Shropshire

dawki

Hi all

last minute decision but thought we would have this weekend around Shropshire area.

hope to find somewhere to cycle/walk+ nice town where we could have a nice meal one night(wifes birthday).

i know it is a bit late to ask for tips

but any suggestion for sites etc would be very much appreciated

Guest pelmetman

Hi Dawki

We love Shropshire it has such lovely countryside and some great, interesting towns to visit.  

We have stayed at Sytche Caravan Park in Much Wenlock, its a stroll into a small town with several pubs etc.

Bridgenorth and Ludlow are a must visit too.

We have stayed on a CL Hucks Barn Farm comes under Ludlow in the Caravan Club book.  A nice site although don't forget to fill up with water first as there is only one tap right at the bottom of the field.  You can walk across a couple of fields which takes you onto a footpath into town, from memory think it was about 20 -30 mins walk although you would definitely need a torch and could well be muddy at this time of year.

Hope this helps.

SUE

Hi Dawki

Nice CCC site at Ebury Hill, with lake fishing, but it has no toilet or showers, we park the van at the park and ride at Harlscourt , (Park at the PR bus stop rear of Tesco) and bus into Shrewsbury).

Lovely old town with river walk, shopping, old world charm.

There's also the Oxon at Shrewsbury...

http://www.morris-leisure.co.uk/caravan-parks/oxon-hall/overview.htm

..it's next to a park & ride,a smallish Co-op..and there's pub which does food,across the road...

Having said that,not really the best location for walking/cycling...

Maybe have a look at south Shropshire?..it you want a "reasonably" remote site,have a look at campsite at The Green Inn,Wentnor?

http://www.greencaravanpark.co.uk/index.html

...but if the weather is going to be cr*p,that area would be a bit bleak for my taste... ;-)

There is also Telford which has lots to offer a visitor:

450 acre town park, Ironbridge and its museums, shops, theatres, ice rink, cinemas, loads of pubs including some very good ones in Ironbridge area, Cosford aerospace museum is close too. There is a very good small caravan site in Tweedale in the south east of Telford called the Severn Gorge, I believe they charge around £18 a night but it ihas fully serviced pitches and is very quiet and very secure also adults only.

D.

HI all

Had a great weekend on my first Shropshire visit ,what a lovely county

many thanks for your help, stayed at Green caravan park,went to Cartef but was shut for bonfire display that evening,

intended to to try Sytche on the way back, but went to Bishops castle and took to the place so stayed there.

had really good days at Ludlow and Iron bridge.

thanks again

So, now you have been and had a good look at the South of our county I'll make a suggestion of where to call for an excellent meal at an even more excellent price.

http://tayleurarms.co.uk/

Just a pity there is no camper stop near by. It's about 4 miles from our home and has become a regular haunt for a good meal.

And when you have eaten well, don't forget there is a whole new vista in the North of the county with our Meres, wildlife areas and the Llangollen canal.

Archived