House Insurance

hymer1942

Morning all, our insurance with Tesco allows 60 days away at one time, called Tesco to say we would be away for 67 days and they have come back with several "dos and donts". mostly they are fine but the point that has got te me is these restrictions [ for the want of another word ] apply to the whole 67 days away, and not just the extra 7 days. Has anyone come across this with another insurer, because I will be moving to another provider. I see this as really unfair. Barrie

Well, you knew the conditions when you bought the insurance. Insurance is a contract, and contracts have conditions. You now wish to break the conditions, and Tesco have advised you of the new conditions that will then apply. It is neither fair, not unfair, it is what happens when you seek to breach the conditions of a contract.

However, it is not terminal. You have three choices. Accept the conditions, and the risk they impose. Change your travel plans. Look for a more flexible insurance, cancel the Tesco insurance, and change.

We are insured through Comfort, and the period of absence, without strings, is negotiable for an increased premium. Our present choice is 90 days, but longer is possible.

Interesting as we are with Tesco now but we haven't had cause to go over the 60 day limit. Is it because you don't intend to have anyone 'staying' overnight in the property within the 60 days that is the problem? I thought that if you did, then the 60 days away were in effect 'reset'? Or have I got that wrong???

Hi Mel, We have the house visited twice each week at least. Thier stipulations are, CENTRAL HEATING ON, PROPERTY VISITED WEEKLY, AND £1000 EXCESS. [ Our excess is normally £100 ] Now if the latter only applied for the overrun of 7 days I would have no complaints, but they say it applies to the whole 67 days. Which I think unfair and will take up with Tesco head office on Monday.

Nice neck of the woods you live in, I am from Hedon. Barrie

I was reading our policy just yesterday from Direct Line and its 60 days. What its says though is that after 60 days your still insured but if your burgled or there is a burst pipe etc your not covered. I guess if the house fell down or there was a fire you would still be covered.

We were away five months this summer and at the time covered with the AA and I suspect there would have been a limit. Cant say it worried me to be honest. Our neighbour goes in every week and whos to say somebody hasnt stayed overnight once or twice anyway. How would they know it was unoccupied?

I do worry in the winter though but last year I drained all the water and pipes but you cant get water out of radiator pipes (I dont think)

Barryd999 - 2011-11-16 12:14 PM

I was reading our policy just yesterday from Direct Line and its 60 days. What its says though is that after 60 days your still insured but if your burgled or there is a burst pipe etc your not covered. I guess if the house fell down or there was a fire you would still be covered.

We were away five months this summer and at the time covered with the AA and I suspect there would have been a limit. Cant say it worried me to be honest. Our neighbour goes in every week and whos to say somebody hasnt stayed overnight once or twice anyway. How would they know it was unoccupied?

Because, most probably, if you were burgled, your neighbour would notify the police, as well as you, as soon as they discovered the burglary. The police report, which the insurers would require, would record that they were called by a neighbour, because the owners were away. So are you really asking your neighbour to lie on your behalf, to conceal the duration of your absence?

If they discovered a flood, what are they supposed to do, call the insurer for authorisation to get repairs under way in your absence (and lie on your behalf about the length of your absence), or just get the water turned off and leave the house locked and wet for your return?

The simpler answer, surely, is to get yourselves the right insurance? It exists, it eliminates the risks and, IMO, it would be far kinder to your neighbour.

I used to have house insurance with the CC and they came up with the same palaver when we asked for more than 30 days. Aftr all when you are retired it is not unreasonable, They wanted a visit to the property every week and although I explained my family live either 100 or 200 miles away they would not budge. My neighbours are all elderly and I would not wish to have them worrying whether they had left a light on, or shut the door etc. So, we changed insurers to one that gives us 90 days or extra if advised. I am also fortunate in that I live in an apartment block so the buildings have a common policy, so absence by any us does not affect it. I only worry about contents.

Archived