"Paint" coming off window frames

WhiteCheyenneMan

Guest Tracker

Now you know!

Did they say what sort of paint and did they give you a colour code reference so that you too can get 5 litres made up - should be enough!

Can you identify the maker of the windows (Seitz, Polyplastic - often somewhere on the window unit.), or can Autotrail tell you where they get them (you'd hope so - though you may need written authorisation from Autotrail to obtain such information from the maker if the colour is an Autotrail "special")? Then, ask the window maker what colour, and what paint.

It's possible that Auto-Trail have chosen to paint the window frames themselves (to obtain a desired colour effect) at the conversion stage, rather than buy in specially-coloured windows.

My Hobby's toilet-cassette-locker door-frame - an ordinary Thetford unit - has clearly been painted, presumably because the standard Thetford through-coloured plastic was not to Hobby's liking colour-wise. Auto-Trail's response suggests that they may have done the same, in which case contacting the window manufacturer won't be productive and it may well come down to getting a "local paint shop supplies company to mix a small quantity of paint to match."

WhiteCheyenneMan - 2011-11-15 2:21 PMJust washed my Cheyenne and noticed that a little of the grey paint/vinyl/? on one of the window frames is coming off.

Does anyone have any experience of this and, if so, have you found a good touch-up solution?

You don't mention how old your Cheyenne is. If it is within warranty then submit a claim.

RogerC - 2011-11-17 8:09 PM
WhiteCheyenneMan - 2011-11-15 2:21 PMJust washed my Cheyenne and noticed that a little of the grey paint/vinyl/? on one of the window frames is coming off.
Does anyone have any experience of this and, if so, have you found a good touch-up solution?
You don't mention how old your Cheyenne is. If it is within warranty then submit a claim.

2008  :-(

It looks like the current warranty is 10 years so possibly yours is still covered. It's worth a try and even if it is not under warranty you might have a case under consumer legislation regarding premature failure of the surface...ie...not fit for purpose.

RogerC - 2011-11-17 8:34 PM

It looks like the current warranty is 10 years so possibly yours is still covered. It's worth a try and even if it is not under warranty you might have a case under consumer legislation regarding premature failure of the surface...ie...not fit for purpose.

The 10-years warranty you mention is a "Body Construction Integrity Warranty" and details of it are given here:

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/index.php/warranty-terms-and-conditions

Prior to 2012 I think the equivalent Auto-Trail 'integrity' warranty was 5-years duration, but I'm doubtful that this would cover the type of window-frame defect that WhiteCheyenneMan has. If there were to be a warranty claim, it would probably need to be under the standard 'conversion' warranty (3 years?), but (assuming the Cheyenne is still within that warranty period) the policy document would need to be checked carefully to see what's actually covered paintwork-wise.

I hesitate to say this but, if Auto-Trail did paint the window-frames back in 2008 and the paint is now coming off one frame, then there's a fair chance the problem will show up on the remaining frames. Similarly, if Auto-Trail bought in windows with pre-coloured frames and one is now faulty, the fault may well be inherent in the others.

Given the price of a Cheyenne, I would have thought that this type of problem (as long as it's a one-off) ought to be easily resolvable via an Auto-Trail dealer and goodwill on Auto-Trail's side. If it turns out (God forbid!) that the rest of the windows start peeling and Auto-Trail are reluctant to assist, then that might be the time to explore the consumer legislation route.

I've checked the warranty and they're not covered. It's one year only, paint covered at Autotrail's discretion and only applies to the first owner, which we are not!! They were still back in the Dark Ages in early 2008!

The windows are Dometic, so I'll try them for paint details.

I should add that the seals on the window in question look a bit iffy, though it is not leaking and this may have caused the flaking of the paint. I can see any attempt at a warranty claim being rejected as 'hedge scraping' damage! It does have that look about it :-(

Archived