Thoughts on cleaning MH roof...?

pepe63xnotuse

Sorry...it's this old chestnut again.. :$

Although I clean our roof several times a year,due to the fact we are surrounded by trees(..including a particularly vindictive pine thing,which seems to rejoice in dropping needles into every window,skylight and moulding seam!)and the fact that we use a woodburning stove,means it's never the easiest of tasks..in fact it seems be becoming "less clean" each time I do it... :-S

I'm not sure whether it would be wise to use a polish as such,as it's starting to have a matt finish as it is.. and I don't want to end up removing what's left of any "outer glaze"...

Can anyone recommend something that's likey to remove any stains/marks but isn't too abrasive?

Also,once washed,what would people suggest I use to "seal" it with,to leave an "easier to clean" finish....?

Any "tips of the trade" out there..? ;-)

Thanks

Fenwicks motorhome cleaner. Mix in a bucket and chuck said bucket onto roof then use a long brush to clean then hose down. Could use autoglymn super resin polish after but it would be difficult to get to the center of the roof. Have you not thought of a motorhome roof cover as supplied by Protec etc that would keep all the sh**e off yer roof. :-D

PS - If you need a "T cut" type product for really bad fading or scratches etc then autoglymn paint restorer is a very good and less abrasive product.

So this "proper" caravan/MH cleaner stuff ,does actually work then..?

(..I'd always assumed it was just overpriced car shampoo/washing up liquid... (lol) )

I am seriously thinking of a cover now...I've toyed with the idea before but never actually got around to it...

Although I would still want to get it as clean as possible and apply some polish of sorts...I'll certainly look at the Autoglym products..thanks ;-)

(...that may be an early spring project now,as for that,I think I may look at borrowing a couple of scaffold towers,along with a couple of planks to span the roof...)

We keep using the van throughout the winter,on a pretty regular basis but it doen't take long for the roof to get covered in leaves and gunk.... :-S

Caravan cleaner from Aldi £2.99 a bottle works better than Fenwicks. Local store had it in stock at the weekend. They usually have it on offer twice a year we always stock up when they have it.

Any good quality polish will seal the roof, preferably one without silicon in it.

Clean it with something like Fenwicks Motorhome Cleaner then polish it with a good quality marine polish. We use Star Bright with PTFE which is expensive but just about the best available. If the roof has dull almost dusty appearance then the first time you will need to use a marine cleaner/polish combination to remove the bloom. Hard work this but well worth the effort. Having done this, even though it will at this stage look good, follow it up with a coat straight polish.

Hi Pepe, it seems as if you live in a similar situation to us.

We're surrounded by sycamore trees and next door has a huge conifer that distributes seeds and stuff profusely.

Our 'van was 5 years old when we got it last year and when I looked atop in autumn, the roof was really grimey and had no sheen at all.

I gave it a good wash with Autoglym shampoo and then (after a query on this forum) bought some Meguiar's One Step Boat/RV Cleaner Wax Liquid. It was a bit tough applying this for the first time, a bit like using T-cut, but it's specially formulated for gel-coated GRP surfaces. Once applied and polished off, there was a lovely shiny surface.

Apart from one hose down in Spring, I haven't washed or cleaned the 'van all year.

Last week, after many trips on the road, I decided to give the 'van a good wash. I looked atop again and though there wasn't much shine, it was only slightly grubby.

I washed the 'van with the Autglym, including the roof.

Next day wasn't fit to do anything and so the following day I decided to repolish.

Unfortunately, the starlings have just flown back in for their winter season and after a flock of (in my estimation) 10,000 or so had flown over the 'van, there was quite a collection of birdlime (to put it politely *-) ).

However, this was easily washed off with the hose because of the previous days shampooing.

Once dried, I gave the roof another going over with the Meguiar's and this time it was very easy to apply and didn't require any hard rubbing at all.

So, she's now gleaming again and ready to take whatever the weather (and birds) throw at her.

I reckon It'll last another year before requiring the same treatment and can't complain at having to do this only once a year.

Incidentally, I use an extending ladder leant up against the sides of the 'van, protected by two big lumps of foam where contact occurs. Being short myself, I find it hard to reach the middle of the roof, so then place step ladders inside the 'van and access the rest through the Heki rooflight. :-D

One other thing I do, is keep the 'van parked on a slope (facing upwards on ramps) so that any water runs straight off the roof. This stops the water ponding and tending to turn green and mucky.

Hope some of the above is of use to you.

Happy cleaning. :D

Thanks for all of the advice..

Well...it certainly sounds like it's worth making the effort and using decent products then.... ;-)

(..although,I still think it'll probably be a spring job now..as I've left it a bit late).

I may just look at getting a lightweight cover/cap in the mean time though....

Thanks again

The secret to keeping the roof clean is to keep it a smooth as possible, making it hard for all the nasty stuff to adhere. I use Meguiar's Gel coat restorer, applied by hand then followed by a good wax polish ( carnauba based for longer life). There is some good advise give at http://www.expert-mobile-car-detailing.com/gelcoat-restoration.html As for using a cover think very carefully before hand as if the motorhome is in an exposed position, you could end up with a badly damaged motorhome where the cover moves in the wind. I have seen motorhomes where the cover has worn through the paint/ gelcoat on corners and edges.

When I had a 'Monocoque' fibreglass Autosleeper, i used ' Farecla' polish/paste as recommended by Autosleeper, and it worked Fine.

i now have an Autocruise coachbuilt which is Fibreglass over Styrofoam, I use an ordinary Car Shampoo to get the van clean (including the roof) then I use :

http://www.greasedlightning.co.uk/viewproducts.php?set=32

Showroom Shine.

I was VERY sceptical, of all the claims about it, but i tried it,and it works, On the roof it stops the 'dreaded green algae' from getting a hold, and it doesn't need any hard rubbing (unlike Farecla which needed plenty of 'elbow grease'). only needs 're-doing' every 4 months or so, very easy to apply and polish off. Don't think i'd clean a very dirty car/motorhome with it ,i'd wash it first. works for me.

Ray

ps get the 'special offers' off of ideal world,don't pay any more than £10 a litre.

I'm going to dissent. Clean it by all means, to remove bird lime and other deposits, and especially any industrial pollutants, that can be harmful, but I wouldn't polish it. It depends a bit what it is made of, but all will dull because of exposure to UV light. I suspect yours is pre-coated aluminium sheet with various (usually badly designed) sealed joints around the openings and the perimeter. The dulling of the paint coating can only be removed by removing the surface layer of the paint, which is what the polishes will do, and so leave you with a bit less paint. This will continue each time you polish it.

Bear in mind that the greatest risk to its integrity is all those joints, not the shine on the main sheeting. Its greatest enemy is UV light which, apart from dulling the paint, is also breaking down the sealants. So, protection from sunlight is, IMO, far more beneficial than any amount of cleaning or polishing. I would also add that when you try to polish a motorhome roof you take two risks. One is the amount of pressure you will exert on the roof while doing so, which is liable to flex it, so straining all those pesky joints. The second is that the roof is liable to be slippery, and more so after you polish it, so you risk slipping and falling onto the roof, which it is not designed to withstand, or off it, which you are not designed to withstand! :-)

So, I'd say clean as necessary, and the leave well alone, but protect as much as possible from UV. A shine is only cosmetic. Modern paint systems on vehicles are remarkably good. Our last car sat on the drive for eight years. I cleaned it maybe twice per year when it began to look dirty, but always hosed out the wheel arches. I may have polished it a few times, but very infrequently, and certainly not more than once per year, usually just to remove hedgerow sap stains. When we traded it I spruced it up with a bit of Autoglym, and it was almost as good as new. My personal view is that more damage is done to car finishes by incessant polishing than by benign neglect. I apply the same reasoning to the van, which is now four years old and gets cleaned once in spring, and once in autumn. I do as described above with the roof, and usually use a Fenwicks cleaner in the wash water for the rest, just in spring. Then, I use Autoglym on the sap streaks and any black streaking, and have twice attacked the lot, excluding the roof, just to even out the gloss.

My concession to cosseting is a full front "bib" type cover, and a roof cover, both breathable, that go on over winter, because it then stands around for about a month at a time, the roof ponds behind those pesky joints, and I don't like the idea of a lake of ice sitting on its roof! :-)

Mel B - 2011-11-12 8:14 PM

Brian, what cover do you use on the roof?

After a lot of digging and delving, Hindermann, from Van Comfort. The front cab cover is the same make.

If you decide on both, to stop water cascading off the roof cover and under the top edge of the cab cover, make sure you order a sufficiently long roof cover. The extra length required to accommodate the curve of the front (over cab) roof profile was surprisingly deceptive.

Someone lent me one to try and it was all but useless so I gave up and went to hand polishing which was both quicker and easier. Proper professional polishers as used by the trade do work very well. They can be hired or of you want to buy one most good boat chandeliers sell them as they are almost a must for use on boats. I can't remember the price but whilst they are more expensive than the Halfords offerings being very simple machines they not exactly megger expensive.

Guest 1footinthegrave
tugga - 2011-11-13 1:18 PM

A bit off topic, but has anyone ever used a battery operated hand held polisher on their motorhome roofs and sides?

I am thinking christmas presents.

Useless in a word, if your thinking Christmas presents I'd suggest a couple of bottles of something nice to drink ! !

Please do not use a machine polisher on your motorhome. Remember that the paintwork on the caravan side of motorhomes is VERY thin so hand polish only.

Its not very often that I disagree with Brian but in this case I strongly disagree, a shiny motorhome will always be easy to clean, keep clean, less likely to go dull. You cannot compare motorhomes with cars when it comes to paintwork, most cars have layers of lacquer protecting them from the elements, motorhomes (coachbuilts) do not (even the cab paintwork can be on the thin side).

Guest 1footinthegrave
Off topic I know, but why oh why can't M/home roofs be designed like a "hat" that sits over front, back, and side walls, they could easily be made in a one piece GRP moulding with a fall from front to back. This would help to keep them clean, and eliminate leaks from roof joints.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-11-14 10:15 PMOff topic I know, but why oh why can't M/home roofs be designed like a "hat" that sits over front, back, and side walls, they could easily be made in a one piece GRP moulding with a fall from front to back. This would help to keep them clean, and eliminate leaks from roof joints.
You mean like ours was 21 years ago..............progress eh?(lol)

fjmike - 2011-11-14 7:51 PM

Please do not use a machine polisher on your motorhome. Remember that the paintwork on the caravan side of motorhomes is VERY thin so hand polish only.

Its not very often that I disagree with Brian but in this case I strongly disagree, a shiny motorhome will always be easy to clean, keep clean, less likely to go dull. You cannot compare motorhomes with cars when it comes to paintwork, most cars have layers of lacquer protecting them from the elements, motorhomes (coachbuilts) do not (even the cab paintwork can be on the thin side).

Disagree away Mike! Only my opinion. I'm not a shiny - or necessarily even clean - van (or car) person. IMO, a waste of time. No sooner is it all clean and shiny than I drive a few miles down a wet lane and its dirty again. Beyond a certain level of road grime the rest doesn't show - unless you hit cow pats, or a tractor has spread the verge across the road. Then the brush and hose may come out. In winter, if the roads have been salted, I usually hose off the car wheel arches, but the van stays put until rain has washed the salt off and the roads are dry again. Lazy sod! :-D

Archived