A bit of market research.

Dave Newell

Hi folks, this is just to ask for your help. We're considering doing some installation work at next years shows (we only do the Warners shows) and thought we'd ask what items people would want to have fitted at shows. There are a couple of items we will not fit at shows because of logistical reasons, these are rear view cameras and cruise control, otherwise we're open to suggestions. So please help us to help you by telling us what you might like to have fitted while attending a show.

Cheers, D.

Hi Dave,

I'm not in the market for it myself but observing the amount of head scratching that goes on at the LED suppliers stalls I think someone offering an 'all in one' supply and fitting service would do a fair amount of trade, also the fitting of second batteries seems to be a problem area that some would like to put in the hands of an expert.

I agree with most of the items already suggested, except for the Awnings.

These are a substantially heavy piece of Kit & a two man job at height.

Best done in a workshop, IMHO.

Other items:-

External BBQ point

External Shower points

Alarm systems

Reversing / Parking Sensors

Schaudt OVP01 Protection Units

Security Locks

I did cheat & look on Dave's website to see what he normally fits.

John & Anne - 2011-10-27 8:39 PM

Hi Dave,

Would doing habitation checks & servicing be possible?

Also Sat domes & dishes perhaps.

Also agree with previously posted suggestions.

Cheers

:-D B-)

It would be difficult to do my full hab check and not viable to do base vehicle servicing. Hab insp includes weighing the vehicle, inspecting the underfloor and chassis fixings etc, base vehicle service includes removing all road wheels and inspecting brakes, suspension etc, just not possible on a field, never mind transporting gallons of oil and servicing spares etc. Then there's what to do if a service shows up worn brake parts or suspension components.

Sat systems are a possibility though :$

D.

Definately air suspension, solar panels (fit only as their are too many variables to carry the stock unless peviously ordered). I suppose it depends on how may people will be doing the work as a lot of it is not a one man operation, awning fitting for example.

Let us know if you will be alone or have assistance, which will widen the scope and speed you can operate within.

Personally,I've always thought that having stuff fitted at a show would involve imposing unnecessarily strict time restraints....

I know alot of people have had lots of different things fitted at shows...but I always wonder how many times phrases like "..that'll have to do..we're running behind.." or "...bugg*r..you know what we've forgot!..we'll have to use these,they'll never know.." etc ;-)

From a customers point of view..I wouldn't want my job "rushed"..

and from a engineer/fitters point of view,I wouldn't want to be faced with tasks that I KNOW I could make a bettter and tidier job of,in my workshop(...especially as you'll be working alone..)

Just my thoughts.... ;-)

Had you thought of running small classes about things like how two batteries work together. or even how to attach a lock to a motorhome, the sorts of things that people ask questions about on the forum. that could be put in to short classes. A bit like car maintaince for the numpties.

pepe63 - 2011-10-28 9:08 AM

Personally,I've always thought that having stuff fitted at a show would involve imposing unnecessarily strict time restraints....

I know alot of people have had lots of different things fitted at shows...but I always wonder how many times phrases like "..that'll have to do..we're running behind.." or "...bugg*r..you know what we've forgot!..we'll have to use these,they'll never know.." etc ;-)

and from a engineer/fitters point of view,I wouldn't want to be faced with tasks that I KNOW I could make a bettter and tidier job of,in my workshop(...especially as you'll be working alone..)

Just my thoughts.... ;-)

We've had air suspension fitted at shows (two different campers) and an awning - both were 2-people jobs so that's a no-no, we never had problems with timings etc though as they always seem well organised and carried out to a high standard.

Solar panels are a good idea as quite a few do them and some fit at shows, not sure what you'd realistically need to have in stock though.

The problem, as I see it, is finding things that people will pay to have installed, that would then be worth your while doing - fitting LED bulbs for people won't make you much extra dosh and could take a stupid amount of time.

The other problem is what will the 'Diamond Dave Devotees' do when you aren't on your stall for them to come and 'meet' the man in person!!! :D

Mel B - 2011-10-28 8:24 PM

pepe63 - 2011-10-28 9:08 AM

Just my thoughts.... ;-)

We've had air suspension fitted at shows (two different campers) and an awning - both were 2-people jobs so that's a no-no, we never had problems with timings etc though as they always seem well organised and carried out to a high standard.

Solar panels are a good idea as quite a few do them and some fit at shows, not sure what you'd realistically need to have in stock though.

The problem, as I see it, is finding things that people will pay to have installed, that would then be worth your while doing - fitting LED bulbs for people won't make you much extra dosh and could take a stupid amount of time.

The other problem is what will the 'Diamond Dave Devotees' do when you aren't on your stall for them to come and 'meet' the man in person!!! :D

He could always sell autographs.

;-)

Solar panels and a dampness only check.

If you could have say 3-4 different size solar panels free standing with a metered output so we could actually see the results before buying, followed by the connecting of course but this may mean you have an extended day well into the evening with the fitting.

A dampness only check would be minimal time I assume, but chargeable of course by the hour and its going to take you 2 hrs. (Find the owner, test and return). Well worth it in my view as its something unknown and un-seeable.

art

Guest pelmetman
art338 - 2011-10-28 8:45 PMSolar panels and a dampness only check.If you could have say 3-4 different size solar panels free standing with a metered output so we could actually see the results before buying, followed by the connecting of course but this may mean you have an extended day well into the evening with the fitting.A dampness only check would be minimal time I assume, but chargeable of course by the hour and its going to take you 2 hrs. (Find the owner, test and return). Well worth it in my view as its something unknown and un-seeable.art

You have a point there Art, maybe higher the meter out for a tenner or so for a quick check can often help prevent later problems;-)

Archived