2004/5 Ducato Front Exhaust Pipe Replacement

enodreven

Hi,

My exhaust front pipe has just sprung a leak and needs replacing, and I notice on the engine end (manifold) the clamp appears to be sprung loaded anyone know how this comes apart as I am thinking of replacing the pipe myself but not sure how this clamp is secured any advice on how to dissconnect/reconnect this clamp and anything else I should be aware of when changing the front pipe would be very welcome

Thanks

Brian

The attached breakdown diagram for a similar vehicle should give you an idea of how the clamp is secured.

The diagram shows both a catalysed and non-catalysed front-pipe (and I believe the spring clamp was only fitted to the latter).

I have also recently seen reference to this elsewhere, and the fact that the person searching for the non-catalysed front pipe was told such a thing did not exist (though I had one fitted to my previous 'van, a 2005 build, so they do!).

I also understand that the spring clamp can prove somewhat difficult to remove.

(the Fiat part numbers are probably those relevant to your vehicle, but I wouldn't guarantee it.)

HTH

Ducato.JPG.c8f936e58cd1830974b7cac77851c004.JPG

laimeduck - 2011-11-16 1:13 PM

Robinhood - My Benimar is a 2004/5 Ducato & I would be interested in the link you used to get the parts info for Ducato bits & pieces?

I don't have any problems just might be useful in future!

:-D :-D

Reposting my response to a recent thread on shock absorbers:

====

If you want to find the OE (Fiat) part numbers fitted to your 'van, you may well be able to get details via the ePER system on the Fiat Forum site. (the version there covers vehicles up to mid-2005).

There is a good chance it will pull up the details for your particular vehicle (though beware the fact that there are sometimes options, and that some converters have made aftermarket changes).

Use:

http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/

then select ePER from the menu near the top; Accept "Go" on the next screen; Click on "Spare Parts" and select "Fiat Commerciali".

If you then enter your VIN in the appropriate box, all following use is tailored to your specific vehicle. You will first get basic vehicle details in response, and then, by selecting "next", be able to "drill down" through parts breakdowns (by category) which should be relevant to your particular vehicle.

Just click on the required category, and then on down through each structure to get diagrams and part numbers.

If you can get the OE part number, you can then check aftermarket suppliers for an equivalent.

====

Without putting in your VIN, you can do generic searches by vehicle type, but the results will be less tailored to your particular vehicle.

I have also manage to find, from time to time, newer versions hosted somewhere on the web, but they tend to disapear after a short while.

HTH

Guest 1footinthegrave

Ours is a non cat front pipe, here's one, have a word with your local friendly garage, very easy job if you've got your van up in the air............my bloke charged me £30 to fit it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCATO-2-8JTD-EXHAUST-FRONT-PIPE-04-2002-NON-CAT-/110378866016?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19b317d560#ht_1024wt_1074

You may be fortunate with the Fiat part nos and Vin for the front pipe but thereafter it can all change. Needed a new silencer and I thought about doing it myself but as MH was going in for cam belt asked garage to do it. After about 3 different systems from supplier, garage contacted local Fiat, "Oh, yes, with the Alto chassis, converters just cut exhaust and then fabricate to suit", straightforward job then.

Was I glad I had not attempted myself.

sshortcircuit - 2011-11-16 6:25 PM

You may be fortunate with the Fiat part nos and Vin for the front pipe but thereafter it can all change. Needed a new silencer and I thought about doing it myself but as MH was going in for cam belt asked garage to do it. After about 3 different systems from supplier, garage contacted local Fiat, "Oh, yes, with the Alto chassis, converters just cut exhaust and then fabricate to suit", straightforward job then.

Was I glad I had not attempted myself.

.....been there, done that, got the T-shirt (but not the exhaust ;-) )

On my Rapido (Alko-chassised) the system after the front-pipe was non-standard, but as far as I could tell, the front pipe was entirely as it left Fiat.

I cannot work out from the parts shown on the diagram how the spring loaded joint could work . Or have I missed something.

My suspicion is there is an error on the drawing and in reality it should show a pair of nuts and bolts passing through theholes in the flanges with a spring on each bolt bearing on one of the flanges. The bush probably has a spherical seat and is sandwiched between the two flanges. The spring loadingallows ameasureof flexibility in the joint. Without Fiats recomendation how much tension to apply to the springs on refitting measure how long the springs are before dismantling.

I'd agree that the exploded diagram appears to be somewhat over-exploded, and I think, from memory, and if I'm interpreting you correctly, that it is much as you surmise.

The OP, however, will have the benefit of a reference installation. ;-)

(The Fiat eLearn CD I have, which often provides some additional (dis)assembly info, including tightening torques, unfortunately appears to be completely silent on the exhaust front pipe).

Hi,

Thanks everyone, for all the help and advice, but it was a bit to cramped under there and at 4 ton I didn't fancy doing the work on a jack etc. so I took it to a local Garage who do our MOT and they have just replaced the front pipe and fittings etc for £116 inc Vat which I don't think is to bad a price.

Thanks

Brian

Archived