Window removal

vansearcher

I would like to remove a side window to check for damp but I cannot get the caps/covers off the internal fascia screws.

They are virtually level with the fascia.

Are they snap on or screw on?

I have tried many small and sharp implements but am in danger of spoiling the fascia surface.

Does anyone have a good solution?

Hi, I think I am certain what you are taking about. They are a push fit.

various methods to removing.

Method 1. Pierce the little devils in centre with a spike and lever out and replace with new ones.

- No one wants to do this.

Method 2. Use very strong self adhesive tape like Duct tape or carpet tape. It needs to be very tacky. You apply a bit and press firmly down onto the cap. You the strategically hold the tape in such a way when you give it a very sharp tuck you hope the cap comes out, or far enough to then get to the side of the cap with a sharp edge (knife) to carefully lever rest of the way.

Method 3. Use a tacky strong mastic. Like the black seakant used for some trim which sets very tacky and firm but still pliable. You take a ball of the stuff and kneed it over the cap and pressing your thumb into it over the cap. You then give it a very sharp snap like tug and hopefully pull the plug out. The action causes the mastic to stretch elastically and it recoils back on your thumb and stings like heck. However it is very effective when the techquique is perfected as it also seems to form a vacuum around the plug sucking it out as well as sticking to it.

Method 4. Variation of 1,2, or 3 but use a freezer spray to cool the plastic plug 1st. It then shrinks a bit and if you are very lucky almost falls out.

Hope this helps.

Jon.

We deal with a similar problem on some equipment in our business and you rarely get them out undamaged so drill a little hole in em and pull em out ... just accept you will need to replace em or just fill the hole with silicone if you cant find replecements. Interested in why such a radical move ie removing a window :-S I assume you know you have a damp problem in that area ?

Hi both,

I've tried all suggestions including application of small hammer but to no avail.

I've only been getting a reading of about 24% below one window corner (on a cheap meter) so I am just getting ready in case I need a proper investigation.

So I'll keep monitoring it while I wait to get a decent Protimeter on ebay and I will phone Autosleepers to see if they can sell me the same cream coloured caps.

Thanks for your help

RG

Sorry you have not managed to remove -- need me there to show you the technique as it usually works, but will admit a few people I have shown how to do it do not manage it, and resort to letting me do it. ...the mastic method works the best, but you do need the right type of thick tacky mastic.

You will find it virtually impossible to obtain the caps, I have been trying to get some for five years!

I removed ours by using a thin knife blade (Stanley knife type) to just get the tip in the tight gap between the cap and the window surround and twist to flick the cap out, I found this the most successful way without doing too much or any damage to the cap, any mark is on the side that is in the recess so cannot be seen when refitted. I had already damaged three or four trying other suggested methods, hence I have been trying to get some in the appropriate colour.

Bas

Basil - 2011-11-05 7:16 PM

The ones to which I refer are the standard Seitz ones, they are simply circular and press into the hole to which they are a snug fit, they do not actually fit into the screw or a cup but a recess in the window moulding.

Bas

Vansearcher

The folowing website may be useful:

http://www.dreampod.net/boroma/dometic_windows.html

The information provided indicates that the type of 'screw-cover' used depends on the age/model of the Dometic/Seitz window (which was my own understanding) and it appears that you've got the earlier type of cover that's hard plastic and normally fits flush (or slightly below) with the face-surface of the window's inner frame.

My own experience of such covers is that, if you are unable to lever them out with a knife-point as Basil describes (a method that has a fair chance of causing damage to the frame's surface and/or screw-cover), you will be very lucky to be able to remove them with adhesive tape or mastic. Plainly it's worth trying the tape/mastic method as it's non-injurious, but it won't be effective with a really tight cover.

You might try super-gluing something (like a screw/nail that has a head that's a bit smaller diameter than that of the cover) to pull the cover out as recommended on

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopicp-290952.html

Me, if I haven't been able to get a cover out with a sharp knife, I've just drilled a hole in the cover's centre and hooked it out with a piece of bent wire. The cover doesn't connect to the screw-head beneath, so there's normally sufficient space below the cover to allow this technique to be used.

Basil's research strongly suggests that old-type covers are no longer available, but a Dometic supplier should be able to say for sure.

Archived