We've booked the ferry

Guest peter

To Santander in February for the month in Benicassim (Bonterra Park). We were going to drive down, but the thought of driving through Europe at that time of year was a bit daunting, what with the snow and all. We worked out how much more the ferry would be than driving (tunnel-diesel-overnights-road tolls etc) and it works out at about £100. So, it's a no brainer really, especially as we have never been to Spain let alone drive there. We will be driving back though, but as that will be in March and we will have more time, plus the weather should be better.

You will have a great experience on the Ferry Peter. Having done that ferry journey a number of times even the old ship had excellent stabilisers and the new one I assume you will be on is apparently even better in this regard. But I would suggest you have some Stugeron as if the weather is bad - and Syd is quite correct - It can be very bad - the journey is a long one.

That said – the worst bit seemed to be the rounding Brittany – the Bay of Biscay further south was relatively calm on all occasions. On one occasion we had a meal as soon as we were underway and then went to watch a film – Jurassic Park III – the rough seas throwing the ship about made for a great impact during the plane crash sequence!

If you can and the weather is kind – do spend some time in Santander Peter – it is a wonderful place. I would also recommend checking out Potes in the Picos de Europa – the journey through the mountains to Potes from the coast is spectacular, and Potes itself a small but great place.

http://www.spain.info/en/ven/otros-destinos/potes.html

However, February is not the best time and you may well find snow in some quantity. But if mild, a trip on the cable car at Fuente De is well worth it – tho in Feb you will need some serious thermals!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Fuente+de&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACAW_ENUK456&biw=1280&bih=538&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LeC4TvX1IIiY8QPAqPy4Bw&sqi=2&ved=0CFEQsAQ

Northern Spain or Green Spain is a fantastic place that is often missed by those who get off the ferry and immediately travel south.

pkc - 2011-11-08 8:41 AM

Clive is right, the worst bit is around Brittany, several reports of gassings in the area, lock your cabin door. :-)

Gas? Or is it the all-pervading background hint of eud de vomit from suffering land-lubbers? :-)

Sounds like a great trip though Peter so here's hoping for posted reports...

Bob

malc d - 2011-11-08 9:53 AM

Never mind the gas.

Pirates are a bigger threat.

:-(

Absolutely, reports coming through that Somali pirates are converting thier Tesco vouchers to extend thier range.

Have a great trip Peter. :-(

Thanks for all the good wishes and tips. We will be a bit early getting to spain so will have a few days to have a look round the area before going south, weather permitting of course. Getting a bit sea sick has got to be better than worrying about ploughing through snow in france and germany.

Bennicassim is a great place to be, you will miss the Fiesta of St Antonio as it is in Jan, Paella in the streets, parades ,Bull Ring, animal blessings etc. super sea front and prom in Benni, great to cycle along, Super market held weekly in town, short walk to Lidl from your site, a Mercadonna store right outside the site, better one at the top of town we think, go to the Monastery at the top of town ,wine tasting and a guided tour.Have a coach trip to Valencia, great City, disused Railway track to cycle along at Benni,Go to the Pensionista, in the town centre, it is a Spanish Social club, all the Campers go there for Coffee and Brandy on Thursdays , [ Market Day ] very cheap and good fun, you can get tours from here too.We used to use Camping Azahar, just long the road from Bonterra, more open and Sunny and less regulated we thought..Great walks to the Mountains through the Orange Groves in Benni Castellon is a good bike ride from Benni, huge market held there too., WOW I am getting the urge to go back and I was recently telling myself that I was fed up with going to Spain, Have a great time Malc.

peter - 2011-11-08 9:26 PM

Thanks for all the good wishes and tips. We will be a bit early getting to spain so will have a few days to have a look round the area before going south, weather permitting of course. Getting a bit sea sick has got to be better than worrying about ploughing through snow in france and germany.

I would just mention that if you are going to Spain by ferry to avoid ploughing through snow in Germany, there could be something wrong with your sat-nav

(lol)

Archived