, great for socks and smalls.

made cover for mattress on drop down bed from sheeting as chenille fabric made sleeping bags walk.

Fitted offcut of vinyl backed carpet meant for possible wet environment to whole of floor making a paper pattern first. Very mixed speckle in grey base - still pleased with it. A neighbour cut 1/2" off bottom of curved door to boiler room cupboard to give clearance.

Stuck down door mat on carpet with industrial double sided tape.

Stuck grey carpet on rungs of aluminium ladder with above tape - have not moved in 5 years.

Cut down and remade Fiamma side panels for wind out awning. We now have a 2.3m awning.

Cut down and remade Fiamma sun viewer screen.

Made covers for FASP seating in dinette from leather purchased from eB*y - 4 hides with holes in them.

Bought a stiff Fiamma shade for windscreen for a Ford vehicle in Holland. Cut this down to fit and restitched binding.

Made shades for cab side windows from car shades and added suckers. Let in light.

Made shade for dinette window to cover open window when in hot climate. Also from car shade..

Made shade for shower rm window from spare sun viewer screen. Able to look out of window.

All permanent alterations to look as if they are original as we are proud of our handiwork.

Joyce

This being our third Motorhome in as many years we shopped around to get the layout we wanted along with the internal fitments we also wanted, our Present M/H is as near to the ideal that we wanted, that said I fitted a twin cylinder gaslow system,stood on Rubber mat,s (large holed) had Cruise control fitted by main Merc agent turned out cheaper than after market fitment , I fitted twin 110amp/h leisure batteries,bought and fitted Halfords plug in Battery charger which is connected to engine battery so can charge separately when on hook up, Headlamp protectors mainly to fit headlight deflectors to for Europe, Two Merc/VW over taking mirrors mounted on top of original mirrors, and bought a plug in chip, "set for Economy "( insurance informed and premium paid)  I have also fitted an island leg table in lounge/sitting area, the M/H came with fitted roof mounted air conditioning, drop down TV/DVD/CD player, auto/sat dish, kenwood sat nav/DVD/Cd/radio player , tow-bar, two toilet cassettes, I had Sigma cat 1 thatcham alarm fitted. bought a king size duck down mattress topper for the sleeping area, and an electric duvet for the colder nights when on hook up, now completely happy with our set up, would just like nicer weather.

We haven't done a great deal as we like our Helga exactly as she is, but this is our list.

Removed the fixed table (it got in the way as it was soooo big)

Replaced original 80 Ahr battery with 2 x 110 Ahr batteries.

We fitted an AlKo safe

A TV Bracket

Fitted a Fiamma Bike Rack

Replaced 50% 12V lights with LEDs

Fitted an external ariel socket

Repaired the kitchen tap.

Fitted a Kitchen Towel Holder

We will fit a Sat Dome and an Inverter when we have the money :-S

Once again-didn't realise how much I'd done till I sat down and listed it!

Sat Dish on roof

Towbar for A frame /Trailer

Rear view camera

Cruise control

Lights in garage

Shelves up one side of garage

Hook boards for Cable, hoses, screens etc

Clothes Hanging Rail in garage

Extra Clothes box for wifes smalls etc in garage

LED lighting throughout

2nd Leisure battery & Inverter

LED TV/DVD-re-wired & re-positioned

Extra Shelving in pot cupboards

Privacy curtain accross rear area to create changing room

Electronic Safe

Sky Box Frame to stop it sliding about

Outside courtesy light

Wine cellar in under seat locker

Gas alarm in bedroom area

Extra 3 pin sockets

Extra 12v sockets

Strengthened step up to fixed bed (after Porky broke it!)

Airhorns for Europe!

And last but by no means least the 'Battery Master' won in last months comp!

Maybe this is why the comparable van today would cost me £15,000 more were I to change it-plus the extras of course......here we go again!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Having bought our 'wagon' new there were a number of things we decided on doing/having done though strictly not all DIY:

Thatcham class1 alarm/immobiliser with motion sensors. All external doors alarmed and motion sensors internally.

Bumper and tow hitch.

'A' frame made and Smart car adapted.

5 mtr awning and full sides/front.....custom made

LED strip lights outside for the awning...nice lighting for evening G&T sessions

LED strips inside on top of cupboards for low level lighting

LED lighting in the garage

Chequer plated the garage floor

Gaslow twin bottle conversion

2 leisure batteries

Carpet runners to stop scratching the floor and warmth underfoot

and a lovely sheepskin rug for under the table...nice warm tootsies

now there must be something we missed that's essential..... (?)

Archived