Shocking Ride! (Ducato 230)

neillking

Many thanks. Other sources are coming back with 1327748080 as the current version of the shocks for this vehicle so yes we're definitely making real progress there. Monroe haven't yet answered but it does look as if the V2507 will be the one and I'm grateful too for the Sachs reference and the info about spacers - I'll try to see those under all the rustproofing gunk! 

I think others are being misled by the 'bumpstop' description, these Fiat 'Rubber Pads' are very tall items quite unlike the normal bump stop and sit just above the rear springs, to my eye they are plainly spring assisters - they're over £50 each so def more than simple rubber buffers! I believe the issue with the bumpstops is that they've seen 80K of fairly hard use and no longer function as they should, much like the shocks. This worn-out component scenario is the most likely really, I just would like to replace only those components that will give the most 'bang for the buck' and to improve if possible on the original Fiat offering, that now seems to be aftermarket shocks and the bumpstops or airides in their place. 

We don't overload the van nor its back axle, the paper upgrade to MTPLM was made with proper advice but isn't used routinely. As an ex Firestone, Goodyear & Avon technical employee I do run the right tyre pressures for the circumstances (used to be techie on Firestone UK airbags (airide) too so I understand pressure issues on those as well). Nevertheless I'm very grateful for all the help offered even the bits that may not turn out to be most relevant in the end.

From personal experience (our van!) I'd say go for the air assisters. I DIY fitted them to ours (Transit base) in lieu of similar PU spring assisters to the ones you describe.

The effect was immediately noticeable. A slight increase in suspension compliance, coupled with less rear sway, reduced roll, and taughter handling on bends and especially roundabouts.

Coupled with this, I can adjust rear ride height to eliminate grounding (which was an actual, though very infrequent, problem), and to alter the fore and aft "stance" of the van. Before touching anything, I checked and noted the rear clearance with the van empty, and after fitting and fully loading, adjusted the pressures to give the same clearance, and noted the result.

I installed the simplest option, each air assister being individually inflated via valves in the L & R skirts, just behind the rear wheel arches. In this way, it would also be possible to compensate for uneven L to R loading, although that is not a problem we have. I carry a bicycle pump, and as the air volume in the bags is small, a couple of strokes every three months or so usually suffices to maintain pressure.

The units were supplied as a complete kit by Autovan Services of Wimborne, Dorset, and are made by Firestone: they are Drive-Rite Semi-Air Ride-Rite units (familiar? :-D). Fitting was straightforward, aided by good instructions. Hope this helps.

It does indeed, I'm quite tempted by the airide route especially since the bumpstop-assisters are like to be over £100 the pair! I was thinking of exactly that independent L/R setup with manual inflation to keep the cost down - I hadn't realised though that a simple bicycle pump could be used for occasional maintenance. 

A contact described his first budget 'semi-air' as a nightmare, the two sides were linked via an installed air line without any kind of isolation so he experienced bizarre rolling with displaced air from the compressed side offering extra lift to the unloaded side ... not nice at all! 

In fact, the pump is a "track pump" rather than the usual. The advantage is that it snaps onto the valve, rather than screwing on. The screw type tend to release air as you unscrew them, making hitting the required pressure frustrating. I have a pressure gauge with a built-in release valve that can be used to drop the tyre etc pressure while connected to the tyre valve. This makes setting the air-ride pressures much easier! Only about 1.5 BAR required. I was concerned that the single inflation point might have the characteristic you describe, and wanted to damp roll as much as possible. Now been in use two years, since when we have "done" Portugal, Greece, and France twice. About 12,500 miles on all kinds of roads, so a fair test! :-)

The spring assistor/bump stop is 1311826080 and is a standard part as fitted to many other models and again the later 02/06 ducato.

I think the citroen or pug no. is 5166.61

Not been able to trace exactly. lack of time, but may be the same as Firstline parts FSK6544...not sure.

You shoud get the right part somewhere for around £25 each.

Archived