full timing in Europe

big olga

I was reading the article in M.M.M. about the couple who spent two years finding the perfect motorhome to tour Europe in full time .

As I read on I shocked to discover that they had bought a right hand drive van?

I hope to take our "Big Olga "to Spain next year but she is left hand drive.

what do others think about this choice of driving position in a motorhome in Europe?

I wish the couple all the best in their quest to live full time in their new motorhome and hope to see them in Calpe Spain in the future.

Best Wishes Dave.

Over the last 20 odd years I have driven about 120,000 miles on the RH side of the road, mainly in Europe but also in the USA. The majority has been in my own RH drive vehicles but some has been in LH drive hire vehicles.

In a car where overtaking opportunities are frequent its better for the driver to be near the middle of the road. With a more cumbersome motorhome where overtaking is less common the driver being close to the verge has its advantages. However one has to be careful particularly at junctions and roundabouts if the driver is on the wrong side ie with a RH drive vehicle where the rule of the road is to drive on the right or vice versa .

A reliable passenger can be a great asset if the driver is on the wrong side. A typical situation in Europe when driving a RH drive vehicle is tobe held up by a truck on a two way road. On a right hand bend the driver gets a view of the road ahead opening out as the bend straightens. After an appropriate mirror check and signal he/she begins to move to the offside guided by the pasenger. Eventually with a clear view ahead the driver can make decision if overtaking is safe.

if you and or your vehicle are plodders steering position is not really critical but if time is likely to be of the essence there is a lot to be said for having the steering wheel on the apropriate side.

A couple of thoughts:

1. The United Kingdom IS in Europe.........I guess you meant to say "Continental Europe", or "Mainland Europe".

2. I agree with you.

Full-timing in Continental Europe with RHD when all the rest of Continental Europe is universally LHD is NOT the ideal layout.

Sure, of course it's perfectly feasible; but it's NOT the IDEAL layout for driving here..... certainly not on a "permanent" basis.

That driving position isn't as good as LHD: not for vision, not for safety, not for manoeuvring, not for getting/paying toll tickets etc.......and I assume also that the hab door of such a MH will also be on the wrong side too.

3. If you're coming down this way, do you know about the newly opened Odessea MH "Aire" site in Calpe, which is about half a km from the Calpe Mar site (just across the salt-lake, near to Lidl etc)?

Trust we'll see you at a THE NOMAD gig in Calpe in the coming months.......maybe at Metro Bar in the town centre; they've booked me to play there on New Years Eve!

Hi, BGD. we are back home again in the frozen north; so it will be a while before we get back to Calpe again. We get home sick for Calpe! I had not thought of the Hab. door being on the wrong side for stepping on to the to pavement on RHD.

Thank you for the info about the new aire.

We used the new Beniconnect mini bus service to Alicante Airport $15.00 from Calpe to ALC.they pick up at S.H. Hotel.

We did not hire a car this time as the money is getting short!

Best wishes Dave.

I had not thought of the Hab. door being on the wrong side for stepping on to the to pavement on RHD.

Actually that's not true, it depends on what make of motorhome you buy. Our last 3 motorhomes have all been RHD: Rapido 709F, Rimor Sailer 645TC and Chausson Flash 04 - with all 3 being RHD with the habitation door on the UK offside. We actually prefer this to a habitation door on the UK nearside because if we park with the right side next to the pavement we get out of the habitation door, if we park with the left side next to the pavement, we get out of the passenger door - this if extremely useful and much safer when we want to take the dogs out with us. If the habitation door was on the UK nearside and we wanted to get out on the right hand side, we'd have to struggle past the driver's seat/wheel etc, so don't worry about where the habitation door is unduly.

Hi, Malc. I drive both types myself but have selected a leftie for Spain as my wife is a non driver and can,t judge traffic speed for overtaking etc.

I was shocked that they had spent two years looking for the best motorhome to live in full time for a new life in greater europe ;spain, germany, italy, and all the rest and purchased a right hand drive vehicle!

Did you know that I am a Vindi boy too! 1963 deck. there are not too many of us left!

Best Wishes Dave and leftie "Big Olga"

hi , Pelmetman, Yes it,s about the Merchant Navy; I went to The Training Ship "Vindicatrix" at Sharpeness Docks Gloucester in 1963 . I was aged fifteen and a Half and travelled by steam train to Sharpness Station and was collected by the camp staff and spent three months training in all things nautical. [the "Vindi" Was an old German Sailing Ship]

I used to be able to "box" the magnetic compass to the quarter points! we were taught well but fed badly

where did they get those tiny eggs from! Splicing ,lifeboat drill ,watch keeping ,steering the ship,It was quite an experience for a very young person. [ I tried to send my son away at sixteen but he got his solicitor to stop me!]

After three months training I was on my way home but after two days at home I was told to report to the Shaw Savill,s "Southern cross" as a deck boy. the ship was at Harland and Wolff ,s belfast and had completed a big refit [the Southern Cross was built in Belfast in 1955 and sailed the seas for 44 years!]

So my first trip was a World Cruise lasting three months! I have been around the world in tankers, cargo ships, and cruise ships! the camp closed in 1966 so the "Vindi boys "are an elete group and our numbers are reducing. Best Wishes Dave.

Guest pelmetman
big olga - 2011-11-03 4:28 PMHi, I am ex Royal Naval reserve as well does that help?If you need any mines swept I,m your Man!
A small ships man eh?..........I only served on a couple of small ships, FTB's Cutlass and P1200 one of my best drafts;-)........most of my time was spent on County Class Destroyers Devonshire, Norfolk, Antrim and one Tribal Class Frigate Zulu:D

Guest pelmetman
big olga - 2011-11-03 4:59 PMHi, we have moved a long way from the Left Hand /Right Hand Drive debate!

Yes, we got a bit nautical, I started to swing the lantern:D..........Memory's of rum, fun, and bum..................boats(lol) 

big olga - 2011-11-01 10:25 PM

I was reading the article in M.M.M. about the couple who spent two years finding the perfect motorhome to tour Europe in full time .

what do others think about this choice of driving position in a motorhome in Europe?

I wish the couple all the best in their quest to live full time in their new motorhome and hope to see them in Calpe Spain in the future.

Best Wishes Dave.

Why shocked. I have been driving with RH drive in Europe for years and have never found it a problem in cars or M/H. In the M/H cannot see it makes any differance, never overtake anything except the odd tractor or pushbike, and at junctions etc you get used to it very fast. It would be better if Europe converted to driving on the proper side of the road as the majority of people world wide still drive on the left.

rupert123 - 2011-11-04 9:15 AM

big olga - 2011-11-01 10:25 PM

Best Wishes Dave.

Why shocked. I have been driving with RH drive in Europe for years and have never found it a problem in cars or M/H. In the M/H cannot see it makes any differance, never overtake anything except the odd tractor or pushbike, and at junctions etc you get used to it very fast. It would be better if Europe converted to driving on the proper side of the road as the majority of people world wide still drive on the left.

" the majority of people world wide still drive on the left "

Really ?

I'd be very surprised if that is correct.

Archived