Compass Avanguarde Skirt Problem

danmar46

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a bit of help, I have a Compass Avonguarde Motorhome and the skirt directly below the change in roof height is rotting due to the back end being higher than the middle of the roof and the rain water collecting at the lowest point.

The skirt is made up of wood coated with aluminium and the rain water is being drawn up into the wood and it is now rotten.

Has anybody else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks

The plywood backing is only there to provide stiffness and stone protection to the aluminium panel and can be quite easlily replaced. Personally I wouldn't worry unless it is really rotten and falling apart, as it will continue to do its job. I have a bit of delamination on mine where spray from the wheelarch has got into the cut edges.

If you do replace it I suggest using marine ply and sealing the edges with epoxy resin or such like, then you won't have to do the job again..

Wooden vehicles eh. - who'd have 'em!

Thanks for the reply, my thoughts were to slip a thin piece of stainless steel between the aluminium and the wood, fix it with st st screws so the water cannot be drawn up into the wood, I notice that the aluminium does not cover the full thickness of the wood.

Archived