Winter cover for Swift Suntor 580 PR Motorhome

Guest Erikbloodaxe

Guest Erikbloodaxe
My MH is in the open over winter. Do I really need to put a full cover or a roof cover over it? If so what is the best make/brand? It would need to be removed ever 2-3 weeks when the MH goes out for a run.

Personally I would go for a full cover. I did not have a cover at all for our previous van. It was a right flog after the winter, cleaning off all the mildew and black streaks plus of course possible damage from getting wet and freezing etc.

I have a full Pro-Tec cover for our current van, works very well. Clean the van, cover it up, uncover next year, comes out gleaming, and no cleaning needed, plus the van has been protected from the frost and snow.

Brian B.

Please think very carefully before using a cover, I have seen some very badly damaged motorhomes that have used a cover. Far better to protect your pride and joy through the darker months with a good quality wax. This would work out far cheaper even if you employed somebody (like me) to wax it for you. It may appear that I'm touting for business but if the motorhome is out in the open the wind will move the cover about and do damage to the thin paintwork , even if it is well secured.

Guest Tracker

You do indeed have to make the choice.

I have had many motorhomes over the last 40 years and never once have I garaged or covered one and never once has the van suffered over winter as a result!

As for cleaning off black straeks etc in the spring - no problem they just wash off with Flash liquid (or Lidls cheapo comparable) and if they don't fully wash off a bit of polish soon shifts any marks.

I have seen damage from chaffing by a poorly fitted cover which is probably more likely if you live on windy ridge and there is no way I would ever buy a cover for any motorhome, car, caravan or boat.

I don't know whether lack of air circulation can cause damp issues or not but on the plus side the furnishings should fade less with a cover!

thebishbus - 2011-11-01 8:33 PM

Another consideration is where you live. We live just to the east of Birmingham, and are subjected to all that airborne pollution on the prevailing wind.

Brian B

another good reason to have a good quality wax coating

There are covers for sale second hand because people change vans and can get an extra bit of cash by selling off the cover seperate, most people would only pay the price for a van irrespective of whether the cover was part of the deal or not.

We have used a Protec cover for a number of years now, had absolutely no damage whatsoever, it has only protected as it should. Have owned caravans and motorhomes for over forty years and I would now use a cover as a matter of course, comes out as clean and shiney as when it was covered.

My only comment is you get what you pay for and when I first tried the Protec cover I was hesitant having had bad experiences with classic cars but I cannot speak highly enough, a cover for ours every time. We also have two friends who have Protecs and are happy with theirs as well.

Bas

Guest Erikbloodaxe
Thanks to all for your replies. MH stored in Stockport and survived the last two harsh winters in the open so I have decided just to wash & polish it. :-)

• 1 month later...

We had very bad weather last year and early this year. Our previous motorhome suffered from damp and water ingress. We decided to replace it in April and to protect it over this winter I ordered a cover from PROTEC.

they have all the sizes for various makes, the cover fits perfectly and mos important it is made from a breatheable fabric. it lets in a little moisture but as I sit looking out the window, on the roof there is puddle of water, but this will not go through the fabric.

I sent them a photo of the roof area and they built in a clear pvc panel to accommodate the solar panel.

There is a door access as well that lets me ceck insie to make sure all is well - and it is!

Archived