down to narbonne

trickydicky

trickydicky - 2011-10-31 4:43 PM

hi, does anyone know if we go via clermont ferrand down to narbonne do we have to use the milau bridge or toll road.we have a heavy m/h and are trying to keep costs to a minimum.is there a good secondary rd that we can use without adding hours to the journey.

The motorway either side of the bridge is toll free. We left it before the bridge and dropped down into the town of Millau and back up and rejoined it the other side.

It's worth paying the small(ish) toll (Class 2 is 12.40 Eur) for the bridge, I have done it both ways and the brdge saves about 40 mins. (and probably some fuel as well).

It depends if you want to hang around or get to where you want to be. At rush hour (or two) it is always better on the bridge.

H

hallii - 2011-10-31 4:29 PM

It's worth paying the small(ish) toll for the bridge

......but as the OP says it is a heavy motorhome, the toll is not likely to be small(ish) if he gets stung for the appropriate class.

(about 3 times the small(ish) toll you pay!).

Come off before the bridge and go into Millau, one of our favourite places. There are two Aires and also three ACSI sites all within an easy walk of the town centre where as well as the main drag you will find alleyways off the main street with numerous eating places that are well worth a visit.

We use the Autoroute Meridienne whenever we go south now as it is the least expensive (more or less free) way to go down using motorways.

Bas

Basil - 2011-10-31 4:55 PM

Come off before the bridge and go into Millau, one of our favourite places. There are two Aires and also three ACSI sites all within an easy walk of the town centre where as well as the main drag you will find alleyways off the main street with numerous eating places that are well worth a visit.

We use the Autoroute Meridienne whenever we go south now as it is the least expensive (more or less free) way to go down using motorways.

Bas

Hi Basil

If heading for Spain in December (La Manga) would you still use this route? Do you have route details from Calais? Would you expect any poor driving conditions at that time of year?

Many thanks,

David

david lloyd - 2011-10-31 6:35 PM

If heading for Spain in December (La Manga) would you still use this route? Do you have route details from Calais? Would you expect any poor driving conditions at that time of year?

Many thanks,

David

I would recommend, going down the west of France,(Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux, Dax) to the Somport tunnel and then the toll free A23 all the way to the coast north of Valencia.

After bypassing Valencia on the A7, take the A7 (por interior) to the A35. Turn off at La Font de la Figuera and take the N344 until you reach the A30 north of Murcia.

All toll free.

derek500 - 2011-11-01 4:11 PM

david lloyd - 2011-10-31 6:35 PM

Many thanks,

David

I would recommend, going down the west of France,(Abbeville, Rouen, Chartres, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux, Dax) to the Somport tunnel and then the toll free A23 all the way to the coast north of Valencia.

After bypassing Valencia on the A7, take the A7 (por interior) to the A35. Turn off at La Font de la Figuera and take the N344 until you reach the A30 north of Murcia.

All toll free.

Derek, I thank you.

It had been my original intention to trvel down the west coast to Bordeaux then to Madrid and Murcia but the route you give sounds good to me.

David

david lloyd - 2011-10-31 5:35 PM

Hi Basil

Many thanks,

David

Hi David, yes I would still use this route. We normally go from Dunkerque so if you are going from Calais you need to head towards Dunkerque first to miss the 'Pay' route down the A1.

Wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary for winter driving. We don't go to Spain, went once didn't like and have never returned (personal prefferences!!), so how this route suits where you are headed is for you to decide. We have however been down near to the border and we still feel this is, overall, the best route particularly as it is free but with a high proportion of Autoroute. I am going to try to attach two files, one a Tom Tom Itinery route and one a Google Earth file. You will see if you look at the overal route it is virtually straight from top to bottom, clearly there are some deviations but it suits us.

Bas

Calais to Perpignan.itn

Calais to Perpignan.itn

The Google Earth file seems to make the Server return a 500 error whatever that is (but they are working on it!!) so apparently I cant post the file, if the Tom Tom one is not of use to you PM me with an e-mail address and I will send it straight to you.

Bas

The motorway between Clermont Ferrand and Beziers is extrremely scenic, a bit up and down, at one place it gets up to 11100 metres.  I think a  trip down to the Languedoc on this motorway is wonderful - actually, coming back is also pretty good.as well. This year we spent a night at Couvertoirade, only 3 euros to saty in the car park, but no water or waste disposal.  We sat out in the evening and heard bells - with binoculars we saw it was a huge flock of sheep going across the vally.  One of magical moments!

Basil - 2011-11-04 1:42 PMWe have however been down near to the border and we still feel this is, overall, the best route particularly as it is free but with a high proportion of Autoroute.

That's a good route for going to the south of France. But, if you're crossing into Spain and not aiming for the Costa Brava/Dorada area it's a long, arduous route (especially if avoiding tolls).

Draw a straight line on a map form Calais to La Manga and you will discover it completely misses the Spanish/French Mediterranean coast.

Minstrel - 2011-11-04 4:14 PM

The motorway between Clermont Ferrand and Beziers is extrremely scenic, a bit up and down, at one place it gets up to 11100 metres.  I think a  trip down to the Languedoc on this motorway is wonderful - actually, coming back is also pretty good.as well. This year we spent a night at Couvertoirade, only 3 euros to saty in the car park, but no water or waste disposal.  We sat out in the evening and heard bells - with binoculars we saw it was a huge flock of sheep going across the vally.  One of magical moments!

blimey, 11100 metres is approx 35000 feet... you must have oxygen masks at the ready, and I doubt that a diesel engine would run at that height, and dont forget the air temp at that height is about -40 degrees. so you will definitely need your winter warmers!!

Seriously though, the scenery down that route from Clermont to Beziers is excellent, and as others say you don't have to use the Millau bridge, just drop off the motormay and go into Millau and climb back out the other side. many campsites in Millau area and a couple of Aires and france passion in the area.

La Couvertoirade does have toilet facility but it is the Car Park, not in the Aire bit, and may be closed at night.

tonyg3nwl

George Collings - 2011-11-01 10:12 PM

Pic of the Aire at Millau. The view to the right is much better. There are usually hang gliders flying of the cliff face.

Hi George, do you have the GPS for this aire? The only Millau aire mentioned in my book is on Rue Cantarane nr the Quay.

bolero boy - 2011-11-05 10:44 AM

George Collings - 2011-11-01 10:12 PM

Pic of the Aire at Millau. The view to the right is much better. There are usually hang gliders flying of the cliff face.

Hi George, do you have the GPS for this aire? The only Millau aire mentioned in my book is on Rue Cantarane nr the Quay.

There's co-ordinates and a Google map on the campingcar-infos website.

Latitude : (Nord) 44.09511° Décimaux ou 44° 5' 42.396''

Longitude :(Est) 3.08232° Décimaux ou 3° 4' 56.352''

It moved a few years ago, causing some confusion, The parking was at one location and the services at another.

Basil - 2011-11-04 12:42 PM

david lloyd - 2011-10-31 5:35 PM

Hi Basil

Many thanks,

David

Hi David, yes I would still use this route. We normally go from Dunkerque so if you are going from Calais you need to head towards Dunkerque first to miss the 'Pay' route down the A1.

Wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary for winter driving. We don't go to Spain, went once didn't like and have never returned (personal prefferences!!), so how this route suits where you are headed is for you to decide. We have however been down near to the border and we still feel this is, overall, the best route particularly as it is free but with a high proportion of Autoroute. I am going to try to attach two files, one a Tom Tom Itinery route and one a Google Earth file. You will see if you look at the overal route it is virtually straight from top to bottom, clearly there are some deviations but it suits us.

Bas

Basil, Hi

How do you save your itinery on ITN converter , we have recently returned from a trip Dunkerqe to Frontignan Plage ,i used ITN converter to manage the toll free route via Lille,Troyes,Issoire.Millau Bridge and down to the Med. came back via Capelguyon,Bourges,Laon.

But i could not find a way to save the itinery to my computer to come back to it at a later date ,to modify the route etc,

Hope you dont mind me asking you this

THANKS

auntyjanet1 - 2011-11-09 10:46 AM

Basil, Hi

How do you save your itinery on ITN converter , we have recently returned from a trip Dunkerqe to Frontignan Plage ,i used ITN converter to manage the toll free route via Lille,Troyes,Issoire.Millau Bridge and down to the Med. came back via Capelguyon,Bourges,Laon.

But i could not find a way to save the itinery to my computer to come back to it at a later date ,to modify the route etc,

Hope you dont mind me asking you this

THANKS

Sorry if I am dense but I don't know what ITN converter is, I use a 'Freeware' package called 'Tyre' (Trace Your Route Everywhere) which integrates Google maps and/or Earth and Tom Tom mapping. I find it a very useful tool which allows you to make up itineries and place them onto your Tom Tom or store them on your computer and also to be able to remove or copy existing Itineries into Tyre and save them to the PC.

Don't know if that helps.

Bas

Archived