Skiing trip in an Autotrail

peterjl

Hi

We used to go sking in our Hobby which was winterised and worked excellently in temperatures down to -15C for extended periods.

When we came to change we could not find layout we wanted in a winterised m/home (<6m and NO fixed bed) so we accepted would never go skiing as Maggies knees were causing poblems.

Never say never. We both would like to return to the mountains in winter even if Maggie cannot risk skiing (she skied for 3 years after Doc said stop!).

I wondered if anyone else had taken an Autotrail, or a non winterised m/home to areas of extended low temperatures; how have they coped, any advice? ( say -15c for a week)

I realise i cannot put water in system but not an issue as i would use sites and get electric power to supplement heating (i used to do this anyway).

Any thoughts or issues i need to consider? I have just started thinking about this.

Regards

Peter

peterjl - 2011-11-10 8:46 PM

Hi

We used to go sking in our Hobby which was winterised and worked excellently in temperatures down to -15C for extended periods.

When we came to change we could not find layout we wanted in a winterised m/home (<6m and NO fixed bed) so we accepted would never go skiing as Maggies knees were causing poblems.

Never say never. We both would like to return to the mountains in winter even if Maggie cannot risk skiing (she skied for 3 years after Doc said stop!).

I wondered if anyone else had taken an Autotrail, or a non winterised m/home to areas of extended low temperatures; how have they coped, any advice? ( say -15c for a week)

I realise i cannot put water in system but not an issue as i would use sites and get electric power to supplement heating (i used to do this anyway).

Any thoughts or issues i need to consider? I have just started thinking about this.

Regards

Peter

Peter, never taken my van skiing but do spend at least 8/9 weeks skiing every winter and spent 10 seasons in the alps , some years ago I admit. I see no reason why, with care, over choice of time and resort you should not take the van, a friend of mine does with his Swift. Go in March and choose a resort where you can park up at low altitude and get the lifts up. For example, the place I know best and still go, Saint Gervais Le Bain, the village is at 800 meters, many vans park in the ski life carpark, although their is an aire. The temperature in March rarely gets much lower than -4 during the night and can rise to +15, or higher in direct sun, in the day. The skiing in March has been good for years now so do not be scared of by people saying you have to go really high. Their are many resorts like this and even during January the temps at around 800m rarely reach the -15 you are quoteing. It would be better if you stay on a site with hookup so you can get water easily and run heating on their electrics.

Hi Peter

Like Rupert, we don't use the Van when I going Skiing.

But there is some useful info on the following.

Peter recently posted this info:-

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25523&posts=8

Some good info here, by Kevin Batchelor, ( who was a regular contributor to the forum, but does not appear to have been around for a while) he is also the MMM Europe Skiing consultant :-

http://www.motorhomeski.com/info-and-tips

Try the search using "Batch" as author & all posts, for his previous posts.

Although I would assume you will be familiar with the majority of the info, having previously used a winterised Hobby.

Thank you for your comments which are very helpful in crystalising (like in snow) our thinking.

Its funny how you can not see the obvious - we always used to ski in Jan or early Feb hence the low temperatures we sometimes experienced. I never thought about March - thats a brilliant idea.

Thank you

Peter

Our Auto Trail tends to freeze up when temperature gets to around -8. Fresh water pipe pick up pipe from tank is not protected. Tank is poorly protected with only 3mm insulation and is under slung about 10" off the ground. Waste water outlet is not protected in any way and will freeze at a hight temperature.

Add salt to water prior to pulling plug. Draw fresh water from a plastic container stored in the van.

Good Luck

This experience is from motorhoming in UK in winter and not from the Ski slopes of Wherever!

Archived