Switzerland 2012

Hawcara

I've never been to Switzerland, so perhaps it would be a good idea.

We've only got just over 2 weeks for a hol next year. Looking at the map Interlaken may be an area to head for.

Will be going over via Dover, and down through Germany. I thought we would go via Lake Constance and come out somewhere on the West and travel back up.

That is the total extent of my knowledge and thus I would be grateful for any ideas on campsites, locations or any experience whatsoever. We are prepared to use ACSI and enjoy walking.

Thank you in advance :-D

Great country to visit, we have done so on several occasions both summer and winter. No need to really bother with motorway carnet, easily avoided. You could go down via the Mosel and the Rhine to Lake Constance, if you go near it the Rhine falls and the gardens of Manou are well worth a divertion., even with only two weeks you could still spend a few days here. The high mountain passes like the Furka are really worth doing, you can approach from Flims and do the Oberalpass, Furka, Grimsell to Interlaken but be aware some remain closed until mid June. Grindlewald to us is a must, ACSI site, Camping Gletscherodorf, here just outside the village with walks from the site. I would spend out on a ride up one of the mountain railways, in particular the one to Kleine Scheidegg and walk back via the Eiger walk.

Our two week trip this summer was to Camping Vitznau on the shore of Lake Lucerne and it was terrific. We were talked into buying a Tell Pass and this gave us 5 days of free train, boat, Cable car and Gondala rides so we explored all around the lake, including trips to the top of Mount Rigi and Mount Pilatus. We went via Dover and drove through Belgium and spent four nights in Luxembourg and on the way back spent three nights in France in Lac de la Luiz and with a week in Vitznau that made up our two week annual holiday. We entered Switzerland via the motorway through Basle and the border guards were there checking everyones "Vignette" so not too sure how you can avoid buying one but it would mean you couldn't use any motorway if you didn't have one. It was a great trip and I would recommend it to anyone.

mark hinde - 2011-10-28 12:52 PM

Our two week trip this summer was to Camping Vitznau on the shore of Lake Lucerne and it was terrific. We were talked into buying a Tell Pass and this gave us 5 days of free train, boat, Cable car and Gondala rides so we explored all around the lake, including trips to the top of Mount Rigi and Mount Pilatus. We went via Dover and drove through Belgium and spent four nights in Luxembourg and on the way back spent three nights in France in Lac de la Luiz and with a week in Vitznau that made up our two week annual holiday. We entered Switzerland via the motorway through Basle and the border guards were there checking everyones "Vignette" so not too sure how you can avoid buying one but it would mean you couldn't use any motorway if you didn't have one. It was a great trip and I would recommend it to anyone.

Not buying one is pretty easy, we have done it for years, you just avoid entering on a motorway. All the best passes and roads are off the motorways, as they are in all countries.

Great Choice, but then I am biased, I am Swiss. We will be going to Switzerland in 2012 as well and stay for a month, we have been before with a Camper and really enjoyed it, although in our first Campsite in Switzerland we were greeted with: "Well you are not in England nor in Canada or Amerika, you can't take up that much room!!"

It would be interesting to try and not buy a Vignette, up to now we have always bought one, but I am sure with a good map it is possible to stay off the motorways.

We will be mainly staying in Central Switzerland, i.e. Lucerne, Zug, Obwalden/Nidwalden as my family lives there. Check out Brueggli Zug (in the middle of a very attactive town) by the lake, Unteraegerie (on a beautiful lake), Hoellgrotten/Baar (similar to the Cheddar Gorge) Sarnen (lakeside) Kronenmatte/Sattel (in the mountains) Campsites, all in lovely surroundings but not as busy as the Bernese Oberland. These are the campsites we are going to try out this summer.

Because Switzerland is not cheap, we will be taking our Bicycles, we will stock up the fridge and the "shower" with drinks, ready meals etc. We will also make sure we do not have to buy any shampoo, showergel and medicines. If we have to shop, we will shop in Migros and eat out in Migros.

I wish you a really good time.

Another way to offset the expense in Switzerland would be to get a copy of the Swiss version of France Passion. It's called Swiss Terroir and can be found at swissterroir.ch.

It's a little bit of a faff buying, as you have to sign up before getting access to the paypal button, and unfortunately the site doesn't have an English option (it's just got the main Swiss languages of German, French and Italian). You could use google translate to get a good idea of what you are being asked, though.

For 50 francs you get access to a whole range of farms, vineyards, artisans, etc. who will offer one night free of charge on their property in the hope that you'll purchase from them.

Hope that helps,

Steve

My favorite place. I've been to Switzerland 20+ times.

Personally I prefer the German-speaking part to the French & Italian sides, but the latter are nice enough.

The two main areas to focus on are Bernese Oberland and Lucerne. Of the two I prefer Bernese Oberland, but there's plenty to do around Lucerne too.

In Bernese Oberland, Interlaken is the gateway and your choice is basically to base yourself there (Lazy Rancho seems most popular), or up in one of the valleys. Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen is a very good full-facility site. The choice between the two is basically driven by whether you want evening sun (don't tend to get that in the high-sided valleys), or ability to walk straight out of site into the moutains (if you're down in Interlaken you need to get train to the base of the mountain railways). Personally I prefer Lauterbrunnen.

Choice of mountain railways is too wide to cover here. The Jungfraujoch is the premium one that most go for...as an experience it's worthwhile, but it's not one of my favorites as much of the journey is inside a tunnel. Schynigge Platte is a great one as the panoramic views are fantastic. Would also recommend Firstbahn in Grindelwald then walk to Bachalpsee, or Mannlichen then walk across to Kleine Scheidegg. Whatever you choose, it's worthwhile looking at the rail passes as they save a lot of money, but my advice would be to think carefully about buying in advance because if you do so then get there and be unlucky enough to hit a time when the peaks are in cloudes, you'll have wasted your money.

I'd disagree on the advice not to bother with a vignette. I suppose it's possible to manage without going on the motorway system, but it'd be a real pain and take a lot longer, e.g. many of the two lane roads in Switzerland are designated as motorways. For example, approaching Interlaken without using the motorway system would take 2-3 times longer. For the sake of saving thirty quid I really can't see the point. Note that different arrangements apply according to whether you're above or below 3.5 tonne. You can buy at motorway borders, but if getting the normal <3.5 tonne one, you can get in advance from the Swiss Travel Centre in London : if you're planning to enter on a non-motorway border crossing it's particularly worthwhile as these can be unmanned, leaving you then worrying that you've no vignette when you do need to use a motorway.

One top tip...if you're approaching down the main A5/E35 to Basle from Germany, the crossing can get congested at weekends. Turn off and loop around the A98/E54 and you can bypass these.

Thank you again. We are hoping to stay at ACSI sites (cheaper)- hopefully. Also would like to walk from site to places to get train if possible, not take motorhome.

What do people do about getting fuel? Last year used Caxton fx in Germany/France, but that was with the Euro. Does the visa card work?

Silly questions perhaps, but it is a bit late when one is there.

Any advice is useful and am most grateful. :-D

Such good advice, thank you for the tip about the Swiss "passion", I will look into that, I love the French ones.

I wondered about the Vignette, I could imagine that it could be a real headache to try and avoid the motorways because the Swiss have built lots of bypasses and some of the villages they bypass are a pain to get through especially with a Camper.

I always use my Visa Debit and it works OK.

Hawcara - 2011-10-30 10:22 AM

Thank you again. We are hoping to stay at ACSI sites (cheaper)- hopefully. Also would like to walk from site to places to get train if possible, not take motorhome.

What do people do about getting fuel? Last year used Caxton fx in Germany/France, but that was with the Euro. Does the visa card work?

Silly questions perhaps, but it is a bit late when one is there.

Any advice is useful and am most grateful. :-D

If you use the ACSI site I suggested you can walk to trains. Visa card worked everywhere I have ever tried it. Not sure what obsession with vignette is, you do not need it unless every minute is important to you. For example it has been stated that getting to Interlaken will take twice as long without it, this is true but the journey along the other side of the lake is twice as good. You can stop at the villages and the many lakeside places just to look at the view or have relaxed lakeside picnic lunch. Guess if the only object is to rush to a destination then use motorways, same as in France but if not then take your time and enjoy the senic route. If you are nervous about the high passes and the associated roads then I would also say buy the vignette.

Guest JudgeMental
We stop at Switzerland most years on our summer run to Italy. after a bit of research on here (use the "search" facility) we visited Interlaken summer 2010 and stayed at lazy Rancho. A lovely area for cycling!

We have avoided Switzerland in the past mainly because of the need for a go box, some people will say you can avoid the Motorways , others will say that you can't because of diversions and road closures and the fines are high if on a Motorway without the Go Box , [ van is 4500 kgs ] we would love to tour Switzerland however and will get round to it sometime, I did come up through Austria to Germany from Venice one year and had no problems using non Motorway there however so I suppose it can be done.

We toured Switzerland last month. The best two routes we did for scenery were Andermatt - Chur and Aigle - Interlaken.

Both stunning scenery.

Our best day out was to the Aletsch glacier. They did a one day pass for all the cable cars, chairlifts and trains in the area for 40CH per person, which included a set meal in a choice of several restaurants.

http://www.aletscharena.ch/?seo=en/summer/packages&id=37&language=en

vindiboy - 2011-10-30 3:03 PM

We have avoided Switzerland in the past mainly because of the need for a go box, some people will say you can avoid the Motorways , others will say that you can't because of diversions and road closures and the fines are high if on a Motorway without the Go Box , [ van is 4500 kgs ] we would love to tour Switzerland however and will get round to it sometime, I did come up through Austria to Germany from Venice one year and had no problems using non Motorway there however so I suppose it can be done.

Was not aware you needed a 'go box' in Switzerland, if over 3.5t thought it was a daily charge.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2011-10-30 3:38 PM

Was not aware you needed a 'go box' in Switzerland, if over 3.5t thought it was a daily charge.

Getting mixed up with Austria...No go box for Switzerland :-D

Again thank you all.

The only reason I mentioned the visa bit, is because my brother went through Switzerland last year on his motorbike and had problems getting fuel for some reason. I haven't really questioned him about it, but thought I would ask, just in case. I will interrogate him when I see him later next month!

This time last week it was still light I think! B-)

JudgeMental - 2011-10-30 4:44 PM

rupert123 - 2011-10-30 3:38 PM

So no go box needed for Switzerland I got that wrong then so what do I need to do ref Motorways ? Please,

Getting mixed up with Austria...No go box for Switzerland :-D

To complete the confusion:

You have to pay the daily charge for vehicles over 3,5 to for every day the vehicle is staying in Switzerland, nothing to do with using the road that day, nothing to do with motorways either.

The official homepage of the swiss customs-administration says (translated by google):

The tax paid on entry into Switzerland is at the border customs office. When proof of payment for 10 days single devaluation by the driver before entering and before each subsequent day of stay of the vehicle in Switzerland

ollybear - 2011-10-31 8:26 AM

To complete the confusion:

You have to pay the daily charge for vehicles over 3,5 to for every day the vehicle is staying in Switzerland, nothing to do with using the road that day, nothing to do with motorways either.

The official homepage of the swiss customs-administration says (translated by google):

The tax paid on entry into Switzerland is at the border customs office. When proof of payment for 10 days single devaluation by the driver before entering and before each subsequent day of stay of the vehicle in Switzerland

Indeed, this is correct, and has been covered before in some detail on:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18425&posts=11

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21075&posts=13

....and others

I would add another vote for Grindelwald. With walking, the Mannlichen lift, and the trains, there is plenty to occupy the time without moving the 'van off pitch, and the views, particularly of the Eiger Nordwand, are stunning.

IMO, the Jungfrau railway, though very expensive, is well worth the journey, particularly if you are prepared to walk on the top (though take your sunglasses!). It does, however, need last-minute planning, as it is only worthwhile on a clear day. One tip worth taking on board is that the first train up of the day carried a reduced fare (and you could come back down on any train). Being in Grindelwald and part-way up the route, rather than the in the valley, meant it was more viable to open the blind, check the weather, and then either turn-over or go for the train. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Well Robin I looked at your second link and PJ says the 10 day pass works by valadating when you use it??

So I took that that if parked up on site and did not use van those days are exempt...

EDIT:

In fact on other thread you say there are 2 options...

"Building on and clarifying some of the other replies:

A vignette is required in Switzerland ONLY for motorways, but is valid ONLY for vehicles up to 3.5t.

Above 3.5t authority is required to use ANY roads in Switzerland, and paperwork must be bought and paid for at the border (there is no vignette or sticker to display in these circumstances).

Don't panic, under most circumstances it is neither overly-expensive nor difficult to sort out.

There would appear to be two different options on offer, though I was only offered one, but it was the most cost-effective for me.

i) As posted on another reply, you can buy 10 *separate* days of use at a fixed price. The paperwork must be updated with each individual day of road use, obviously before you set out. AFAIK, this system allows for you not to nominate days when you are not on the road (e.g. if you stay on site), and thus could cover a stay of more than 10 days, but as this was not the option I was offered, I can't vouch for that.

ii) You can buy a block of *consecutive* dates, at a price per day. There is a minimum price, which from memory equates to something like 7 or 8 days. This is the option I was offered.

Either of these options (unless a large number of days is specified on the second) will cost less than a vignette (since the vignette charge is for up to a years use).

The border offices are set up to efficiently issue paperwork, and take credit cards. I crossed into Switzerland from Chamonix/Argentires, which is not the busiest of roads, and the office was obvious. Tthe transaction took no more than a couple of minutes. Border crossings with a lot of HGVs (you are essentially being treated as an HGV) might be more busy.

Hope this helps."

JudgeMental - 2011-10-31 9:00 AM

Well Robin I looked at your second link and PJ says the 10 day pass works by valadating when you use it??

Indeed (again ;-) ). And, not having done it myself, I have seen varying opinions on whether or not the 10 separate days pass can be left "unvalidated" for days parked-up off road, but the basic issue I was picking up with you original post was...

JudgeMental - 2011-10-30 10:50 PM

Malc if you scroll down to "vehicles over 3500kg" it is all explained. Its not to bad as you only pay a daily charge on the days you actually travel on motorways...

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1176/30/

....as for vehicles over 3500kg, the charges relate to ALL Swiss road use, not just to motorways - so avoiding the motorways does not (legally) avoid the charges for such vehicles.

.......just to avoid further confusion :-)

Rupert, I am not surprised you don't need a Vignette, living where you live in the Mountains of Wales, Bedgellert, what an amazing place.

We camped there some years ago in a field next to the river, we were the only Campers, it was great, I wonder if you still can camp there? We would be back.

Archived