garage cycle rack without drilling?

andy mccord

Andy,

How about fixing a 'Garage Plus' to a baseboard or timber battens that you simply slide into your garage then restrain the whole thing with straps?

That way you could slide it part out to load the bikes or even remove it completely when not in use. The best of both worlds.

Keith.

Don't assume that you need a rack in a garage. In our current motorhome's garage, and previous ones, I utilised existing brackets and framework etc to slot straps round to form loops and then used those to secure the bikes in transit with bungies and/or ratchet straps. We also used to remove the front wheel off the bikes (quick release type) and stood them on the forks which made them more stable too.

One thing I would suggest you do though if you intend to put the bikes in the garage all the time, is to change the pedals for folding ones - makes it much easier to put them in and out as they don't snag and/or damage each other.

I vote for bungees attached to existing points as well. I restrain my bike(s) against the rear garage wall, using lengths of foam pipe-lagging around the forks, etc. to protect the contact points.

I investigated the idea of an internal rack, but when I measured up I realised it would severely restrict access to, and use of the space in the garage area for all the outdoor stuff and other items that go in there.

The racks themselves take up some of the room, but also position the bikes such that they really eat into the space.

On my previous 'van I used to butt the bikes up against the spare wheel (which was hung on the internal rear wall) and attach the bungees to that. The current 'van has rails and eye-bolts to which I can attach the bungees.

With the appropriate tension in the elastic, it provides very secure location.

Hi Andy

I could not find the dimensions of the Fiamma rack for M/H Garage, but the Omnistor equivelent appears smaller & it should be possible to secure it by strapping to the Lashing Rails instead of drilling the Garage Floor. This would also allow you to remove the Rack if not in use or it also folds when not in use.

http://campingequipmentshop.co.uk/index.php/omnistor-omni-bike-carrier-thule-omni-bike-sport-garage-2-bikes-18800400/p_262.html

I think you'll find that simply 'lashing' the rack will not secure it enough, it will still move around, especially when it has the bikes attached to it. Even racks attached to the rear of a motorhome flex lot and they are usually very well attached.

Unless the rack is securely fastened to the floor and/or wall, it will be much better not to us one at all. Having used the 'bungie' method for many years, I can certainly vouch for how secure it is - the bikes can't 'sway' at all, as they can on a rack as it flexes or moves from side to side either, especially if you remove the front wheels as we do which the only take about 10 seconds per bike to re-fit and clip the brake bracket back into place.

andy mccord - 2011-11-09 10:57 AMDoes anyone know of a 2 bike rack that fits internally into a garage, That only fastens down on lashing points please, im loathe to drill anywhere in the garage for obvious reasonsRegardsAndy

Is the attached any good for you?

looks like it can be fixed to railings - that is if you have railings in your garage.

andy mccord - 2011-11-09 10:57 AMDoes anyone know of a 2 bike rack that fits internally into a garage, That only fastens down on lashing points please, im loathe to drill anywhere in the garage for obvious reasonsRegardsAndy

I tried to put a photo from a bike rack system that does not need floor drilling - well thats how it looks in the Hymer book. Fixes to slots in railings, of course thats if you have railing system.

could not up load the file due to a system error on the Out & About" server.

If you e-mail me - not PM on this site - as I'm not often about, I'll send you the file to see if it will be of any use to you.

Hope I can be of use or help to you.

Thai Bry - 2011-11-10 12:25 AM

I tried to put a photo from a bike rack system that does not need floor drilling - well thats how it looks in the Hymer book. Fixes to slots in railings, of course thats if you have railing system.

could not up load the file due to a system error on the Out & About" server.

If you e-mail me - not PM on this site - as I'm not often about, I'll send you the file to see if it will be of any use to you.

Archived