New Foam for Seats

enodreven

Hi,

We need to replace the foam in the seat bases in our motor home, the cab seats are still fine its just the habitation area seat bases, they are used as seats and as a mattress the existing foam is made up of layers all about 1inch thick stuck together to form a 5 inch thick single piece, is there a reason for this or could I just replace it with a 5 inch thick piece of foam,

Any suggestions would be welcome and any suggestions on where I could either get the foam or have them replaced in Essex would also be very helpful

Thanks

Brian

Guest pelmetman

If your covers are zipped and just need the foam then there are plenty of online firms such as http://www.foamforcomfort.co.uk

If there buttoned and you need them sorted professionally, then visit the Association of Master Upholsterers web site and you will find a upholsterer near you;-)...........  

Thanks for the link and the suggestion they are really helpfulBrian

pelmetman - 2011-10-30 10:02 AMIf your covers are zipped and just need the foam then there are plenty of online firms such as http://www.foamforcomfort.co.uk

If there buttoned and you need them sorted professionally, then visit the Association of Master Upholsterers web site and you will find a upholsterer near you;-)...........  

braunston - 2011-10-30 9:43 AM

Hi,

We need to replace the foam in the seat bases in our motor home, the cab seats are still fine its just the habitation area seat bases, they are used as seats and as a mattress the existing foam is made up of layers all about 1inch thick stuck together to form a 5 inch thick single piece, is there a reason for this or could I just replace it with a 5 inch thick piece of foam,

Any suggestions would be welcome and any suggestions on where I could either get the foam or have them replaced in Essex would also be very helpful

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian

On the seats cushions, the 5 layers will be different density foam to give the best solution between comfort & compression. A single layer of a single density would be either too soft, compress too much & deform rather quickly or too hard and be uncomfotable for both sitting or as a bed mattress.

This month's CC magazine Raskelf advert (the also regularly advertise in MMM) states they have "weekly offers throughout November" & "check our website for regular updates"

http://www.raskelf.com/Caravans_and_Motorhomes

Another regular advertiser in MMM - http://www.foam.co.uk/index.htm

Had our base cushions done 2 weeks ago at Tockfield they advertise in Caravan Club mag or www.foam.co.uk we posted the covers on a tuesday am they were delivered back on Fri pm cost was

around £185 for two cushions we were delighted with quality and service

Regards Sandy Anderson

We wre thinking of doing this recently with our Burtsner cushions.....however when chatting with the local foam suppliers, as the covers were zipped, they suggested we first try taking the foam out, turning it back to front (its square profile) and then putting it back in the other way (ie 'upside down) . In effect what most of us probably do with the bed matresses at home from time to time

We did this without too much trouble, and this has worked a treat and saved us potentially around £200....it will certainly extend the life of the seats/bed cushions.

My Hubby is the manager of a commercial recycling facility, They also recycle mattresses and usually have large amounts of foam reclaimed from mattresses, some is obviously too thin, but for cushions etc. 5-6 inch thick, 6 foot x 3 or 4 foot slabs of foam are readily available at a very low cost if you are able to collect.

Looking at the prices charged by some foam converters, if it cost you £50 in fuel to collect from South Wales and another £25 for a whole slab, then thats a bargain.

PM me if you are interested and I'll pass over details.

Archived