Port Isaac, Cornwall

dogmad

We're going to Cornwall for a few days and would like to visit Port Isaac (being Doc Martin fans). Has anyone been there and if so, is it possible to park a 20' motorhome please? We don't mind a walk so it wouldn't be a problem if we could park on the outskirts. Any suggestions would be appreciated please.

Main car parks are on the beach or at top of hill to NE of town, IIRC road from east is not to bad, road from SW is narrow. If you are going now I guess roadside parking is availible but the roads are narrow and parking a van might not be to friendly.

'The Castle' is Doyden Castle a NT holiday cottage at port quin a few miles to west, we have stayed at the main house 10+ years ago and often thought of staying at doyden castle but it's usualy booked when we want to go, not a hells chance now I would guess

We visited Port Issac in June this year ,we stayed at Trewethett Farm site (C.Club) its near Boscastle .

All roads are fairley narrow ,we caught a bus from end of campsite road via Tintagel then to Port Issac about 1/2hour run ,buses on tight schedule and go hell for leather!

You will enjoy Port I ssac as you can pick out allthe places where filming has taken place,but i dont think its a place to take your van Enjoy :-)

Guest Tracker

Many years ago I used to drive a large Luton van to deliver to Port Isaac and whilst in three years of so doing I didn't hit any overhanging buildings or badly parked cars there were plenty of scarred buildings on view.

Yes, it is possible to safely negotiate a motorhome through Port Isaac but it might be a scary and potentially expensive venture and it could depend on how well or badly other vehicles are parked.

Not recommended - but that would not stop me from having another go!

Guest Peter James
I would not attempt Port Isaac beach/harbour car park in anything bigger than a car because you have to go through the old village. But the roads along the outskirts of the village are ok, and if you don't mind parking on the street, are only a short walk into Port Isaac.

We visited out of season in February. There was no problem getting there in our MH (27ft) and we just parked on the roadside as we entered the village. Sadly like a lot of cornish coastal villages most of the properties in the harbour area are holiday lets. The main community seem to live higher up the hill.Very pretty to visit. Hope you enjoy it.

We've been several times in our motorhome, which is 7.2m long and had no trouble reaching within easy walking distance of the village itself. In no way would I attempt to drive down the steep and narrow hill to the harbour, where there is no longer any parking allowed anyway. There is a small car park at the top (follow signs past a garage) but it soons fills up.

Last April, there was a car park just outside the village in a field, which was absolutely fine. Not sure it would be too good in wet weather, or even if it's still there.

Other times, we've found on-road parking spaces, and if you're there outside the main holiday season you'd be pretty sure to be OK. The one overriding piece of advice is NOT to attempt driving down to the harbour!

Last time we went, Martin Clunes and co were filming and it was a marvellous experience. He was so delightful, chatting to everyone, having his pic taken etc. It was for the first episode in the current series, where a chap falls off a ladder.

Hope you have a great time there. We love. The food in the 'school' is pretty good too!

mikemoss - 2011-11-04 11

In no way would I attempt to drive down the steep and narrow hill to the harbour, where there is no longer any parking allowed anyway.

Last April, there was a car park just outside the village in a field, which was absolutely fine. Not sure it would be too good in wet weather, or even if it's still there.

!

I agree entirely with the opening comment.

The car park in the field was there in September this year. It was huge and there were a number of motorhomes parked there. It really is THE car park for visitors.

Archived