RV's

Pat P

Had a great time at Peterborough on the Saturday. We were specifically looking at upsizing to an RV to full time in. We had a lovely chat with some super people from Arizona who gave us some great tips and recommended a Georgie Boy called a ?Sweet. Did I get that wrong? Another very nice chap recommended Monarch as a good company. He showed us round his rig and although too big for us it was very nice. I can't find them in a Google search. Anyone have any thoughts that might be helpful? Pat

Having looked at US RVs when we first came into motorhoming, I can see they are attractive for full timing, especially in terms of bang for buck. But they do have several drawbacks in Europe: - sheer size: many camp sites won't take them (but there's always another along the road) - not suitable for many roads and, especially on the Continent, in any older town. - mpg is horrible. The 7.5 tonne petrol models do about 7 to 9 MPG. Most US RVs have so much available floor footprint, they tend to make poor use of it and you actually get better usable space in many of the larger European models. If you really are decided on a US RV, then the best place to get further info is one of the US RV clubs (see MMM club listings). You'll find them very helpful.

Good points and very interesting Mel. We are still at the fact finding stage so every little helps. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that we may go to the US to buy as we have relatives out there. A tour of the US would be nice. The Arizona coupe advised us to stick to and under 29ft model but they are a bit thin on the ground! Thanks again Pat

If you buy in the US for subsequent import into the UK, make sure that the vehicle is : (a) under 7.5 tonnes max weight or you'll have to obtain an HGV driver's licence ( a non-trivial process) (b) within th maximum width limits permitted in the UK and EU - not all US motorhomes comply and you would then be unable to re-register your import.

:-D Hi Mel E. I have to disagree with most of your observations. We are Full-timers and Wild-Campers to boot. We have travelled some very (VERY) small roads here in Europe and in the USA. We have only once been in a REALLY tight spot and that was in France. A couple of shunts and we were back on the road. MPG? If you convert to LPG it effectively gives you 13 to 15 mpg. It's much cleaner/greener than Petrol or Diesel. Remember. You ARE taking a house on wheels wherever you go. Use of footprint? MMMMMMMmmmmmmm. Haven't found a European that comes anywhere near for the cost. Double cost maybe. I strongly disagree with joining clubs to find out about RV's. All the information and views from owners are FREELY available on the internet Forums. The clubs IMVH&HO are for Snobs. (lol) (lol) (lol)

John, There are always two sides to any viewpoint (thank goodness, or we'd all be very boring!). However, I should correct at least one of your misunderstandings. I certainly didn't advocate joining an RV Club, but merely suggested contacting them for their (obviously biased but still very useful) views. As to your 13 - 15 mpg on LPG, I really take some convincing that a vehicle that does 6 - 8 miles per US gallon can be boosted that amount by using LPG. Yes, there are smaller and more economical RVs, but I thought it was size that counted? And I would gently suggest that writing off everyone who joins a club as being a snob shows you up as . . . a snob?

:-D Hi Mel E. If you re-read my post it says effectively gives you. In other words taking into account the cost of LPG against the cost of Petrol/Diesel it would then give you 13 to 15 mpg. I'm not biased towards RV's. (lol) Just utterley convinced. Otherwise I would be driving around in a European. Luxury on wheels. Comfort and appliances of home. Plenty of room to move around. What more does a Full-Timer need? ;-) :-| I must apologise for calling Club joiners Snobs. It is a big failing on my behalf. I have been on several Club Committees. Unfortunately they all seem to run the club for themselves and not for the members. I say old chap. That's just not Cricket. (lol)

Would agree clubs are not for snobs but do tend to have their own little cliques. We have been to a few rallies/ meets and have tried hard to mix in but it is very hard work!! In fact at the Malvern show last August we were not allowed to park in the club area even though we had booked and there was plenty of space too. And that was the supposedly "Friendly club"!!! That has put us off somewhat to say the least!! We tend to do our own thing now, although we did meet some nice people in the club some had a job to speak to us!!. Our RV is just a baby really 26' and we have had no problems on any sites and to be honest most of the pitches we have been on would easily accomodate say 32'ers. As for problems with small roads again no real problems and after all most sites are served by local buses and they are 30' plus. We get aprox 18mpg from our V8 6.5 litre diesel engined RV and that is towing a car most of the time. Mrs D dosen't do hills on a bike so West Country riding is a no no! Regards Pat

Pat P, These guys are worth a look - sensible prices and top notch merchandise www.statesidetuning.co.uk They also keep accessories and service parts and will even source a vehicle for you. You will get considerably better MPG from the newer and more efficient Ford Triton V10s on the lighter chassis than the older Petrol powered busses, probably in the region of 12-14 depending on how heavy footed you are and there's always bags of room underneath if you want to add a gas conversion. I am biased having owned Americans for years, you cant beat the build quality and comfort they give. Some earlier examples can be a bit chintzy inside but they have come a long way in recent years and nice neutral interiors are more popular these days.

How can Ford who underpin some of these beasts with a 6.8 litre petrol lump call it an "Econoline?". Everybody is right of course, it all depends on what you want out of a motorhome and if you want to do your own thing or be part of a "community". We don't like being "organised" so do our own thing mostly. Mind you our second DIY motahome was on a 7.5 tonne base, Bedford Duple Vista and we never got it stuck anywhere. 14 MPG on Derv. BUT we do take our smaller UK motorhome to places we just would not have considered with the Bedford.(25 MPG pulling a two motorbike trailer) BUT we do go to places on our small motorcycles we wouldn,t contemplate with the uk Motahome. But if you have a tiff with the better half there is more seperation in a yank!! Altarnatively a van conversion means you don,t need auxilliary transport provision at all! Its whatever you want it to be. Happy camping. Clive

Archived