Sky Scam

CliveH

Some months ago we were looking to update our broadband and as sky subscribers we found what was on offer from Sky a good deal. So when a chap arrived from Sky we assumed that it was due to our enquiry to them as he new we were Sky subscribers and had our details.

After a 20 min briefing which seemed to confirm all that we had researched we went ahead and completed an order form for a Sky HD box, broadband and free local calls package – all at a cost of £52.40 a month. This was a fair deal as we were paying about £30 a month for non HD Sky and £26 for BT Broadband with all calls being charged.

Two days later the HD box arrived and we waited for the Sky router for the broadband. It never came so I rang Sky and was told that we had signed up for an HD package only and that the cost would be £52.40 for that alone.

I said how can this be? – I have the copy order here and then I opened it and to my amazement the middle two sections of the order form had been crossed out leaving just the HD section and the DDM clear with our instruction to collect £52.40.

When I recall what happened at the time – I think the Scam worked by our completing the form then being distracted with the brochure such that the Sky representative could cross out the relevant sections, he then handed the document back folded so that we could not see and referred to the help line numbers on the back of the form. We stupidly did not check the form at this stage because only seconds before we had signed it!

So we complained and were told that a full investigation would take place but that it would be an internal one and that we would not be told the outcome but that if we did not activate the new HD box all would remain the same.

Five months later we get a letter from Sky stating that as per our agreement they will be collecting an extra £10 per month for the Sky HD box. So we asked them

“what agreement and what about our complaint?”

The response was “What complaint?” and a few emails that said absolutely nothing! – see the latest below:-

Dear Mr H

Customer Account Number: 210052XXX

Thank you for your email about the Sky Services.

I was disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered with Sky services and in particular the lack of consideration and assistance you were given when you contacted us. Please be assured that this is in no way typical of the level of service you are entitled to expect as a Sky subscriber.

As a company which very much values its customers, Sky does invest considerable resources in staff training and monitoring procedures to maintain the quality of our customer service. All members of Sky staff are made fully aware of their responsibility to be courteous and helpful in dealing with any customer and conduct of the sort you describe from staff within the organisation is clearly not acceptable.

Your experiences will be used to help us address some obvious training needs with the objective of ensuring such circumstances cannot reoccur. I am therefore most grateful that you have taken the time to write to bring these matters to our attention.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Customer Service team on 08442 41 41 41, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

……………………………………………..

So a true classic fob off. None of our issues have been dealt with and the original complaint details are on file, but they ignored it.

It has now been ping-ponging back an fourth and I am about to issue a Subject Access Request under the Data protection Act to get to the bottom of it all – ok so it will cost me £10, but these things cost the firm concerned far far more.

The lesson I have learned from this is to accept the paperwork after any transaction AND GO THROUGH IT IN DETAIL – had I done this I would have picked up the scam at the time.

As for Sky – we have been customer for 17 years – but quite possibly not for much longer.

I think you'll find it has already been on Watchdog a few months ago.

If not then it was certainly on a similar kind of programme on TV, I remember quite clearly the detail of folding the paperwork to hand it back to the customer.

Keith.

Because of how much I pay to BT for line rental and broadband I've been looking at the Sky option. Jeeeez just to understand all the options of different boxes, programme packages, broadband options etc. does my head in. Mentioning head that's what I've done, knocked it on the head.

All their blurb made it sound so much cheaper than what I'm paying but when added up it's double and that's without the HD, films or sport channels.

Hi,

Many years ago I had cause to write to complain about a bag of crisps I had purchased, having found a piece of wire in the packet

After a few weeks I received a reply stating that following an investigation etc etc.

A few weeks later a colleague in the office had cause to write to the same company. because his daughter had found a piece of wood in her lunch time crisps.

After a few weeks he received a reply stating that following an investigation etc etc.

Yes, my colleague's letter was identical to mine except where mine referred to metal his referred to wood.

In other words a Standard Reply letter and I think that is what you have received Clive a Standard Reply letter, except in your case no trouble has been taken to personalise it to your particular enquiry

I totally agree that it is difficult to work out the various packages that these TV companies offer

Keithl - 2011-11-08 9:21 AM

I think you'll find it has already been on Watchdog a few months ago.

If not then it was certainly on a similar kind of programme on TV, I remember quite clearly the detail of folding the paperwork to hand it back to the customer.

Keith.

No, actually I have to admit to being wrong :'(

It was actually a posting right here on Chatterbox by none other than CliveH on 19th July 2011 which I read.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24436&posts=1

I remembered where I had read the comment on folding the paper and as the search facility now works it was an easy matter of turning up the right thread.

Keith.

We had a pack of salt that was moist and hence no use. My wife rang up to complain. Sorry they said chuck it away and we will send you some vouchers for five time the value of the pack which they did by first class post the same day. That's what I call consumer service. Well done Saxo.

We bought a bottle of wine with glass particles in, we notified trading standers who took the bottle & had it analysed. Yes its definitely glass came the reply we will pursue the matter.

I think there's more to this pursuing business than meets the eye, as this was several years ago

• 2 weeks later...

In frustration at Sky giving us the run around - we resorted to something that has worked for us and a number of clients in the past - we submitted a "Subject Access Request" to Sky under the Data Protection Act.

How this works is you write enclosing a £10 cheque (or postal order if you do not want the firm in question to have your bank details) and state that under the DPA you want copies of "every file you hold on me be it computer, paper, audio or any other filing system you use".

Not only does this give you copies of all the documentation you need to prove your case (assuming you have one) but it also ties the company up in knots time wise as a) the y have to find all your files however they are stored, b) copy them and c) send them to you.

The company or organisation concerned then has 40 days to reply.

The result was received in 10 days and we got our £10 cheque back, a telephone call of profuse apologies followed up with a letter enclosing our £10 cheque and confirming that we now have a credit applied to our account for the disputed sum and the confirmation in writing that our contract has reverted to what it was before.

The credit will offset much of the next DDM to be collected.

I quote "Once again Mrs H please accept my apologies for the time taken to resolve the issues experienced".

Good result. But a great shame that Sky saw fit to employ representative capable of fraud and then ignore our legitimate complaint when his fraudulent act was discovered.

Archived