Northern Lights Trip

mark hinde

We are thinking ahead to next year and wondered if anybody has taken their MH to Norway and travelled around, with a hope of seeing the Northern Lights. I am not too sure how far north one would have to go and whether that would make it more an Expedition rather than a two week touring holiday. We have a 12 year old Swift Kon-Tiki so its probably not kitted out for the possible extreme temperatures we would get, unless you can see the Northern Lights in the summer.

I understand that the best time to see the northern lights in Norway is from Sept to April.

I doubt if it would be very practical to go very far north in a motor home during those months.

I should think that most motorhomers go in the summer to see the midnight sun.

Guest Tracker

We've been right up to the Nordkapp as have several others on here but we went in June and it is a very long way (6000 miles in 6 weks!) on mainly reasonable but not always roads.

The winters are long and some of the roads we used had only opened up the week before with the probability that some of them would be snowed or frozen again before the Northern Lights 'season' got under way.

Obviously the further North you go the better the chances but also the worse the weather can get with cloudy skies sometimes for days at a time being the biggest problems - so I'm told.

On that basis we decided against taking the van up and we will, when we get round to it, either go on the Hurtigruten or fly to a Northerly hotel for a few days.

There is plenty of info and links on the Norwegian Tourist Board website.

Guest Tracker

We too have seen the Aurora from the North Coast of Scotland - in June - at around midnight when it was still not very dark but cloudless!

It was not spectacular as Auroras go but when you have never seen it before it was quite spellbinding and although we have been to Northern Scotland many times it was only the once that we saw it.

Agreed - not so far to go - but not so good either - although I've not tried the North Coast of Scotland in the bleak mid winter - and have no plans to do so!

mark hinde - 2011-11-14 1:22 PM

We are thinking ahead to next year and wondered if anybody has taken their MH to Norway and travelled around, with a hope of seeing the Northern Lights. I am not too sure how far north one would have to go and whether that would make it more an Expedition rather than a two week touring holiday. We have a 12 year old Swift Kon-Tiki so its probably not kitted out for the possible extreme temperatures we would get, unless you can see the Northern Lights in the summer.

We have just done a Norway trip and there was a lot of Snow around in the Mountains, as we passed the Arctic Circle the Snow was still very deep although the roads were clear, We only went as far North as Saltstraunem as that was as far as we wanted to go , it was a fantastic trip and hardly got dark,we never saw the Northern Lights as we were too late,,as it is a Winter sceptical...Travel and overnighting is very easy in Norway. Tolls double ,plus .if you are over 6 metres in length.

http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp23/malarth/NORWAY%20UP%20DOWN/?action=view¤t=0o9i87ujj-1.jpg

Tracker - 2011-11-14 2:07 PM

We too have seen the Aurora from the North Coast of Scotland - in June - at around midnight when it was still not very dark but cloudless!

It was not spectacular as Auroras go but when you have never seen it before it was quite spellbinding and although we have been to Northern Scotland many times it was only the once that we saw it.

Agreed - not so far to go - but not so good either - although I've not tried the North Coast of Scotland in the bleak mid winter - and have no plans to do so!

And your much less likely to run into a Polar Bear when wilding and wandering around in the dark. :-D

Guest Tracker
Barryd999 - 2011-11-14 4:56 PM

And your much less likely to run into a Polar Bear when wilding and wandering around in the dark. :-D

I doubt even the polar bears are as dour as some Scotsmen!

Archived