Boat and Caravan Show Cancelled

Andy_C

On our October trip to France we visited a couple of French motorhome dealerships near Rennes and popped into the Angers motorhome/caravan show. I can report that 2012 Continental European-built motorcaravans are just like the 2011 versions, though probably less practical.

I thought that (from the on-paper specification and magazine reports) a Chausson Flash 10 might replace our current Hobby, but it was immediately evident when we viewed a Flash 10 that its serious lack of storage space made it a non-starter. (Didn’t much care for its inability to carry a spare-wheel either.)

It was startling to see how damaged brand-new Chaussons being displayed at a Rennes dealership were and how badly-fitting were the internal and exterior doors. Chausson seemed to be using a shallower swivel for the Transit’s cab-seats, which improved the driving position (for me) though I’d still feel it necessary to remove the swivel if I owned one.

The Angers exhibition confirmed our view that the French must have very different decor tastes to us as there were some very peculiar motorhome interior colour schemes. I did my usual strange-cupboard-door-handle review and Le Voyageur came out tops with glittery dimpled handles that looked like a trainee blacksmith might have made for MFI.

The Angers show is always a rather dismal affair, but at least it’s cheap (€5), indoors so weather-proof, getting to it and parking (free) are easy , and there’s a good selection of vehicles. Not many people there on Day 1 (Friday afternoon), but a few sales seemed to be taking place. Hard not to think there will be a bloodbath in the motorhome industry soon, as the dealerships we visited were crammed with new unsold ‘vans, as were all those we passed by while travelling.

rolandrat - 2011-11-05 7:21 PM

Colin, Are you taking your Gin Palace to the factory rally next year? (just light hearted banter).

She would like to take us back to see where she was born but as yet I can't find our the rally dates so it will depend if we can fit it in with our holidays which we will be booking up in early December.

DuxDeluxe - 2011-11-05 5:57 PM

One major show in the south and one further north. Sounds balanced to me. As above, many people will use other transport to the Excel show so the LEZ argument doesn't stack up. You can't please all the people all the time.. Personally I think that it's a good idea, but we'll see if it is a success

Definitely a balanced situation, and i hope it succeeds. Of course you do not expect visitors from 'up north' - or even the midlands, but there'sa huge population (and presumably a large number of motorhomers) down here in the sunny south.It's now a very expensive proposition to get to and stay at Birmingham, and for many of us Excel is quite accessible and will make a day out instead of having to be away for several days.

It's many years since Earls Court was THE show, and i could never see tha value of having 2 shows at the NEC each year.

Colin Leake - 2011-11-14 6:20 PM

I've just seen the prices for the show between £7 and £10 pounds with free parking and show guide and kids go free. Can't be bad and much cheaper than NEC used to be under the old organisers.

The NCC don't need to make a profit out of the shows, unlike the commercial show organisers, so are able to offer lower prices.

Andy

I've just seen the prices for the show between £7 and £10 pounds with free parking and show guide and kids go free. Can't be bad and much cheaper than NEC used to be under the old organisers. Makes a nonsense of some of the alarmist comments posted here!

Dont know if you are talking about the NEC but I thought it was a great price at the NEC but for me the London one is out because it is too far 140 miles return against 340 and all the problems of the traffic no contest lets see how they get on next year

Having the show further up country makes it more accessible to more people London is not the be all and end all off everything.

I've just seen the prices for the show between £7 and £10 pounds with free parking and show guide and kids go free. Can't be bad and much cheaper than NEC used to be under the old organisers. Makes a nonsense of some of the alarmist comments posted here!

Actually, it's a bit naughty of them headlining the £7 price (only available in advance of the gate) as it refers to over 60s (not quite there yet) and there is a booking fee of £1. I haven't found out yet if there is a 'card' fee, too.

So for most adults, the price in advance will be £9. Still very reasonable but........

Mickydripin - 2011-11-16 2:20 PM

Dont know if you are talking about the NEC but I thought it was a great price at the NEC but for me the London one is out because it is too far 140 miles return against 340 and all the problems of the traffic no contest lets see how they get on next year

Having the show further up country makes it more accessible to more people London is not the be all and end all off everything.

The NEC is out for us for the same reason London is out for you. Too far to travel. You've had one show at the NEC in October. Now it's the turn of us southerners. Why should you expect both shows to be at the NEC? Obviously the trade has spoken and opted for the London show having already done the NEC in October. Incidently the only reason the prices were so reasonable at the October show this year was that the same organisation put it on that are putting the Lomdon show on. Had the Boat and Caravan show gone ahead I doubt the prices on past experience would have been as reasonable.

bolero boy - 2011-11-16 2:33 PM

Actually, it's a bit naughty of them headlining the £7 price (only available in advance of the gate) as it refers to over 60s (not quite there yet) and there is a booking fee of £1. I haven't found out yet if there is a 'card' fee, too.

So for most adults, the price in advance will be £9. Still very reasonable but........

Further to this...............car parking is included (as is parking your M/H during the day.......BUT....to park overnight this year was £27.50 (gulp!!!) per night. I'd think very, very, very carefully about spending this on a really good site in peak season.............I've had a think and I wouldn't, lol!!

We used this 'service' last year as we stopped over on our way North, I couldn't believe what we got for our near £30.................a very crowded car park with 'services' about 1/4 mile away.

The cost of the overnight stay is about as poor value as the ticket prices + car parking are great value.

bolero boy - 2011-11-16 6:22 PM

bolero boy - 2011-11-16 2:33 PM

Further to this...............car parking is included (as is parking your M/H during the day.......BUT....to park overnight this year was £27.50 (gulp!!!) per night. I'd think very, very, very carefully about spending this on a really good site in peak season.............I've had a think and I wouldn't, lol!!

We used this 'service' last year as we stopped over on our way North, I couldn't believe what we got for our near £30.................a very crowded car park with 'services' about 1/4 mile away.

The cost of the overnight stay is about as poor value as the ticket prices + car parking are great value.

We have visited the shows at NEC on a number of occasions (usually incorporated into a trip away elasewhere), and have always used the CC Birmingham Chapel Lane site. This is much cheaper, much betterwiht full facilities, and only a short distance away...and you still get the free parking when you get to the NEC. I'm afriad that parking on a basic car park at the price charged just does not appeal.

Archived