Gaslo system Is there a downside?

LinofDe

Guest Peter James
Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-13 10:06 AM

Peter James - 2011-11-11 3:00 PM

slightly off topic but an underslung gas tank sounds extremely dangerous to me, especially on modern vans with low ground clearance, and debris in the road you could run over.

I refill my own 907 cylinders, but I would be terrified of the idea of an underslung gas tank 8-)

In the years BG (Before Gaslow), when user-refillable 'bottles' were, to all intents and purposes, unobtainable in Europe, refillable LPG reservoirs on leisure-vehicles were fixed underslung 'tanks'. I've never heard (or read) of an accident relating to such tanks caused by external damage.

If a leisure-vehicle has limited ground clearance, then it's plain that this fact needs to be taken into account if it's planned that an LPG tank be fitted to that vehicle. So I don't believe you need be concerned that Auto-Sleepers or Murvi will have ignored this, as providing adequate ground clearance beneath an LPG tank will be such a glaringly obvious requirement (and lack of it so obvious to a potential buyer) that they will have ensured it's always present.

(Would you really be "TERRIFIED of the idea of an underslung gas tank"? I could understand you having serious concerns about possible lack of ground clearance, but hardly of the basic principle involved as it has such a long motorhome-related historical background. Me, I'd be much warier (though far from terrified) of unauthorised people refilling exchange-only gas bottles than of professionally-installed underslung LPG tanks.)

Sounds like the potholes in your roads are not as deep as ours

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peter James - 2011-11-17 8:13 AM

As a parish councillor for a very rural area the word "potholes" is seared into my soul!

In fact, following an exercise where members of our council traipsed around all the roads and produced maps detailing the damage, then (for the umpteenth time) accompanied representatives from our County Council and the organisation in charge of road repairs on an assessment trip, the pothole problem in our area isn't currently too bad. After this winter, though, I suspect we shall be back to Square One.

Plainly, if an underslung LPG tank is installed with no consideration being given to ground clearance, there may be problems later. The lowest photo on the following shows a pair of unprotected LPG tanks, but (as it looks like there's a 'reasonable' amount of ground clearance) the installation will probably be OK in normal use.

http://www.towtal.co.uk/motorhome-accessories/lpg-for-cooking-heating/

Fitting an underslung LPG tank means that no gas-locker is needed. This can be advantageous for a motorhome manufacturer, particularly for PVC designs. Retro-fitting a tank is sometimes done to free up an existing gas-locker to provide extra storage. This is mentioned in the "Downsizing Dos and Don'ts" letter on page 17 of December 2011's MMM magazine. The writer does highlight that the retro-fitted 25-litre tank "fits snugly up between the chassis members, safely out of the way".

sshortcircuit - 2011-11-16 11:03 PM

Mel B - 2011-11-16 8:02 PM

sshortcircuit - 2011-11-15 8:11 PM

Mel B - 2011-11-15 7:58 PM

sshortcircuit - 2011-11-15 7:49 PM

As printed on the boarding pass with no reference to motorhome, motorcaravan(?) or campingcar.

... when your cylinder leaks and you set the ferry on fire, can I be a fly on the wall when the 'powers that be' are interviewing you ... I'd really love to hear you use that defence!!!! 8-)

As usual Mel you jump to the wrong conclusion.

Eh???? Where did that come from??????

Don't you read the posting and do you not retract when you incorrectly post and it would be more accurate if you quoted me in full?

"As usual Mel you jump to the wrong conclusion. I only reported the facts as I read on the boarding pass and passed no opinions."

I was referring to your 'as usual' comment, hence my only quoting that part ...if you only post short snippets of info etc without any other explanation it is difficult to see what your exact meaning is. :-S

I'd love to know why you felt the need to make the 'as usual' comment about me though ... so I'm not sure what you're problem is but there obviously is one ... :-|

The following rules are taken from a zoo website and perhaps could be adapted for the O&AL forum?

1. Please do not poke at the animals, throw objects in the animal areas or harass the animals. This is harmful and may cause serious medical problems.

2. Please do not run or scream through the zoo, gardens or hang on trees! Remember you do not like to be screamed at and neither do the animals. Besides, you may disturb other visitors as well as frighten the animals.

3. Peacocks roam the zoo freely. Please enjoy watching these beautiful birds. Please do not chase, feed or touch them.

Guest Peter James
Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-17 9:17 AM

Peter James - 2011-11-17 8:13 AM

As a parish councillor for a very rural area the word "potholes" is seared into my soul!

In fact, following an exercise where members of our council traipsed around all the roads and produced maps detailing the damage, then (for the umpteenth time) accompanied representatives from our County Council and the organisation in charge of road repairs on an assessment trip, the pothole problem in our area isn't currently too bad. After this winter, though, I suspect we shall be back to Square One.

Plainly, if an underslung LPG tank is installed with no consideration being given to ground clearance, there may be problems later. The lowest photo on the following shows a pair of unprotected LPG tanks, but (as it looks like there's a 'reasonable' amount of ground clearance) the installation will probably be OK in normal use.

http://www.towtal.co.uk/motorhome-accessories/lpg-for-cooking-heating/

Fitting an underslung LPG tank means that no gas-locker is needed. This can be advantageous for a motorhome manufacturer, particularly for PVC designs. Retro-fitting a tank is sometimes done to free up an existing gas-locker to provide extra storage. This is mentioned in the "Downsizing Dos and Don'ts" letter on page 17 of December 2011's MMM magazine. The writer does highlight that the retro-fitted 25-litre tank "fits snugly up between the chassis members, safely out of the way".

A mate used to work for the council here. He told me they just used to go out with a lorryload of tarmac every day and fill up any potholes they found. Then when privatisation took off every job had to be put out to competative tender. With all the beuracracy it took far longer for the pothole to be repaired, by which time it had grown to 3 times the size and cost 10 times as much to repair. But at least it makes more work for the injury claims lawyers *-)

Archived